Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you have heat! Great news
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have heat! Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all of us! Enjoy and Stay warm....lol!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Nothing is good.

Is it possible to change the control board with the furnace still in the RV?

How do you know if you have the correct dinosaur board?
    Thanks, KEN
    In the SF-35Q you can remove the control board from the outside. You take out the 4 screws holding the fan motor housing and pull it out. There is also a tab in the lower right that uses the lower right screw on the housing. On the upper left side of the housing a groove that has a small tin bar, approx. 1/3" x 1.5". When the housing is removed the tin bar slides outward, then you can slide the board outward, be sure to take the furnace fuse out as there are lots of grounding contact points available.

The tech said he had the correct Dinosaur Board, not! Suburban is pretty secretive about their components, they will share with "authorized" suburban repair facilities but don't exactly publish other detail. When I searched for the SF-35Q it wasn't listed on the Dinosaur web site...??? Are they using the same control board? Will the Dinosaur Fan 50 control board work? You have to pony up to find the answer, and once again, your local RV store may or may not be up to date on the changes.

Well the heat worked really well till about 3am, woke up chilly. Got up to investigate, no furnace heat, reset, check propane supply (even though I was 99% sure it was ok). Recycled the thermostat. Fan motor would come on, no propane ignition. Well that's a step in the correct direction, kind of. So I rode into town this morning and bought a new sail switch, aha, when I got it apart there was a tab missing on the old sail switch that would cause it to not have as much drag as the new one and could possibly a failure point. I installed the new sail switch, nada! Fan motor will run, no ignition. My tech is a fireman who works on his days off, he is on shift for 48 hours, not available.

I am a pretty patient and tenacious fellow, but there comes a time when I cut my losses and move on. Today is one of those days. DW has pneumonia, and secondary infections related to it. I can't keep her warm enough. I can't get the furnace to work properly in a timely manner. More days waiting on workmen and parts, DONE!

I am packing up in the morning in a snow storm and dragging ourselves to Las Vegas where it is reasonably warm and I can get authorized Suburban help. Nobody wants to be me in the morning. But I will get this done.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

That sucks that the furnace is not continuing to heat. Ours will heat, but not satisfying the thermostat all the way to desired temp. We are not snow camping. The rig is in the driveway.

Be safe tomorrow. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Sorry to hear about your heater troubles Dallas I hope your luck improves in LV. Hang in there!

Best regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas
    We are all pulling for you. Hope the wife gets better soon, and you don't need a heater any more until it is fixed.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I am packing up in the morning in a snow storm and dragging ourselves to Las Vegas where it is reasonably warm and I can get authorized Suburban help. Nobody wants to be me in the morning. But I will get this done.
    Wishing you a safe journey to Vegas, Dallas, and a quick recovery for your DW. Please update when you get settled.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got lucky, sun was out this morning. Me and a neighbor pulled and packed the skirt, it was wet, but I will deal with that when get someplace warm. 3 months stationary and I got the RV packed up in 4 hours, lot of work. I will have a lot more work to do when we get to the rally, hope I have time to see events. We have a couple of days to kill before we get there, thinking Valley of Fire State Park. We are drifting in the wind for the next couple of days. Furnace parts are ordered, repair scheduled for the 15, new brakes scheduled for the 18. Busy time for us.
    Dallas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The final chapter. At 9:25 am the heater came on and did not quit. Now for the test of time.

After installing the new sail switch that didn't resolve the issue we packed up from ski country and came to the Las Vegas GD rally early. I ordered a SF-35Q furnace tune up kit with control board from PDX Rv Wholesale along with a new plastic squirrel cage.

I went to the Suburban dealer locator page and found a Suburban authorized mobile tech and called and made an appointment with them. We got all settled into Oasis for the rally, when we checked in to Oasis they gave me a list mobile techs they allowed to operate in their rv resort. ??? Apparently there were some bad characters operating as mobile techs, the RV resort has vetted the repair people on their list, if you are not on the list you will not get past the gate guard. The place I called was not on the list and would not be allowed to work here, I called them and cancelled the appointment.

So while sipping my morning coffee yesterday I spotted the Busted Knuckles mobile repair truck drive by. I checked the list and sure enough he was authorized by the resort to work in the resort. So I called him. He spent several hours diagnosing the furnace. We chased a gremlin, it would work, it wouldn't work. He had a really cool line tester, I want one, he just hooked it on a wire and it told him how much voltage was running through the wire. The really weird thing was the voltage on the sail switch wire would slowly drop, then the furnace would cut off. Round and round he went chasing the power drop. He found some loose connectors and tightened them. Ultimately he concluded the control board was acting funky.

My parts I ordered came in, he came back out this morning, put the new control board in and the correct squirrel cage. Still wasn't working. He got on the line with Suburban, they went through a diagnosis routine again and concluded he sail switch was bad, it was the 3rd one. The Suburban guy said that is not unusual, new sail switch in. Yahoo we have heat again.

Invoice for the repair, $888. Extended warranty company authorized the repair, I traded the parts I bought for my deductible payment and we shook on it.

I thought Rob's idea of keeping a spare furnace on hand was overkill, but I am rethinking that. When it's 10 degrees outside you don't want to be messing around for over 2 weeks getting a furnace repaired. And only time will tell if it is really fixed.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why i have one of these...there is a old adage in the teams, "One is None"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture 22.JPG  
    Last edited by Coheeba; 03-14-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast