User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    mtnguy I have the same deal with mine. 3500 miles, just flipped over 100 hours and the idle time is 20 hours, that's 20% No way its idled that long but I guess it adds up. idle time hitching and unhitching and cooling at rest stops etc. I guess even the idle time at stoplights and slow traffic adds to it. I'm not going to worry about it, change the oil regular and sleep well haha.

I could not find documentation on it, but I have read that Ford records anything less than some significant speed (around 35 MPH?) to be idle time. For me, that is pretty much any driving around town. I was surprised how high the speed was to not be considered "idle" time.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    ...Could you tell me more about your system?
    Sure! I purchased the OBDII reader/scanner from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reader above is for Android devices but you can also get them for iOS. There are dozens available from many different manufacturers. You can either get wifi or Bluetooth readers. I've used both but prefer Bluetooth. You then just download an app to your phone (again, there are many available). Some are free. Some cost $5 or $10. I use Torque for my truck but I've also used OBD Fusion for my cars.

You plug the OBDII reader/scanner into the OBDII port under your dash. The reader sends the data to the app on your phone via Bluetooth or wifi. You need to go into the app and choose the data you'd like to display in the app. You can customize the display in the app by choosing the data you want to display, where on the screen you want to display it, the size and style of the gauges, etc. Not all vehicles will capture all data. It's possible since your truck is older that it won't have EGT data. That is pure speculation on my part. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying. I just want you to know there are some limitations to the data that is available on older vehicles. There are many people here on the forum that are far more knowledgable about this stuff than me. Maybe they can help. But, the reader only costs $23 and there are free apps available so if it doesn't work, you're only out $23. You can use the OBDII reader to read and clear error codes so it has other uses that make it a valuable tool to have even if you can't read EGT temps.

I only plug the OBDII reader into the truck when I'm towing. I then use an old Android phone I had laying around and set the phone in the console so I can see it while driving. This allows me to use my iPhone for phone calls or CarPlay or whatever while driving (hands free of course). You can monitor a lot of data points other than EGT temps so it's pretty cool.

Being able to display EGT temps while climbing hills is really nice. I also like to monitor temps when I stop so I can let the truck idle and the EGT temps drop before shutting off the engine.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Sure! I purchased the OBDII reader/scanner from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reader above is for Android devices but you can also get them for iOS. There are dozens available from many different manufacturers. You can either get wifi or Bluetooth readers. I've used both but prefer Bluetooth. You then just download an app to your phone (again, there are many available). Some are free. Some cost $5 or $10. I use Torque for my truck but I've also used OBD Fusion for my cars.

You plug the OBDII reader/scanner into the OBDII port under your dash. The reader sends the data to the app on your phone via Bluetooth or wifi. You need to go into the app and choose the data you'd like to display in the app. You can customize the display in the app by choosing the data you want to display, where on the screen you want to display it, the size and style of the gauges, etc. Not all vehicles will capture all data. It's possible since your truck is older that it won't have EGT data. That is pure speculation on my part. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying. I just want you to know there are some limitations to the data that is available on older vehicles. There are many people here on the forum that are far more knowledgable about this stuff than me. Maybe they can help. But, the reader only costs $23 and there are free apps available so if it doesn't work, you're only out $23. You can use the OBDII reader to read and clear error codes so it has other uses that make it a valuable tool to have even if you can't read EGT temps.

I only plug the OBDII reader into the truck when I'm towing. I then use an old Android phone I had laying around and set the phone in the console so I can see it while driving. This allows me to use my iPhone for phone calls or CarPlay or whatever while driving (hands free of course). You can monitor a lot of data points other than EGT temps so it's pretty cool.

Being able to display EGT temps while climbing hills is really nice. I also like to monitor temps when I stop so I can let the truck idle and the EGT temps drop before shutting off the engine.
    Brian, you and 1 click just cost me $22.99+tax. When will it end!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    The $12.00 annual fee for this forum is peanuts compared to what this forum has cost me. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    The $12.00 annual fee for this forum is peanuts compared to what this forum has cost me. . . . .
    Yeah, but look at all the cool stuff we have now
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My diesel is older (7.3) and I let it idle while refueling to cool it down, and in summer to keep the cab cold. When I arrive at a destination I cool down to 300 on the egt before shutting down. When leaving my truck idle I throw a steering wheel club on it if I have to go in the mini mart, and I lock the door with a key which is the only way it will lock when running. The key for the steering wheel club is NOT on the key ring in the cab, I have always carried separate key rings, my main one and the vehicle ones are always separate. Extended idling when not necessary is not good for any vehicle and wastes fuel and creates un-necessary emissions. That being said we have experienced border crossing wait times in excess of two hours in 100 plus temps, I really wish I had an AIC in those circumstances but I just use my foot to keep the egts from getting too low.
    Last edited by bigb56; 03-04-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    lol dagnabbit I'm ordering this today too. Wonder how much weight we've added to these things with all the gadgets we've bought!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I agree that manufacturers should include EGT gauges on diesel trucks. I use an OBDII adapter and an app on my phone to monitor EGT temps.
    I am also curious about the app. The app that came with my obdii adapter has a dizzying number of choices related to egt.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I am also curious about the app. The app that came with my obdii adapter has a dizzying number of choices related to egt.
    Torque Pro with the extended Ford Powerstroke PIDS works for me. Of course my truck is too old for EGT I have an analog gauge for that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345