User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 385TH has the same furnace. I replace the limit switch in the summer every 2 years (they tend to go out on a regular basis, so I bought about 8 of them) and I have replacement sail switches. I just looked up the entire furnace on Amazon. $477.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the costs of the different parts?
    blower wheel
    control board
    sail switch
    thermostats
    etc.

How hard would it be to connect a complete furnace assy outside the RV to bench test it? Just 12 v power and propane I think.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    How hard would it be to connect a complete furnace assy outside the RV to bench test it? Just 12 v power and propane I think.
    KEN
    The only other thing you might need to verify operation of the complete system would be a thermostat. There are four wires and a propane line going to the furnace. Reproduce these and you can bench test it. As I mentioned in a previous post . . . if I was camping in the cold and depending on that furnace . . . I would have a complete spare on hand.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just when I thought we had it whipped it quits again. Fortunately the RV tech is a good guy with a sense of professional pride, he fixed that damn furnace, so he wasn't messing around when he came back. He replaced the limit switch. Knock on wood it has relit 5 times since this morning. Did we get it? Back to the test of time.

Orbiker, you asked;
    What are the costs of the different parts?
    blower wheel $15
    control board $125
    sail switch $10
    thermostats $ didn't get one
    Limit Switch $6

$185 dollars got the PDX tuneup kit and squirrel cage. Included a new flame tube, limit switch, sail switch, ignitor, and control board.

Supposedly there is a way to disconnect the propane and power and pull the guts out for bench testing, I didn't get that deep into it.

Interesting factoid; to replace the limit switch you do not have to remove the entire furnace nor the pull the internal furnace. On the Momentum 376 with SF-35Q furnace you can remove the 2 left front most ducts and reach the limit switch, much better than removing panels and pulling the furnace. After all it's just a quarter sized component held on by 2 small machine screws and 2 wires.

Props to JcMooney who has loaned me his Manometer to test for leaks in my propane lines. I'll get that done tomorrow but don't really expect any surprises.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a crazy ride. I really hope you got it this time.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still working this morning, yeah! I was talking with a GD rep at the Las Vegas Rally this evening. He told me you can't pull the internal parts through the outside door, but I am not sure he was really cognizant of the unit we were talking about, it was a casual conversation over dinner.

Before this next winter's adventure I will have on board the following: Fan motor, control board, 3 sail switches, 2 limit switches. Essentially that will replace the components in a furnace that "usually" go bad. Also, if there is a failure sail switch, limit switch and control board get replaced automatically, fan motor is pretty obvious whether it is working or not. The reason being is takes more money in labor to determine who is the culprit than it cost's to replace all three and see if it works.
    Dallas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not getting the warm fuzzies about suburban products! My 2002 Holiday Rambler that is now just my hunting rig, has attwood components. My blower motor died a year ago and it was an easy fix. Never had to mess with anything else other than a new dinosaur control board. I am not happy with the amount of heat produced by the Suburban 35k series in our Solitude. I am considering several different options. Option one, upgrade to a Suburban 42k furnace, fan draws more amps, but more heat available. Option two, add a secondary furnace and use it to just heat the storage and under belly. Then block those outlets on the oem furnace so all of the heat goes into the interior. Option three, make some adjustable dampers to control air flow to the storage and underbelly when not needed.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I am not getting the warm fuzzies about suburban products!
    Any or all of the above. I looked at the 42, same size box. Is it worth the effort/expense? Don't know. I think my former SOB was better insulation, our neighbors last winter had half the heating cost we did. I think there are better winter rigs out there. We got the 376 because it allows our motorcycles to live "indoors" during the winter, plus a good place while towing. I hope you find heating nirvana, in the mean time we will just roll with the flow.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My intermittent problems seemed to go away after unplugging the connectors on the control board a few times.

It's someone else's problem now. Traded in the 380TH for a 374TH-R Solitude. I'm sure there will be new problems in due time ( including a new inverter issue already ). KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This all sucks, My fan won't even come on. I work from pre dawn till dark and messed with it last night but didn't pull it out. My wife is going to CW today to see if they have a new one because I don't have time to troubleshoot until Sunday. If they don't......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast