User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Funny you mention this Rob. During some of our unusual rainy days here this winter, I started watching "driving fail" videos on YouTube. Ordered a dash cam shortly after that! I think it's an especially good idea for anybody towing an RV.
    Yea I think I'll get a dashcam too, in case one of these silly people over their GVWR hits me I can sue them.

: )
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    No . . . this is "overloaded". Gotta love the 4x4 whittled to fit between the tailgate and the hitch. Also, the S links on the tailgate chains are a nice touch .

Rob
    Easy to change the front tires! You can overload anything if you try!!! That is more then a little!!!!
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GM has on their web page the risk of exceeding the GVWR and would be used in a lot of accident investigation

“You may not give much thought about those figures while making short trips or carrying a couple of small items, but when it comes time to load your GMC with lots of passengers or cargo, it’s important to keep your GMC’s GVWR in mind. Failure to do so may result in you exceeding the GVWR and overloading your vehicle.
    Overloading your truck or SUV can carry severe consequences, including:
    * Broken springs and suspension components due to excess weight
    * Brakes unable to stop the truck or SUV in a timely manner
    * Transmission and other driveline components may overheat and sustain serious damage
    * Unusual suspension behavior, making the vehicle hard to control
    * Tire temperatures rising to elevated levels, potentially leading to a blowout”

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...-weight-rating

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    As I have asked for many times, and since you have been so involved the insurance/legal side of things....could you possibly provide even one incidence where exceeding the GVWR...not GAWR or GCWR, has resulted in any kind of legal or civil action that resulted just from being a few hundred pounds over the yellow tire sticker in the door jamb? I would certainly sing a different tune if there were some kind of actual evidence that the GVWR is somehow the most important or even significant in the event of an accident.

I have spent much of my working life fixing and upgrading so much of the engineering in the transportation industry put out as acceptable that when I hear the "engineers" say you can or can't do something, it just doesn't mean the same to me that it does to some here. Maybe they could give us a reason, or a result even, of why they say it. Most don't really understand that engineers only start the process...the bean counters, legal and marketing guys are the final say in what goes on the stickers and advertisements. The final product may not reflect what the engineers really envisioned.

Has anyone here been around long enough to remember the P30 chassis class A RV's? For two years, we had to re-engineer the fuel supply systems on Monacos, Country Coaches and other heavy motorhomes, just to get the RV out of the valley. Vapor lock, warped manifolds, rear main bearing knock...Two years later, the chassis was supplied by GM exactly as we had had to equip them, on our, the dealership's dime. We also had to do the same with the Ford chassis C's. They would shoot a flame out the tailpipe that ruined the paint on vehicles that happened to be on the curb side. We had to do it just to keep our customers in their coaches. Was the same with pickups before decent light truck diesels with some of the first very large 5vers. So much for engineering.

You guys post links where they just say "don't do it", nothing else, no explanation at all, what components might fail, weak links or anything and then, no evidence of bad things resulting from exceeding the tire sticker, which only came into being after the RV business was on it's way down to nothing in the late 2000's.

If you are so nervous about litigation, why do you leave home at all? You could be sitting in your house and someone trip and fall into your driveway and some lawyer could come up with a way to sue you. The majority of accidents result from operator error and exceeding the yellow sticker is so far down the list, it is insignificant. It is there simply because you should always equip the vehicle with at least an equivalent of the factory tire for replacement and make sure your tire pressure is as recommended on the sticker. Axle ratings and gross combined cover the combination...drivetrain, brakes and suspension when it comes to the capability of the tow vehicle.

If you want to spend the extra bucks for a dually, go for it, your covered on the sticker. You should do what is most comfortable for you. But you better be sure you can actually operate the vehicle correctly or you could have all the legal/insurance problems that get posted here. But the gloom and doom that is prophesied from exceeding the yellow sticker is just bs. It's been happening as long as trailers have been being towed and I have yet to see a single case where it has been the cause of ruining someone's life.

How bout we lay off the endangering the world type comments for those that are comfortable in knowing they are within the important specifications and operate their combinations competently. Just to close, there are those here that are very vocal about the yellow sticker subject and are admittedly over it, but have they parked it because they are endangering lives or worried about losing it all? Very logical...
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post

I have spent much of my working life fixing and upgrading so much of the engineering in the transportation industry put out as acceptable that when I hear the "engineers" say you can or can't do something, it just doesn't mean the same to me that it does to some here. Maybe they could give us a reason, or a result even, of why they say it. Most don't really understand that engineers only start the process...the bean counters, legal and marketing guys are the final say in what goes on the stickers and advertisements. The final product may not reflect what the engineers really envisioned.
    Your lengthy reply explaining your own experiences of rebuilding tow vehicles seem to actually support the argument of getting a correctly weighted plackered truck for the size of the RV you intend to haul. If you needed to rebuild chassis and whatnot on vehicles that were intended to tow RV's or have motorhomes installed on the chassis, and those were inadequate then what can a consumer expect, longevity, safety and component wise, from a truck that is not so designated by said manufacturer? If a 3/4 ton chassis is not up to the task, should one logically conclude that maybe a 1/2 ton will be better; or should one be looking at 1 ton rated truck. Seems pretty simple.

My take from your experiences as shared is that one should buy the beefiest, stoutest truck that is engineered, configured and supported by manufacturer documentation to pull and/or carry the weight the consumer intends to use that truck for.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the seventies, I was traveling across the country with my kids in the back of station wagon playing with toys and was pulled over by State Patrol for speeding. He gave my kids a plastic badge and sent us on our way. What do you think would happen today?

When I talk to two separate lawyers from two separate law firms and they were both aware of baby boomers and their overweight RVs. The second lawyer was just a customer of mine that knew I was an RVer. Both of the lawyers used the 3/4 ton pulling a 5er that was close or over his payload/GVWR as an example. Just like traveling with kids in the back station wagon I think times are changing.

We almost hit someone in the rear about a month ago. Coming up to a stop light they cut in front of us cause us at the last moment and caused us to slam on the brakes and the near miss. Now we sport a new dashcam. Just some additional insurance.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-13-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    In the seventies, I was traveling across the country with my kids in the back of station wagon playing with toys and was pulled over by State Patrol for speeding. He gave my kids a plastic badge and sent us on our way. What do you think would happen today?

When I talk to two separate lawyers from two separate law firms and they were both aware of baby boomers and their overweight RVs. The second lawyer was just a customer of mine that knew I was an RVer. Both of the lawyers used the 3/4 ton pulling a 5er that was close or over his payload/GVWR as an example. Just like traveling with kids in the back station wagon I think times are changing.

We almost hit someone in the rear about a month ago. Coming up to a stop light they cut in front of us cause us at the last moment and caused us to slam on the brakes and the near miss. Now we sport a new dashcam. Just some additional insurance.
    My apologies to the OP at the outset for continuing the thread off topic (maybe we should start a new thread) but Dennis your dash cam install raises a question.

My understanding is that rear end collisions seem to "always" be the responsibility of the party who rear ended the party in front of them regardless of the circumstances. How would a dash cam video affect this ?

Also, what are the known or possible unintended consequences of using a dash cam video ? Do they also have audio ?

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 03-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Your lengthy reply explaining your own experiences of rebuilding tow vehicles seem to actually support the argument of getting a correctly weighted plackered truck for the size of the RV you intend to haul. If you needed to rebuild chassis and whatnot on vehicles that were intended to tow RV's or have motorhomes installed on the chassis, and those were inadequate then what can a consumer expect, longevity, safety and component wise, from a truck that is not so designated by said manufacturer? If a 3/4 ton chassis is not up to the task, should one logically conclude that maybe a 1/2 ton will be better; or should one be looking at 1 ton rated truck. Seems pretty simple.

My take from your experiences as shared is that one should buy the beefiest, stoutest truck that is engineered, configured and supported by manufacturer documentation to pull and/or carry the weight the consumer intends to use that truck for.
    Even though you missed my point entirely, you certainly echo the sentiment of many here. You do what you are comfortable with, but please knock off the deragatory comments about those of us that disagree and do what we are comfortable with.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please show me where I have posted anything derogatory about you.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed, Discussion has taken a wrong turn.

Brian , moderator

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789