User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    I’ll have to check that out. Like you say, steel wool is fine as long as it doesn’t get wet.
    We pick up our trailer April 15 from an indoor storage area. I can let you know about effectiveness of the copper and the viability of re-use. In the meantime, I can report that oils (balsam/peppermint) have been truly effective over the winter in keeping mice out of our home. Placed at every floor opening for baseboard heat and the stove’s gas supply, and refreshed once in January, we’ve seen no evidence of activity. We also put spider traps at these locations and we’ve had no cobwebs this year, at all!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    ...spider traps...
    Can you be more specific? What product did you use?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all...

I am on my 4th RV while living on this property, with the latest being our 2018 303RLS. We have had mice and or chipmunks every winter in all the RVs except the 303! When we brought the 303 home I instantly went in to panic mode, thinking "those little SOBs are going to come after our new baby!!" I am happy to report, with a sprinkle of caution, that upon careful, thorough inspection there is *zero* sign of my arch enemies! I have employed (waged war) many strategies and methods, some of which I read on this, and other forums. I can't say which method did the trick, on the contrary, I think my apparent success is due to a combination of all these things, carefully implemented. I will share them all here in this post in hopes that it will save my fellow Grand Design owners from a RV full rodent poops and half eaten acorns in every drawer.... It was a bit of work, but well worth it. Probably spent less than $300 all together. Cheers, Neil

1) Location

I moved my storage location from the edge of the woods, to a spot more out in the open in my yard. I think this helped.

2) Cleanliness

We cleaned and cleaned some more. No food crumbs. Vacuumed everything. Cleaned fridge thoroughly. etc, etc....

3) Filled any opening where they could get in. Steel wool, foam insulation

I used an expanding spray foam insulation with a critter additive and filled any nook and cranny outside, slide mechanism, belly cover area, spare tire was lowered and plugged all the gaping slits in the belly membrane where the cable goes through. I used steel wool on the inside plugging where pipes and drains come up through and alond the bottom of the pantry.

4) Mouse Free

Great product. Followed mfg instructions. Went on nicely. Pricey, but worth it. I believe this was a great component to success.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro...n%2C148&sr=8-5

5) Refrigerator vents, furnace intake / exhaust

Part of plugging the hole strategy...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6) No RV Cover

I had visions of them shimmying up between the cover and the side, then getting into the AC unit, so I opted not to cover.

7) Sonic Deterrents

One in every room

8) Pepperment extract on cotton balls

In drawers, cuboards and slide corners

9) Fresh Cab

In drawers, cuboards and slide corners

10) Storage of loose items.

Stored bedding, dishes, and loose stuff in plastic tubs.
    Wow - victory well earned indeed ! Very thorough and well done.

We had an independent dealer approved by GDRV complete some warranty work for us in 2014. They were in a location more rural where prairie grasses/weeds were more prevalent.

They always used the #8 method to place a few peppermint cotton balls on plastic lids in several locations of RVs left before and after service work. Had worked w/o fail for them for many years and did so in our 303 too. I liked the new smell of the RV more than peppermint but the smell dissipated after several days.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For years we have used dryer sheets scattered throughout our trailers just prior to locking up for storage and have never had a mouse problem. We put the dryer sheets by any opening (doors, all along the slideouts, etc.) and have good luck so far.

After our brutally cold February, I can't wait to get back to our lake lot.
    Al and BJ

2014 Reflection 323BHS
    573FR3820E3300501
    2020 F350 Super Duty 6.7 PowerStroke SRW
    2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Can you be more specific? What product did you use?
    Howard,
    Rescue! brand, non toxic spider traps in a 3 pack:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE2D0E1D-08EE-4B68-938C-2D37099EAF6E.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	18350

Bought them at Walmart, but Amazon has them-Walmart was cheaper.
    There are oodles of sticky traps for spiders, but chose these for the low profile to fit right next to the copper pipe coming from basement. 7”x2”x1” and aren’t seen when shoved under the baseboard units.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Wow - victory well earned indeed ! Very thorough and well done.

We had an independent dealer approved by GDRV complete some warranty work for us in 2014. They were in a location more rural where prairie grasses/weeds were more prevalent.

They always used the #8 method to place a few peppermint cotton balls on plastic lids in several locations of RVs left before and after service work. Had worked w/o fail for them for many years and did so in our 303 too. I liked the new smell of the RV more than peppermint but the smell dissipated after several days.

Dan
    Thanks Dan! Yes I agree that the cotton balls with peppermint had a lot to do with our success. I also have to give GD a lot of credit for building such a tight RV. Out of all the campers we’ve owned, the Grand Design is by far the best built. If the rotten critters can’t get, we’re way ahead of the game! Cheers...
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertasaurus View Post
    For years we have used dryer sheets scattered throughout our trailers just prior to locking up for storage and have never had a mouse problem. We put the dryer sheets by any opening (doors, all along the slideouts, etc.) and have good luck so far.

After our brutally cold February, I can't wait to get back to our lake lot.
    I’ve tried dryer sheets but still got critters. What brand do you use? I’ve heard that matters.

Enjoy your lake lot! Thanks, Neil
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Howard,
    Rescue! brand, non toxic spider traps in a 3 pack:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE2D0E1D-08EE-4B68-938C-2D37099EAF6E.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	18350

Bought them at Walmart, but Amazon has them-Walmart was cheaper.
    There are oodles of sticky traps for spiders, but chose these for the low profile to fit right next to the copper pipe coming from basement. 7”x2”x1” and aren’t seen when shoved under the baseboard units.
    N
    I like it!
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve tried dryer sheets but still got critters. What brand do you use? I’ve heard that matters.

Enjoy your lake lot! Thanks, Neil
    We use Bounce brand. Not sure what scent, or if it matters.
    Al and BJ

2014 Reflection 323BHS
    573FR3820E3300501
    2020 F350 Super Duty 6.7 PowerStroke SRW
    2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t want to ruin the party but around here we tend to have mice problems in the early part of spring vs dead of the winter. Last year was a perfect example, out of six families four of us (myself included) had critters even though all winter all the campers had no visible signs of activity. I’ve been in my current trailer a few times a week for the last month as we get ready to trade it in for our new 290BH & have not seen anything but last year was exactly like this, once April came I found droppings everywhere. It took two weeks & many traps to get rid of them. We use peppermint oil, steel wool & spray foam to seal any opening underneath. Our friends had one shoot out of the AC duct over Father’s Day after camping in the unit multiple times prior from Memorial Day on last year!

I’ve spoken to a few people & most who have had this problem agree that it seems to happen in spring even though there is no activity in the dead of the winter. Seems the mice around here want to go inside to have their babies & make a mess of our campers. I refused to buy a Jayco & Keystone product since all the front storage areas on those units are wide open making them susceptible to mice intrusion. The Grand Design units I looked at are much better sealed which will HOPEFULLY prevent those nasty varmits from entering & making a mess again.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast