User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dangers of roof snow removal

There is a little debate as to whether or not one should remove the snow from the roof while winter camping. I am in the "remove it" camp, and I keep my roof and slides clear.

I have an elderly neighbor, 82, who has struggled this winter with snow removal. Ceratoid artery surgery didn't help. So I noticed when they were arriving/leaving their RV that snow/ice would drop down, sometimes on them, sometimes just the steps. So I offered to help, being the average proud folks they said no thanks, his wife (74) will get up there when it warms up and get it clear. I told them I was bored and needed some exercise and it would really do me some good to get up on something high so I could practice my technical rock climbing skills, hmm, well ok, just don't throw ice on the bird feeder.... You gotta love folks, they are so interesting.

It was a bit more onerous than I had anticipated, they had pretty much let it go all winter. So they had 6" of ice covered with heavy wet snow. I managed to get it all off but worked up a good sweat doing it. Job done, neighbors safe for the rest of the winter. As I was crawling down from the roof I noticed this little warning placket, no wonder I was having trouble keeping my feet under me.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190303_144653291.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	18088
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, you're a good man!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atta boy Dallas.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nice guy.

What is the desired tools for snow removal on an RV roof?

How deep is the snow on the ground to help pad your fall? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So folks know per GD the roofs can handle several feet of snow - nothing official but was told dealers in Canada rarely clear theirs off and no issues so far.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    So folks know per GD the roofs can handle several feet of snow - nothing official but was told dealers in Canada rarely clear theirs off and no issues so far.
    Snow and even ice on the roof, by itself should not be a problem if the temps remain fairly constant. In our part of the country, it’s the fluctuations of freeze-thaw, rinse, repeat ad nauseum, that create problems. The roof membrane should not be affected by these cycles, but just as water backs up and freezes under shingle edges/flashing, the same might happen to the Dicor caulk blobs and the seal tape around structural flanges.
    D2Reid, you did a very nice thing. Here’s to ya!
    (one for your kindness, one for the carrier bringing your furnace fan)
    N
    Last edited by Houndbb; 03-05-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think there would be a difference between slides with just the snow cover and slides that have had the heat on to thaw and refreeze over and over. Just think of roads with just a snow cover is no problem. That same road with snow that melts and runs down into any little openings or cracks and refreezes. Now you have problems.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-05-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    What a nice guy.

What is the desired tools for snow removal on an RV roof?

How deep is the snow on the ground to help pad your fall? KEN
    If I fall far enough out the snow banks are between 4-8'. But if I fall in close concrete.

I was knee deep on their roof so I did use a metal edged snow shovel to take the top 20" off, then it was my stiff bristled broom on an extendable sherlock paint pole. No sharp or metal edges all plastic.

Taking care not to cut or tear the rubber roof is a huge deal. Ditto tearing my slide toppers. On their fiberglass roof it was not as big a concern but it isn't my stuff so I took extra care not to harm their roof either. They did have rubber roof material on their slides, no toppers.

I switched to the Sherlock Extendable poles after I broke two regular broom handles, one wood, one metal. By extending the pole out I am able to keep my center of gravity lower which keeps me from sliding as fast. Plus I can reach the slide outs without getting too close to the edge.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750