User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The furnace didn’t work, but now it does after being disassembled and reassembled

On a very cold night, in snowy southern Arizona, our furnace stopped working. The fan kept running, blowing cold air because the furnace would briefly ignite, but fail to keep burning after a few seconds. This repeated over and over again until my low battery alarm was triggered at 4:00 am.

We bought the Reflection three years ago at Christmas time, but didn’t start using it until the following summer of 2016. We only used it during summers, so we didn’t usually need the furnace. One time in 2017, when we did want to use it, we were over 9,000 ft elevation and a similar thing happened where it would not ignite (see thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...levation/page6 ). It worked when I tried it at home (elevation 800 feet). So I thought it was because of the elevation, Atwood agreed and gave me the high altitude kit. I didn’t install it; I’m keeping it for the next time we are in the Rockies.

On our way to Arizona, after Christmas, and our first couple nights in Tucson, we ran the furnace each night. I thought the way it started was odd, it would ignite, then go out a few times before it finally caught and ran. Then on our first night boondocking, it ran during the evening, but sometime in the night it wouldn’t start again.

I took the camper into an RV repair place in Tucson. He though the problem was the sail switch. He called every place he could in Tucson and nobody had that switch. He had it sent overnight delivery and installed it the next day. That didn’t fix the problem. Next he checked the limit switch, and it was fine. He said the last component it could be is the motherboard. He put in a new one, same problem. He put all the original parts back in, took the furnace out and tried it on his work bench – same problem.

He took the whole furnace apart and didn’t see anything wrong. He cleaned everything up, put it back together and it worked. He said “I wish I could take credit for fixing it, but I don’t know what I did that made it start working.” The next morning they reinstalled it, and it has worked fine ever since. We used it daily through February.

They spent hours working on the furnace; it took quite a bit of time to take it out, and an hour or so to reinstall it. The total cost was around $500. I’m happy it is working, but it is a little disconcerting to spend that much and not know what caused the problem.

Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to love the Gremlins, they make life so interesting. We are in a similar situation but I am headed to warmer weather before I start going further than we have. One of the things that I noticed while the tech was working on our furnace was that the connectors are not particularly robust. A single loose connection in the system will halt the whole process. Glad you got yours going, I am struggling this week with mine.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    You have to love the Gremlins, they make life so interesting. We are in a similar situation but I am headed to warmer weather before I start going further than we have. One of the things that I noticed while the tech was working on our furnace was that the connectors are not particularly robust. A single loose connection in the system will halt the whole process. Glad you got yours going, I am struggling this week with mine.
    You got that right. That's what was wrong with ours. My husband went in and wiggled/tried all the connections and found a loose one. It's worked fine ever since.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)