User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar or Propane for Hot Water & Refrig?

I'm not that familar with solar in RV's but do people use it when propane can be used,ie. refer and hot water. (Edited original post so content reflects question for this thread.) -Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Ed & Denise
    2018 303rls
    2016 dodge 2500
    cummins diesel

l

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    ...do people use (electricity stored from solar) when propane can be used,ie. refer and hot water.
    Interesting question and worth a separate discussion (your post was originally in another thread). I didn't want the other thread to wonder off the OP's topic.

@DMB or the many other forum members with solar setups will probably chime in.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm not that familar with solar in RV's but do people use it when propane can be used,ie. refer and hot water. (Edited original post so content reflects question for this thread.) -Howard
    I use my propane when dry camping for the hot water and fridge. The batteries are used for lighting, television, etc.. Usage will depend a lot on your battery storage capacity and replenishment capability.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is simple and complicated, The simple answer is; it depends on how much solar you have and whether the sun is shining, or not.

The complicated answer is; it depends on how much solar you have and how big your battery bank and inverter are. Both your refrigerator and water heater are very hungry electrical appliances, so, unless you have a very robust Solar array, a large battery bank, and a high powered Inverter you should keep using Propane for your Hot Water and Cold Beer.

That being said, I wouldn't try running either appliance without at least 1,200 Watts of Solar, 300ah of Lithium Batteries (600ah of Lead Acid) and a 3,000 Watt Inverter. This is a Robust system, it could be bigger, but this would be the minimum I would try running those appliances on.

Additionally, if you were to run your fridge and/or water heater from Solar, you would only want to run them during daylight on bright, Sunny days, because you will need your battery storage to run the rest of your coach overnight.

If you do have a robust Solar system, then dumping your excess Solar Energy into your Hot Water tank and/or Fridge is a good way to store the excess energy generated by the Solar Array on bright, Sunny days.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK