Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS Install 367 BHS

Curious if anyone who owns a Reflection 367 BHS has installed an EMS? Im looking at probably buying a Progressive Industries EMS HW 50 C, hardwired unit, and curious where the best place to install is.

I was thinking close to the 50 Amp cord connection, which would be behind the couch. I assume there's a false panel there that the wiring is behind. If the unit makes any humming noise at all, that won't work, as wife's ears are sensitive.

If not there, Im guessing behind the fuse/breaker panel in the bunkhouse, just don't know if there's room there.

Would appreciate thoughts from others who have done the same, or contemplated the same. Is there a benefit for installing it closer to power source vs closer to fuse/breaker panel?

Thanks
    Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant help in the specific location, but will say the unit does not make any noise during normal operation. You will hear a loud click once after initially hooking into shore power and you will hear the same type of click if the unit shuts off power to the RV if it detects a fault in the shore power input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally, the best place to wire them in is somewhere between where the power comes into the trailer and the transfer switch....if you have an onboard generator....I don't know if you do or not, I'm not familiar with your particular trailer. Anyway, if the EMS has the remote display unit with it, that is something to think about also, as to where you are going to place that. So, just keep those factors in mind when choosing a location and try to pick a location that will require the least amount of crawling into tight quarters and have access to be able to do the actual install....for both the EMS unit and the remote display. Hopefully, someone that has that exact model will come along and give you some actual location tips/suggestions.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... good points.

Nope, no generator...

If there's room behind the couch (say a false wall), I kinda thought it might be easier to wire it between the internal wiring and the 50 AMP plug. That way, if I ever had to remove it, I could wire the internal wiring back to the plug.

I read Howson's writeup, just from an install perspective (very well done), and his was behind the circuit breaker panel. I think the thought process can work the same either way.. Not cutting the wiring, but disconnect at plug (or at circuit panel), and wire that part into the output side, and then add new wiring (couple feet) for the input side. Wire input side to plug.

Location of remote is certainly a consideration. Maybe if I put it in the bunkhouse, I can mount the display next to the control panel for all the slides etc.. these are on the BH wall.

Thanks for the inputs thus far!

Edit: Obviously if wiring at plug, internal wiring would be on output side. If wiring behind circuit panel, internal wire feed to circuit panel would be to the input side. Just clarifying for other readers.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 03-03-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got our new Momentum 394 yesterday, and I already have a 50A Progressive EMS to go in it. Obviously our trailers are two totally different floor plans, but I will probably put the remote in the side of the kitchen cabinet where the Lippert one touch control panel interface is located. It is straight above where the existing wiring is for the power coming in and the transfer switch, plus, after plugging in to the shore power, I can check things out just by opening the front door of the Toy Hauler and looking at it. I thought about putting it in the Nautilus panel area, but if there is an issue with power at the park, I would have to go outside to check and see what is going on. This way, it's right there by the Lippert control interface.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, more I think about it, Im leaning towards mounting in bunkhouse, behind circuit panel, and mount the remote monitor on the same external wall (where the light and slide controls are). That's right in front of the entry door. So, when I plug in, I could just look in entry door to make sure it powers up properly.

Sometimes it just helps to talk it out loud.

Thanks

Mike

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike

That sounds like a good plan. You may also look behind the false wall in the pass thru storage and see if the power cord comes thru there. Mounting the display at the control panel is what I did as well, easy to check and see if anything is wrong.

Brian

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Yeah, more I think about it, Im leaning towards mounting in bunkhouse, behind circuit panel, and mount the remote monitor on the same external wall (where the light and slide controls are). That's right in front of the entry door. So, when I plug in, I could just look in entry door to make sure it powers up properly.

Sometimes it just helps to talk it out loud.

Thanks

Mike
    And there you go, you've got a plan! Boom.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually