User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-250 4x4 slight right hand pull?

I purchased a new f-250 4x4 back in 2012, with a gas engine. The truck came with Mitchelin AT3 all terrain tires. When the tires were new I didn't notice any pull to the right. Rotated the tires every 5000 miles and as they wore down I noticed the more slight pull to the right. Replaced tires last fall, they had 43000 miles on them. Forest Service roads tend to tear up the tread on the tires more. I replaced the tires with Cooper heavy duty all terrain tires. But the slight pull to the right is exactly the same as when I had the old worn out tires replaced. Took the truck in, checked the alignment & every thing is dead center and no adjustment needed. That being said what else could be making the truck pull slight right? Could the steering box need adjusted? Any other ideas out there? I might try replacing the steering stabilizer? Makes me wonder if that's what is pulling it to the right. Just was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I have had a dozen f-250 fords since the early 80's. And they all drove straight as a arrow when the tires were good & the alignment was on. The truck only has 45000 miles on it. Waiting for the new 2020 ford truck to come out with the new big block. But would still like to get this thing driving straight. Thanks

Russ
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good morning Russ. It might be your lower control arm bushings are failing. A way to test for this is to take the truck to a parking lot where you have some room to maneuver. Drive about 10 miles per hour and apply the brakes with your hands off of the steering wheel. If the wheel tries to turn to the right, your lower bushings would be suspect.

If that doesn't show a problem, I'd rotate the new tires across the truck. RF to LF, and LF to RF. If the pull then goes to the left, then the new tires are suspect.

Also, I notice that sometimes my Ford will pull sightly to the right due to the crown of the road. If the problem always seems to happen on the same stretch of road, it might be the roadway itself.

I would not think your steering damper would cause the problem, but at 40K+ miles, it's probably time to change it anyway. Those OEM dampers are junk. I just installed a Bilstein damper in mine, and I noticed a significant difference in reduced steering wheel vibration. Here's a link to the one I used. If your Ford steering components are the same as mine, you'll need an 18mm deep socket to get the old one off and a 19mm deep socket to install the new one.

Steering Damper

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to rotate the tires in a 1000 miles,when the rotation is due. I do not believe this will make a difference. Because the old tires were rotated side to side back to back. And yet the truck has the same right pull. Also I have noticed when I pull the RV it raises the truck a little in the front of course. and then the pull to the right is even more pronounced. As far as center crown to the road, it has nothing to do with the pull of the truck. It will pull right even if the truck going down the road & the road is curved to the left. I have hit the brake coming up to a stop light with my hand off the wheel and it does not make the pull any worse. Makes me wonder if the right side disc brake could be dragging a little. That in turn could pull the truck to slight right. Just a thought. I guess I could check the thickness of the pads from left to right and see if the right side is worn down any more than the left. I have seen that happen a few times on disc brakes. Once again thanks,

Russ
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, if you rotate the rear to the front, you have a good chance to lose the slight pull. I have sure seen it more then once..
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the steering stabilizer is gas charged, it could be causing the issue. An easy way to check is to disconnect the stabilizer and cautiously drive the truck. If the pull remains, you have eliminated the stabilizer. I agree with Jim in that OEM stabilizers are junk.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    If the steering stabilizer is gas charged, it could be causing the issue. An easy way to check is to disconnect the stabilizer and cautiously drive the truck. If the pull remains, you have eliminated the stabilizer. I agree with Jim in that OEM stabilizers are junk.

John
    Yea, that's going to be my next step as soon as the rains stop & things dry up a little bit around here. I'll pull it off & go for a drive & get a answer real quick.
    Will also switch front tires from side to side. But don't believe that this is where the problem is as it didn't matter which of the Mitchelins I switched on to the front the truck drove exactly the same way.
    I also have a 2000 f-250 I beat to death on const sites & hunting trips for years. Has over 100,000 miles and is my beat around snow plow truck that being said, this old truck drives down the road straight as a arrow. Also I don't run a steering stabilizer on this truck because they run underneath the axle & would get ripped off every time I went off road hunting.
    Russ
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of doing a 4 tire rotation just swap the front side to side. If stays the same you'll know it's not the tire. While its up press the brake pedal and on release immediately turn the tire to feel for caliper drag. Check for looseness in the wheel bearings.
    Sometimes a brake flex hose can be restricted and hold residual pressure on a brake. If so usually will pull slightly to the good hose side on light brake application.
    Fords have a tendency for caliper slide pins seizing in the bracket - front and rear - 2 per caliper. Loosen the bolt a few turns and make sure the pin sides freely in the bracket.
    Not saying your truck has any of these issues , just possible things to look at.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it's your tires. Sounds more like a dragging caliper or a wheel bearing going out. Have you checked to make sure that hub is unlocked as well???
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the caster numbers from your alignment? They can be in spec and still cause a pull. If the right hand side caster is much lower then the left it will have a tendency to pull right. This would be exaggerated when you take weight off of the nose of the truck.
    2019 31MB
    2004 Dodge 2500 5.9
    2015 Jeep 4 door
    1998 Mustang 5.3l turbo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedly View Post
    What are the caster numbers from your alignment? They can be in spec and still cause a pull. If the right hand side caster is much lower then the left it will have a tendency to pull right. This would be exaggerated when you take weight off of the nose of the truck.
    The left front is 00 that's camber 3.3 caster and 0.05 toe. The right front 00 camber 3.2- caster & 0.6 is toe.
    The cross camber 00 cross caster 0.1 total toe 0.11
    Left rear minus 0.3 camber 0.12 toe. Right rear: camber 0.0 - toe minus 0.28- Rear: Total toeminus 0.16. Thrust angle 0.20.
    There's the # of my alignment check.
    Interested to hear what you think of my alignment.
    Thanks,
    Russ
    Russ & Deb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast