User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I printed the image Jim posted and taped it to the back of my volt meter so I don't have to go looking for it.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for showing folks that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to take advantage of renewable energy instead of using a generator.

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And I've posted this before, but if any of you have lithium (LiFePo) batteries, there is a different state of charge chart:

Jim

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my best Scotti voice "Dammit Jim I don't think we can take her to warp factor 7"

Thanks,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 Watt Solar isn't nearly enough to support two batteries. Good that you will offset with the generator.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    100 Watt Solar isn't nearly enough to support two batteries. Good that you will offset with the generator.
    Yup, my goal is for the panels and batteries is to simply reduce how much I use the generator.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

260RD dual battery install and solar "upgrade"

Time for Mr. Overkill to chime in... you can’t have too much solar.

: )

The difference between 1155 watts and 100 watts is that I can charge X number of batteries MUCH faster, regardless of whether its 2 lead acid batteries or 4 lithiums.
    I’m not saying you should cover your entire roof with panels, like I did, just recommending more than the bare minimum.
    (if 15 pieces of flair is good enough for you that’s ok)
    Since Mother Nature won’t always be cooperative having more solar than you think you need is extremely beneficial.
    Prior to our install, most people recommended we install 600-800 watts worth of solar panels to support our battery bank size. So I installed 1155.
    I did this because I assumed there would be days when the weather wasn’t perfect and the panels would be working at less than full capacity.
    On a perfectly sunny Summer day our batteries are charged to 100% (from 50-60%) by 11am!
    But if it’s cloudy, the panels are putting out much less power than normal. Had we gone with 600 watts of panels this might take all day in these conditions, or we might not get fully charged at all.
    However since we have 1155 watts of panels we’re (usually) still able to get our batteries fully charged, just later in the day, even though their output is drastically reduced.
    The panels are also usually the least expensive of the major components in a solar setup, and if you’re already on the roof installing 1 then 2 or 3 wouldn’t be much more difficult.

If you install enough solar it is possible you won’t need to run the generator at all.

Please post photos when you’re done!
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-16-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that, and might eventually go that route but the primary use of my camper is to be able to utilize our mountain land until we have a cabin built. The cabin will need it's own solar array as totally off grid so we're doing this on the cheap for now. We will likely have all of the utilities (solar, septic, and well) put on the land within 2 years so I dont see much of a point in spending a bunch of money for something that wont transfer over to the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All done for now. Not super happy with the way the vents mount on the lid of the battery box so I may come back and redo those, but we'll see how it holds up.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the vents attached to the battery box, I probably should have used the hose clamps to hold the flange in place and then put the RTV around the inside lip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast