User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, someone posted to swap the front tires side to side. I personally would NEVER EVER take a tire that has been in service for any length of time and move the position of the tire to rotate in in the opposite direction. IME tread separation can/will occur. I personally think this issue was one of the reasons manufactures have designed directional tires. Truck tires like on our TV's, are the ones I have seen this, separation, more then one time....AFTER rotation. Side to side....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Hello, someone posted to swap the front tires side to side. I personally would NEVER EVER take a tire that has been in service for any length of time and move the position of the tire to rotate in in the opposite direction. IME tread separation can/will occur. I personally think this issue was one of the reasons manufactures have designed directional tires. Truck tires like on our TV's, are the ones I have seen this, separation, more then one time....AFTER rotation. Side to side....
    Most tire and vehicle manufacturers recommend cross rotation patterns for the vast majority of tires. The exceptions are for some high performance, unidirectional and studded snow tires. Here's a reference page from tirerack.com.

Rotation

When I was much younger I worked in a Goodyear tire store when radial tires were first becoming popular. Back then, the directions were to keep the tires travelling in the same direction for the reasons you mentioned. However over the years, the tire manufacturers changed their approach.

If there is any doubt, an owner can go to the website for the tire manufacturer and get specific instructions. For example, I have Michelin LTX radials on my Ford F350. Here is what Michelin says:

Michelin Rotation Information

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I have rotated my tires for 40 years. I will switch them side to side front to back. How ever I decided to rotate them. Heavy duty pick up tires do NOT come apart from being switched side to side from what I have seen. Never have lost one tire this way. I have 08 Roush Mustang sitting in my garage with Roush racing suspension & tire package. It has Cooper directional tires on it. They can only be rotated front to back. So in some cases you can only rotate front to back same side. My wife had a 03 Lincoln Aviator it had a spare that had the same tire & rim as was on the vehicle. On it you did a 5 tire rotation. The spare would move to the right rear, the right rear would go to the right front. The left rear would go to the left front. The left front would become the spare. So those tires were constantly switched side to side. As was recommend by Lincoln Motor Co. One thing about having a 5th tire you sure can get a lot out of miles on them. lol
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    The left front is 00 that's camber 3.3 caster and 0.05 toe. The right front 00 camber 3.2- caster & 0.6 is toe.
    The cross camber 00 cross caster 0.1 total toe 0.11
    Left rear minus 0.3 camber 0.12 toe. Right rear: camber 0.0 - toe minus 0.28- Rear: Total toeminus 0.16. Thrust angle 0.20.
    There's the # of my alignment check.
    Interested to hear what you think of my alignment.
    Thanks,
    Russ
    I think the right front .6 toe may be the problem, quite a difference from side to side.(no expert here just looking at numbers)

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guilty as charged. First off , I am a master tech and shop owner with 45 years hands on experience. Maintaining direction of rotation is very old school from failure of early radial tires. Like everything else , tire technology has changed , and with it standard practices for rotation. Most common pattern recommended by tire and vehicle manufacturers is rear straight forward and front crossed to rear. We've been doing this for many years and have never seen a slipped belt due to rotation. Obviously directional tires cannot be rotated using this pattern.
    YRMV.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The left front is 00 that's camber 3.3 caster and 0.05 toe. The right front 00 camber 3.2- caster & 0.6 is toe.
    The cross camber 00 cross caster 0.1 total toe 0.11
    Left rear minus 0.3 camber 0.12 toe. Right rear: camber 0.0 - toe minus 0.28- Rear: Total toeminus 0.16. Thrust angle 0.20.
    There's the # of my alignment chec
    Interested to hear what you think of my alignment.
    Thanks,
    Russ
    Vehicle will pull to the side with the more negative caster. When I was much younger and doing alignments , the norm was to give the right a touch more positive caster to compensate for road crown. Yours is 0.1* less than left. Not much , but a possibility if your pull is really minor.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I have rotated my tires for 40 years. I will switch them side to side front to back. How ever I decided to rotate them. Heavy duty pick up tires do NOT come apart from being switched side to side from what I have seen. Never have lost one tire this way. I have 08 Roush Mustang sitting in my garage with Roush racing suspension & tire package. It has Cooper directional tires on it. They can only be rotated front to back. So in some cases you can only rotate front to back same side. My wife had a 03 Lincoln Aviator it had a spare that had the same tire & rim as was on the vehicle. On it you did a 5 tire rotation. The spare would move to the right rear, the right rear would go to the right front. The left rear would go to the left front. The left front would become the spare. So those tires were constantly switched side to side. As was recommend by Lincoln Motor Co. One thing about having a 5th tire you sure can get a lot out of miles on them. lol
    Yea Im wrong, I have never seen a set of Michelins come apart right after a tire rotation side to side, or a set of General tires....They Can and will.....

Inside duals to front, outside duals to inside, front to outside duals Never side to side. Per very smart guys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XX3QPGIWhg
    Note the "not switching sides" comment
    Lots of bad information out there.....IMO. Side to side is a no no. UNLESS you dismount them and keep the orientation correct. On a BIG HD truck One ton dully or larger, no experience with light duty trucks.
    Last edited by phonemannn; 03-07-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before this post gets to far off track , could we please stick to the original topic.
    Also as each one of us has there own opinion we should respect that and not take offense.

Thanks

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Im wrong, I have never seen a set of Michelins come apart right after a tire rotation side to side, or a set of General tires....They Can and will.....

Inside duals to front, outside duals to inside, front to outside duals Never side to side. Per very smart guys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XX3QPGIWhg
    Note the "not switching sides" comment
    Bad news. If you move outside duals to inside you have to flip them. If you don't move them side to side you change direction of rotation. Same with moving fronts straight back.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Before this post gets to far off track , could we please stick to the original topic.
    Also as each one of us has there own opinion we should respect that and not take offense.

Thanks

Brian
    Sorry. I'm done
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast