User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Demand Water Heaters....anyone have one?

The one thing the DW misses most from our previous RV with a diesel fired Aqua Hot system is the unlimited hot water you get. So, I am pondering replacing the Atwood with either a Truma or Girard LP demand water heater. The Girard looks easy to swap and they will sell direct to the consumer. Truma apparently is only available through authorized dealers and dealer must install.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these? Particularly interested in Girard since I really need/want to do the install myself.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the search box on the upper side of this page. I recall some questions and comments on these.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    The one thing the DW misses most from our previous RV with a diesel fired Aqua Hot system is the unlimited hot water you get. So, I am pondering replacing the Atwood with either a Truma or Girard LP demand water heater. The Girard looks easy to swap and they will sell direct to the consumer. Truma apparently is only available through authorized dealers and dealer must install.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these? Particularly interested in Girard since I really need/want to do the install myself.
    Are you running both the AC and LP sides of the water heater and still running out? We normally just run the electric unless we're taking back to back showers then we also turn on the LP and I don't think we've ever run out.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than two people taking showers back to back, we've yet to run out of hot water with the 6 gallon Atwood.

I guess I just prefer to keep things simple. My question would be whether the holes on the exterior siding would be the same--if you changed to the on demand heater?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Are you running both the AC and LP sides of the water heater and still running out? We normally just run the electric unless we're taking back to back showers then we also turn on the LP and I don't think we've ever run out.
    Yes, we have both the LP and electric element on at all times. I never run out of hot water since I don't take long showers and have always used the Navy shower method. My wife likes to take long showers and would run water for 20 minutes or more if she could. She has adjusted but I was just curious about the demand water heaters. The Girard is pretty much easy to install and comes with a door that covers the existing opening. We have a tankless water heater in our stick home and I just like the idea and efficiency of heating water only as you need it.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you completed this project? I am very interested in this as well.
    Thank you very much.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I inquired about the Truma Aqua Go, the cost for the unit was about $1400 and the install was another $500. The reviews of the Truma are very good.

We may eventually perform the mod. We have 3 growing boys so our family of 5 has to space the showers out. The kids go first. We wait 30-60 mins. Then we shower. Otherwise we do run out of hot water, even on propane/electric.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by limericc View Post
    Have you completed this project? I am very interested in this as well.
    Thank you very much.
    No. Based on what I can find and read, the Truma is the best option. However, they will not sell them to individuals and you have to go to them or an authorized dealer for installation. I'm now parking the rig on a permanent site in Myrtle Beach and there is no one in the area authorized to install one. The Girard sounds great and looks pretty easy to install but I'm not finding many positive reviews for it. We will do fine with what we have.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]