User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MaxxFan 4500K Installation

After living for 4 years with our 2015 vintage "exhaust only" mini fans in the kitchen and bathroom vents and nothing in the bedroom vent . . . we decided it was time for an upgrade. (We get by just fine in our travels, with one AC). We wandered around the Tampa RV show, trying all different vent fans . . . some of the other brand reps thought we were crazy since most had the AC running. We settled on MaxxFan who are now the supplier on current model GDRV. Since there isn't much price difference in the aftermarket between entry level and top-of-the-line, we went with three 4500K units. 10 speed reversible, wireless remote, rain sensors. (Now we have three more remotes to keep track of LOL!)

Some installation notes:

When they say "remove all the old lap seal and butyl seal" . . . they don't really mean this. You would destroy the roof membrane by the time you got the last film of either of these materials off the membrane. Smooth and even is good. Both the new butyl and the new Dicor lap stick really well to just about anything.

The most difficult part of the job is getting the old Dicor lap seal off. I found that a thin blade metal putty knife with rounded corners was the best tool. Doing this at 80F also helped a lot.

BTW . . . you don't have to figure out how to carry the old vents down the ladder or the new vents up the ladder . . . either will fit diagonally through the vent hole.

The MaxxFan first step is to remove all packaging materials. Don't remove the protective film and foam pad off the top of the cover. Some operations require you to place the vent upside down. Remove this protective material after you install the vent assembly.

MaxxFan instructions say to drive the screws through the plastic frame. Pre-drilling the holes in the plastic works a whole lot better.

These fans are really quiet! Pouring rain here today . . . no leaks and the vents all closed by themselves when the rain started. .

(Yes . . . I know . . . that roof is in desperate need of a wash )

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4102.jpg   IMG_4104.jpg  
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, and an awesome mod!
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    After living for 4 years with our 2015 vintage "exhaust only" mini fans in the kitchen and bathroom vents and nothing in the bedroom vent . . . we decided it was time for an upgrade. (We get by just fine in our travels, with one AC). We wandered around the Tampa RV show, trying all different vent fans . . . some of the other brand reps thought we were crazy since most had the AC running. We settled on MaxxFan who are now the supplier on current model GDRV. Since there isn't much price difference in the aftermarket between entry level and top-of-the-line, we went with three 4500K units. 10 speed reversible, wireless remote, rain sensors. (Now we have three more remotes to keep track of LOL!)

Some installation notes:

When they say "remove all the old lap seal and butyl seal" . . . they don't really mean this. You would destroy the roof membrane by the time you got the last film of either of these materials off the membrane. Smooth and even is good. Both the new butyl and the new Dicor lap stick really well to just about anything.

The most difficult part of the job is getting the old Dicor lap seal off. I found that a thin blade metal putty knife with rounded corners was the best tool. Doing this at 80F also helped a lot.

BTW . . . you don't have to figure out how to carry the old vents down the ladder or the new vents up the ladder . . . either will fit diagonally through the vent hole.

The MaxxFan first step is to remove all packaging materials. Don't remove the protective film and foam pad off the top of the cover. Some operations require you to place the vent upside down. Remove this protective material after you install the vent assembly.

MaxxFan instructions say to drive the screws through the plastic frame. Pre-drilling the holes in the plastic works a whole lot better.

These fans are really quiet! Pouring rain here today . . . no leaks and the vents all closed by themselves when the rain started. .

(Yes . . . I know . . . that roof is in desperate need of a wash )

Rob
    Add the FanMate and you can run the fan when it's raining! Super simple to install--just clips on.

https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/products/covers/fanmate
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Add the FanMate and you can run the fan when it's raining! Super simple to install--just clips on.

https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/products/covers/fanmate
    We have three smoke coloured Maxxair II covers that we put over the original vents, but these will fit the new vents as well. We are really reluctant to reinstall these because they block so much light. The white ones are actually more opaque than the smoke ones. We like the “new found” light through the uncovered open vents. If the rain sensors convince me that they are reliable (so far so good) we will go with these. Interesting that the MaxxFan info says that you can tow with these open or closed. The cover lift mechanism is far more robust than the originals.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rain sensors are nice, but what if you want to open one for fresh air in the rain?

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The rain sensors are nice, but what if you want to open one for fresh air in the rain?

Brian
    Exactly why we put the vent covers over the original vents. Those vents were open most of the time. The light coming through the wide open new vents is just so nice. Decisions . . . decisions .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting how these threads grow, expand and diverge. Sitting here in the rain thinking about should we or should we not put the vent covers back on (see previous discussion) and it occurs to us that what we really need is a solid windproof awning across the back of the trailer. This is also our heaviest sunload exposure, so back window shade would be great. A manually retracted "old style" awning tied down to the bumper when extended would be reasonably solid in a wind, would shade the exposed rear window when it is sunny and allow us to leave this big window open when its is raining. Hmmm . . . where do I find one of these ?? Why is it that spending money on something new causes you to spend more money on something related .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added my second Maxxair Maxfan Deluxe with remotes. Allows you to keep it open during rain but lowers down during travel (can also leave open). Expensive in my opinion but worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5DEBB63D-1185-4407-970D-7ED07A11F4CB.jpeg  
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Interesting how these threads grow, expand and diverge. Sitting here in the rain thinking about should we or should we not put the vent covers back on (see previous discussion) and it occurs to us that what we really need is a solid windproof awning across the back of the trailer. This is also our heaviest sunload exposure, so back window shade would be great. A manually retracted "old style" awning tied down to the bumper when extended would be reasonably solid in a wind, would shade the exposed rear window when it is sunny and allow us to leave this big window open when its is raining. Hmmm . . . where do I find one of these ?? Why is it that spending money on something new causes you to spend more money on something related .

Rob
    Rob, the wall mount box awning like on the back of Momentums would work as you describe. They have support arms if you want to deploy them or not if you don't need them. I added one to my living room slide. One of the best mods I've done.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I just added my second Maxxair Maxfan Deluxe with remotes. Allows you to keep it open during rain but lowers down during travel (can also leave open). Expensive in my opinion but worth it.
    Hi Justa5th,

The model you chose was top of our list until we realized that it blocked all light either open or closed. We went with the MaxxFan 4500K to get full daylight when open.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03_MAXXFAN PLUS_REMOTE OPENING.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast