Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F150 Eco-Boost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 Eco-Boost

Is anybody towing a Reflection 315RLTS with a Ford F150 Eco-Boost?
    Mine has the max tow and heavy duty payload, which allows 11100# trailer and 2310# payload.
    I know this unit will put me pretty close to max, but I'm curious to hear if anybody already has this setup.
    My present 5th wheel has a GVWR of 11625# and the truck handles it very well.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd S View Post
    Mine has the max tow and heavy duty payload, which allows 11100# trailer and 2310# payload.
    I know this unit will put me pretty close to max, but I'm curious to hear if anybody already has this setup.
    Hi Lloyd,

While the F150 HDPP can handle a 10,000 lb 5th wheel (as we both know) you will run into a limitation at the hitch for a TT. All half tons (even the HDPP) have Class IV hitches limited to about 1200 lbs with a WDH. The 315RLTS has a dry hitch weight of over 1000 lbs. Loaded for camping plus the hitch and you will be well into Class V hitch territory.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Lloyd,

While the F150 HDPP can handle a 10,000 lb 5th wheel (as we both know) you will run into a limitation at the hitch for a TT. All half tons (even the HDPP) have Class IV hitches limited to about 1200 lbs with a WDH. The 315RLTS has a dry hitch weight of over 1000 lbs. Loaded for camping plus the hitch and you will be well into Class V hitch territory.

Rob
    Darn, I hadn't thought about that blessed Class IV hitch.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Lloyd,
    You state you're pulling a fifth wt GVWR of 11. 625 but what is actual loaded trailer weight ? In case, I ever need to
    replace my TV (unwillingly), I'd ike to have options to replace it w/o dropping 75K on a new diesel TV... My 307 fifth weighs in at 10, 900 fully loaded even though it has a GVWR of 12,995. I never load more than a 1,000 #s even for my extended trips.

How does your TV handle those mountain graded out West ??

Thanks,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hey Lloyd,
    You state you're pulling a fifth wt GVWR of 11. 625 but what is actual loaded trailer weight ? In case, I ever need to
    replace my TV (unwillingly), I'd ike to have options to replace it w/o dropping 75K on a new diesel TV... My 307 fifth weighs in at 10, 900 fully loaded even though it has a GVWR of 12,995. I never load more than a 1,000 #s even for my extended trips.

Thanks,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I thought I had an old scale ticket showing the weight, but it was not correct.
    To answer the rest of your post--It handled the mountains of CO.,WY., and MT. just fine. Either going up, or down. It does like a little more gas tho when working hard. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a F150 and would not even for a moment have thought about trying to pull my 315RLTS.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hey Lloyd,

Thanks,
    Michael
    Hi Michael,

If you get the weight up over the axle (5th wheel) and stay below the 17,000 lb GCWR of the HDPP F150, you are within the specs of the truck. At its limits . . . but, within what it has been validated to do. We have hauled our 10,000 lb Reflection with our 6,000 lb F150 for thousands of miles. The turbocharged Ecoboost has the same power at 10,000 ft as it has at sea level (according to Ford). There are posts on this forum that confirm this. We have never been much above 2000 ft (in the Appalachians) but our HDPP F150 handles the extended 6% up-grades and down-grades with no problems.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Lloyd,

Rob
    Rob
    Wouldn't a weight distributing hitch transfer enough weight from the tongue to the front of the truck to compensate that?
    I have to admit, I haven't had a tt for a long time and I'm kinda in the dark on trying to get this figured out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob
    Wouldn't a weight distributing hitch transfer enough weight from the tongue to the front of the truck to compensate that?
    I have to admit, I haven't had a tt for a long time and I'm kinda in the dark on trying to get this figured out.
    Hi Lloyd,

If you look on the underside of your hitch frame, you will find a label like the attached (maybe . . . exactly like the attached ) As you can see, Ford has already calculated the WDH limit vs the "weight carrying" limit. This is the "nominal 1200 lb" (or 1150 lb in this case) WDH limit of the Class IV hitch.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1430.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ALWAYS look at the GVWR for the trailer, and multiply that by 13%. In your case, that would be 1,429. With hitch, probably 1,530. WAY over capacity for your receiver.
    Sure, that is the max number, and you may not ever get to that...but since the wildly optimistic hitch weight published is already close, just adding a battery, propane and hitch will likely put you over the mark.

As for towing, I did 11,500 miles to all three coasts and several trips into and over the Rockies/Sierras with a fifth that weighed the same as my current trailer. I could always pass semi's going up the long grades, even at very high altitudes. With the fifth, mpg was 10.5 over the life.
    With the travel trailer I have now, mpg is about 8-8.5 after 4500 miles. I blame aerodynamic drag due to have several feet more sticking out behind than I had before.
    Last edited by sande005; 03-04-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast