User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEF Question

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just add 2.5 gallons from jugs once my DEF gauge is reading 66% or lower.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 03-02-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    When I bought my first diesel truck that used DEF, I bought a couple jugs of DEF to have on hand. I later learned that DEF has a limited shelf life so I stopped storing it and instead only buy a jug when my truck gets low. The system gives you plenty of warning. I know a lot of people buy DEF at truck stops but after looking at the DEF pumps there (usually filthy dirty), I choose to just buy jugs of Blue DEF and check the date codes to make sure it's fresh. IMO, DEF is cheap - even when buying the 2.5g jugs. Plus I don't want any chance of using contaminated DEF. I want to do everything I can to minimize the chance of a fuel system failure.
    Me too and not all DEF sold at stations is cheaper.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for your responses. It sounds like I should just keep filling from the jugs or pump only when needed.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 ram didn’t like the DEF from the island. I got a service DEF light 2 seperate times from 2 seperate stations.
    2019 31MB
    2004 Dodge 2500 5.9
    2015 Jeep 4 door
    1998 Mustang 5.3l turbo

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Nope, I don't carry it with me. When my dash display shows 500 miles of DEF left I just go through the diesel islands and pump it in. I figure with all of the trucks using it at those pumps it will be fresh.
    Exactly. That and a fill up seems to go forever. I've only ever filled up def at the pump
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 SB SRW Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the Shell diesel talk snagged me since I used to work for Shell Pipeline.
    Shell Pipeline has most of it product(gasoline, diesel, jet fuel) pipelines in California, Texas and part ownership in the big Colonial and Explorer gasoline & diesel pipelines that feeds the East.
    Shell Pipeline does ship diesel by rail car from their terminal in Pasadena, TX. The Shell Deer Park Refinery sent their fuel to our terminal tanks for distribution.
    The marketing terminals/truck racks inject the additives to the gasoline at the truck racks.

I vaguely remember that companies would have marketing agreements for areas they didn't have distribution to.

Like: https://www.suncor.com/about-us/prod...and-exxonmobil
    Shell and ExxonMobil

Suncor has agreements with Shell and ExxonMobil that authorize Suncor to use the Shell, Exxon, and Mobil brands at its own stores and sublicense these brands to our marketers, to whom Suncor supplies wholesale Shell, Exxon and Mobil branded fuels. Suncor has its own network of retail sites across Colorado, where we sell fuel products under the Shell, Exxon, and Mobil brands.

Suncor supplies about 35% of Colorado's gasoline and diesel fuel demand. We blend 10% ethanol into gasoline at our Commerce City refinery and sell it through our retail network. Ethanol as a fuel additive is mandated in certain parts of Colorado during the winter months.

https://www.shell.us/business-custom...tomer-map.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shell Pipeline Map.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	18068
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy a 2.5 gallon jug of Walmart Brand, Super Tech, and pour it in when the gauge reads 1/2. I do check that the seal under the cap is still intact before leaving the store. I’ve never had an issue using the inexpensive Super Tech brand.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12