User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time RV buyer Grand Design 2400BH

Hello,

My name is Garner and this past Thursday after 2 years of researching TTs, I am proud to say I purchased my first RV this past Thursday. A Grand Design 2400BH. I work in Law Enforcement and live in the Texas Hill Country. I have always been a camper since a young age but lately I've really got the travel itch to start seeing more of this great country we live in, plus I think I'm done sleeping on the ground or at least for more than one night in a row!

For any that may be curious, I weighed my truck before picking up the unit then after I had the trailer to get a good idea on weights since I'm using an older less capable truck. Grand Design lists this TT at 5595 pounds I believe in the brochure. These trailers come pretty decked out so I'm not sure what the extra is but the UVW on my particular trailer was 5814 and when I went to scale, I was pleasantly surprised that UVW sticker was within about 20 pounds or so of the actual weight, and that included whatever residual water I could not get out of the tanks and lines from the PDI. It was also neat to see how the WD affected the various axle weights.

I couldn't be happier with this trailer. Now the hunt begins for a newer truck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2171e.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	18200

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welome, I am sure you will really enjoy your trailer and happy camping!
    We started with a old 24ft stick and tin in 2006, then purchased our first new trailer in 2013 with an Ecplise 23SCG thinking this would be our last trailer. That was until we unexpectedly took in a family members children on top of the 3 we had, so we now have 1 biological and 4 adopted children for a total of 5 children. So here we are, just purchased a new 2018 Momentum 388M to keep our sanity with seven people and two 100 lb dogs. We like primarily dry camping in the forest but try to take the children every summer for a 2-4 week adventure showing them different parts of the country. Thanks to my job as a Paramedic Firefighter I get to spend a lot of time camping with the children throughout the year.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garner

Congrats and welcome to the group.
    You will not miss sleeping on the ground, I sure don't. Enjoy the new camper and make many memories.
    Also thanks for your service in Law Enforcement.

Brian

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean about wanting to get off the ground. After 20 years in a tent when we got our first trailer my knees thanked me. Congratulations, i'm sure you will have many good memories with your new trailer. Hope we hear about your new adventures.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9c1fanatic View Post
    My name is Garner and...I work in Law Enforcement ... Now the hunt begins for a newer truck!
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for being a member of the thin blue line--your service is appreciated!

Shopping for a new truck--now that's fun work. Watch out for those brochure-listed payloads figures. (They may be true, but they don't reflect real-world numbers.) You may find this thread in the Reference Library useful: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ad-Information

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the kind words of appreciation. As for the truck search, I think I have been researching that almost as long as what RV to get!! I think I am settled on a Chevrolet Silverado with the NHT max towing package. I know this is somewhat of a rare combination but they have considerable more payload than my current truck while still being a half ton. More importantly, the overwhelming positive feed back I get from owners of such an equipped truck towing similar or even larger TTs than mine have convinced me of that path.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9c1fanatic View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words of appreciation. As for the truck search, I think I have been researching that almost as long as what RV to get!! I think I am settled on a Chevrolet Silverado with the NHT max towing package. I know this is somewhat of a rare combination but they have considerable more payload than my current truck while still being a half ton. More importantly, the overwhelming positive feed back I get from owners of such an equipped truck towing similar or even larger TTs than mine have convinced me of that path.
    Garner,
    Please take a few minutes and look over the links and material in this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability

If there's nothing new in to you in that thread--great! If there's anything that you don't completely understand ask for input here on the forum before buying any truck. Too many of us have learned the hard (and expensive) way by buying a truck more than once.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the very informative links. I can't believe how embarrassing the payload is on that Ram! My almost 30 year old truck blows that out of the water! I will be sticker shopping for sure when it comes time to make the purchase.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and happy truck hunting. Great advice on the forum!
    We just purchased our new truck for our new 303RLS. We went with the GMC 2500 duramax. Love it. Happy camping