User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    All the more reasons I'm glad I went back to a gaser.
    Cant argue that either! These new diesels are getting insanely complicated. But for pulling heavy still no substitute.

I remember the first time i pulled through the mountains with my old Dodge V10. I thought it was blowing up, just no power up high.

Now if they add a turbo to the big V8's Hmmmm??
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On todays diesel engines does the check engine light come on if motor is running while fueling?
    I have had this happen on gas vehicles.

Brian

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Have the BHLs changed the law so you can pump your own fuel in OR now, or is the full employment law still in effect?
    Oregon still doesn't allow motorists to pump their own fuel. I guess it's residents (me included) aren't smart enough to figure out how to do it. If you need to get fuel in Oregon, you better not be in a hurry. It's not uncommon to sit for five minutes waiting for the attendant to help you and another few minutes after the pump shuts off for him to come back and put your cap back on. And you need to be extra careful when asking for diesel to make sure the attendant actually pumps the right fuel.

Sorry for the rant. One of my pet peeves as an Oregon resident.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Oregon still doesn't allow motorists to pump their own fuel. I guess it's residents (me included) aren't smart enough to figure out how to do it. If you need to get fuel in Oregon, you better not be in a hurry. It's not uncommon to sit for five minutes waiting for the attendant to help you and another few minutes after the pump shuts off for him to come back and put your cap back on. And you need to be extra careful when asking for diesel to make sure the attendant actually pumps the right fuel.

When I was in Oregon last summer, I think it was Newport, I pulled up to the pump and waited for the attendant. He finally came out after several minutes and informed me that I could pump my own diesel. It was now only gas that required an attendant.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^That has been my experience also.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

Outside Portland or Bend (+counties with 40k+ residents), you're allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pump diesel. You can only pump your own gas in certain rural towns during certain hours.
    You can pump your own gas if you're riding a motorcycle. I should say that the attendant will give you the nozzle. They start the pump and finish the transaction. I used to do my own process and never had trouble. Most attendants are scared to drip gas on MC tanks.
    https://kval.com/news/auto-matters/w...-gas-in-oregon

I always found the reasons stupid why Oregon won't allow pumping your own gas. What do Ore residents do when they go to WA, CA, Id, etc?
    Last edited by goducks14; 03-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Have the BHLs changed the law so you can pump your own fuel in OR now, or is the full employment law still in effect?

Cal
    Yes, in Oregon now you can pump your own diesel, but not all stations will allow it. Some refuse to turn the pump on until an attendant comes out.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    The part most vulnerable to heat is the turbocharger. In the days before water cooling the turbo's bearing, they would frequently cook the oil on the bearing if not properly idled down. This would coke the bearing and wear it out sometimes causing the impeller to hit the housing and oiling up the intake tract. I had a little Saab 900 Turbo that did this, so I learned the hard way and replaced a turbo.
    The turbo bearings are jacketed and water cooled these days which really helps. In any case, I'd never run hard and immediately kill the engine. Usually when I pull off for fuel there is enough light load and idling that I feel comfortable shutting down to fuel up. Rest stops right off the highway I'll idle for a 2 or 3 minutes. Non towing I don't feel is too critical, unless I've been on boost a lot in the past couple of minutes. Boost = heat.
    I agree with this, usually by the time one has navigated off the interstate and to the gas station the turbo has cooled sufficiently. Where you need to be more cautious is those cases where the fuel station or rest stops are right off the freeway, which does not allow sufficient time for the turbo to cool. I have an Edge gauges installed which indicates turbo EGR temperature, I'll idle until the EGR drops below 350 degrees.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    On todays diesel engines does the check engine light come on if motor is running while fueling?
    I have had this happen on gas vehicles.

Brian
    The check engine light doesn’t come on if I fuel my Chevy with the motor running. I have the same year truck as you do.

Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast