User Tag List

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Potential Safety Issue - Transcend 29TBS - Electrical Short Circuit

If you own a 29TBS, be advised that another owner reported a short circuit along with sparks and smoke in their 2019 29TBS. There is a cabinet that contains a drain pipe and the water heater. Underneath the drain pipe, there is an electrical connection screwed to the floor. In this case, the drain pipe leaked directly on top of the connector which shorted out. I'm making sure GDRV management knows of the issue. In the mean time, if you have this model, you may want to look into rerouting that electrical connection to get it off the floor.

Leaking Pipe

Shorted Connector

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Grand Design team is aware of the problem. They report that their code/compliance and Transcend management team are evaluating the situation.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be more concerned where the water came from...Not good in any case...

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Phonemannn - The water was from a simple drain leak. Easily fixed.

All - I heard from GDRV management this evening. They are working to move all Molex Connectors off of the floor. I'd suggest you check your own models and if you have a Molex connector mounted to the floor, consider moving it. This is especially true if it's anywhere that water can collect.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Phonemannn - The water was from a simple drain leak. Easily fixed.

All - I heard from GDRV management this evening. They are working to move all Molex Connectors off of the floor. I'd suggest you check your own models and if you have a Molex connector mounted to the floor, consider moving it. This is especially true if it's anywhere that water can collect.

Jim
    Jim,

Great job in going above and beyond following up on this issue! Kudos![emoji106]

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Jim has mentioned above and with hopes of not going off topic, Has anyone seen these connectors in any other models in an area of concern like this?
    If so we should start a new thread.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    As Jim has mentioned above and with hopes of not going off topic, Has anyone seen these connectors in any other models in an area of concern like this?
    If so we should start a new thread.

Brian
    Yes. I believe Rob @Cate&Rob found and documented these connectors behind the fireplace in his Reflection.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Yes. I believe Rob @Rob&Cate found and documented these connectors behind the fireplace in his Reflection.

Chris
    The Molex connector failure that I experienced was an under floor connector that appears to have been bent sideways and physically broken. These connectors are used wherever solid core "house" wiring is connected to flexible wiring that has to move with slide travel.

There are 3 circuits that go from the main trailer to the "kitchen" slide. 1) Microwave, 2) Fireplace, 3) Fridge & other outlets. These three interior Molex connectors are screwed to the slide floor behind the fireplace. Not too much risk of water back here . . . but, anything is possible from a slide roof/wall leak. The three underbelly Molex connectors are jumbled in with the mess of wiring underneath.

The failure that we experienced (after more than 3 years of towing) appears to be that this jumble of wire floated around until the slide drive mechanism ran into the unsecured Molex connector and broke it.

You can read the whole story of how I solved this mess at https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...600#post206600

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3853.jpg   IMG_3846.jpg   IMG_3749.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is another one of these connectors installed on the floor under a maze of plumbing. Not good.

Jim