User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could I be so lucky? HW50C EMS on the cheap...

I'm still a month from picking up the new trailer... it's in.. but with the poor weather we're putting it off. Why bother picking up a trailer early we are not going to use when the warranty starts immediately. That said, we have been collecting lots of stuff for the new trailer that is starting to fill up the garage. This includes a 340W solar set up with a 2000W inverter/charger and 3 Battleborn batteries. Also on the list a new Dirt devil central vac, water pump accumulator and tons of other knickknacks.

On the "would like to have list" was the HW50C EMS. I consider this more of a luxury item as we've been trailering for over 14 years and have never had any power problems, I'm just a gadget person and like the ability to see the current flowing and know there is surge protection just in case. I've been monitoring the EMS on eBay for a few months and there of been lots of "for parts" models anywhere from $75 to $125 USD. Proper new in box items are usually over the $300 USD mark.

That said I did set up a search parameter on eBay for the HW50C for "new" or "new other" under $300. The other week a "new other" popped up for $105.50 USD. This was a typical "for parts" price so I was a bit cynical of the ad saying it was new, just an open box. The seller was a typical eBay reseller with a myriad of different items for sale. I considered this risky and really pondered this purchase for over an hour before committing to the $105.50 buy it now price. I figured if it was a dud eBay would cover me with the buyer protection.

I picked up the HW50C from my parcel place over the border yesterday and decided I needed to test it ASAP... just in case. I converted my garage car charger plug from a dryer to a range plug. I rigged up the HW50C with two outlets and plugged in two 1500W heaters as a test (one for each phase on a split plug). It was immediate disappointment when the unit went straight to error E-2 (open ground). I knew my outlet ground was good as I tested it beforehand. Withdrawn I sat on the garage floor staring at the unit... then I saw it... a loose green wire with a terminal ring not connected in the bottom of the housing. Hooked it up and success... fully operational. The unit was complete with remote/cable/terminals. The only thing I found missing was one of the 6 screws to hold the lid on. If only every deal in life was this good! I wonder if it got to the reseller due to being non-functional with the disconnected ground?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50c.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	462.9 KB 
ID:	18030
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did good. I just purchased a new one for my new Momentum 394....which we are getting tomorrow. The cheapest I could find one was $299, but that did include free shipping and no sales tax. I'm not going camping without one.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"