User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grease on wheels

So I know I’ve seen this somewhere but can’t find it. After last trip I noticed on two wheels, one on each side have what looks like grease leaking from the inside and running out. Very small amount but enough that I noticed on my walk around. I contacted Grand Design and they told me to contact Lippert. I sent them an email today. I can’t get the trailer in for service till spring and the snow is melted but trying to be sure I get the parts and ready to go.
    Can anyone shed any light in this??
    Thanks in advance
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    So I know I’ve seen this somewhere but can’t find it. After last trip I noticed on two wheels, one on each side have what looks like grease leaking from the inside and running out. Very small amount but enough that I noticed on my walk around. I contacted Grand Design and they told me to contact Lippert. I sent them an email today. I can’t get the trailer in for service till spring and the snow is melted but trying to be sure I get the parts and ready to go.
    Thanks in advance
    Don
    Don,
    I entered "greased axles" in the search box (near the top right of this page) and after clicking the magnifying glass icon there were more threads on this topic than I cared to count! Here's one in particular that caught my attention: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...208#post192208

Hope this helps...

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance
    Don
    Don,

There have been hours and hours of discussion on this forum about LCI greased brakes. Per the link provided by Howard and many other discussions. By the time you see grease coming out between the backing plate and the drum, there will (for sure) be grease on the brake shoes. Something to consider in your discussion with LCI is that their service manual expectation is that wheel bearings should be cleaned and re-packed with grease at least once per year. This would require removing the drums which would allow inspection of the brakes for grease. This would also include replacing the grease seals between the hubs and the brakes. What were the observations on your last bearing service?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for the quick response. My last bearing service was November 2017 and I was told everything looked dry and good. This trailer is only towed maybe once or twice per year. Spends summers on a seasonal site in Maine. We do a Myrtle Beach trip in the fall and itÂ’s parked for the winter. So aside from coming from the factory IÂ’ve only had it on two trips. DidnÂ’t get the bearing service done when got home from this last trip due to incoming snow storm and had to get it parked. I will have the bearings done in the spring.
    Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
    Thanks again
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last bearing service was November 2017
    Hi Don,

If you have grease dripping out of the brakes and this is not the OE assembly condition, your issue is with whoever did the bearing service . . . not with LCI. A properly done bearing repack with new seals, will not allow grease to get to the brakes.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After flipping through the many complaints sounds to me this should be a recall issue!!!
    GD basically told me I was well out of warranty and nothing they could do.
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, sorry.. I should have said bearing inspection not service. When I went to have the first bearing service done I was told there were no issues and with so few miles nothing needed to be done so these are still the OEM assemblies. Again only been on two trips plus from factory. I planned on doing a full service on the bearings this spring.
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, sorry.. I should have said bearing inspection not service. When I went to have the first bearing service done I was told there were no issues and with so few miles nothing needed to be done so these are still the OEM assemblies. Again only been on two trips plus from factory. I planned on doing a full service on the bearings this spring.
    Hi Don,

There is no way to do a "bearing inspection" without pulling the hubs/drums. If this is done, the rear hub seals should be replaced. The "short version" of a long story is that the OE assembly greasing put too much thin grease into the hubs and this pushed past the rear seals and on to the brakes. Once you get the hubs pulled by a qualified shop, you will know what needs to be done. You will probably need new backing plate & brake assemblies. Nothing lost in going after LCI for these, but they are only about $50 each.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly I am not a mechanical person 🤪
    I really appreciate all the info this has been very helpful. Once I can get the trailer out I will get these all done and replaced. If LCI covers it great if not I don’t skimp on safety or service so what ever it needs will get done. I have a guy who is great for service, unfortunately my so called inspection was done while traveling at a place I will not name but very well known to all.
    Have to get it ready for the Indiana owners rally in August.
    Thanks again
    Don
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly I am not a mechanical person 🤪
    I really appreciate all the info this has been very helpful. Once I can get the trailer out I will get these all done and replaced. If LCI covers it great if not I don’t skimp on safety or service so what ever it needs will get done. I have a guy who is great for service, unfortunately my so called inspection was done while traveling at a place I will not name but very well known to all.
    Have to get it ready for the Indiana owners rally in August.
    Thanks again
    Don
    Hi Don,

If you are faced with a complete brake rebuild, give serious consideration to an upgrade to disc brakes. The braking performance improvement is simply amazing. The cost will likely be less than $1500 over what a complete drum brake rebuild would cost.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast