User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM New HD 6.6L SIDI Gas Engine

Here is a video showcasing the new GM SIDI gas engine for HD trucks. Just look at those runner lengths!!

Now if I could just see the beauty in the new HD Chevy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEBiVx8RW1o
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Here is a video showcasing the new GM SIDI gas engine for HD trucks. Just look at those runner lengths!!

Now if I could just see the beauty in the new HD Chevy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEBiVx8RW1o
    Hi Jim,

Great video! This could be our next truck .

But, I don't know how much I will notice the "new power"
    The new GM 6.6 = 401 HP @ 5200 RPM & 464 Lb Ft of Torque @ 4000 RPM.
    My little 3.5 Ecoboost = 375 HP @ 5000 RPM and 470 Lb Ft of Torque at 3500 RPM.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

Rob
    That Little ford engine is the Little engine that could!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

Rob
    Rob,
    My bet is you would notice this off the line and during shifts with the new HD engine. At altitude, the turbo will continue to deliver where the naturally aspirated engine will lose torque. Some of this can be made up with higher RPM in the NA engine. Also the Ecoboost (a great engine) would not last in a HD application under severe service. Same can be said for high performance engines in this application as well. They have to be designed from the ground up to deal with constant high loading and to reject all the heat that is produced in the HD environment. Direct injection makes big low end torque for example my 5.3L makes very similar power and torque as the old GM 6.0L workhorse. But my 5.3L is also not a HD engine. The new 6.6 has the benefits of DI (costs more too), simplicity and lower cost with NA, regular grade fuel, and designed for this environment. I expect another benefit of this engine in the HD segment should be good fuel economy but we will see.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 03-02-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim @MidwestCamper,

I agree with you on all points (and, like I said . . . this is likely our next truck)
    I really appreciate the insight that you provide on these discussions.
    A good point, that I have to run premium fuel to get these numbers with the Ecoboost.

If Ford were to offer "Ecoboost technology" in a V8 . . . they would probably give up half of their diesel sales . . . probably not a good business plan!

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-02-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,
    My bet is you would notice this off the line and during shifts with the new HD engine. At altitude, the turbo will continue to deliver where the naturally aspirated engine will lose torque. Some of this can be made up with higher RPM in the NA engine. Also the Ecoboost (a great engine) would not last in a HD application under severe service. Same can be said for high performance engines in this application as well. They have to be designed from the ground up to deal with constant high loading and to reject all the heat that is produced in the HD environment. Direct injection makes big low end torque for example my 5.3L makes very similar power and torque as the old GM 6.0L workhorse. But my 5.3L is also not a HD engine. The new 6.6 has the benefits of DI (costs more too), simplicity and lower cost with NA, regular grade fuel, and designed for this environment. I expect another benefit of this engine in the HD segment should be good fuel economy but we will see.
    Jim
    Don’t discount your 5.3. Structurally it is pretty much identical to the old 6.0l.
    2019 31MB
    2004 Dodge 2500 5.9
    2015 Jeep 4 door
    1998 Mustang 5.3l turbo

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spedly,

True in its basic form but its not the same. For the HD environment the low CR iron block L96 has run its course. The new engine with its common SB bore spacing is designed from the ground up for the HD segment while it also shares the same basic theme. Can't wait to drive one, but unfortunately the wife is due the next vehicle so I will need to wait before buying one.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 03-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB