User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rodents not Welcome! A Possible Victory...

Hi all...

I am on my 4th RV while living on this property, with the latest being our 2018 303RLS. We have had mice and or chipmunks every winter in all the RVs except the 303! When we brought the 303 home I instantly went in to panic mode, thinking "those little SOBs are going to come after our new baby!!" I am happy to report, with a sprinkle of caution, that upon careful, thorough inspection there is *zero* sign of my arch enemies! I have employed (waged war) many strategies and methods, some of which I read on this, and other forums. I can't say which method did the trick, on the contrary, I think my apparent success is due to a combination of all these things, carefully implemented. I will share them all here in this post in hopes that it will save my fellow Grand Design owners from a RV full rodent poops and half eaten acorns in every drawer.... It was a bit of work, but well worth it. Probably spent less than $300 all together. Cheers, Neil

1) Location

I moved my storage location from the edge of the woods, to a spot more out in the open in my yard. I think this helped.

2) Cleanliness

We cleaned and cleaned some more. No food crumbs. Vacuumed everything. Cleaned fridge thoroughly. etc, etc....

3) Filled any opening where they could get in. Steel wool, foam insulation

I used an expanding spray foam insulation with a critter additive and filled any nook and cranny outside, slide mechanism, belly cover area, spare tire was lowered and plugged all the gaping slits in the belly membrane where the cable goes through. I used steel wool on the inside plugging where pipes and drains come up through and alond the bottom of the pantry.

4) Mouse Free

Great product. Followed mfg instructions. Went on nicely. Pricey, but worth it. I believe this was a great component to success.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro...n%2C148&sr=8-5

5) Refrigerator vents, furnace intake / exhaust

Part of plugging the hole strategy...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6) No RV Cover

I had visions of them shimmying up between the cover and the side, then getting into the AC unit, so I opted not to cover.

7) Sonic Deterrents

One in every room

8) Pepperment extract on cotton balls

In drawers, cuboards and slide corners

9) Fresh Cab

In drawers, cuboards and slide corners

10) Storage of loose items.

Stored bedding, dishes, and loose stuff in plastic tubs.
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips we are new to the RV world so this helps us alot most appreciated

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one solution that works and not to expensive. Buy large boxes of moth balls from Walmart with individual bags inside. I throw these underneath my camper, tractor, and anywhere that I want to keep squirrels and mice away. Seem to work for me. Also put some in Glad container and put underneath camper at camp ground to keep snakes and varmints away. Caution, can't be used inside and must be keep in sealed container when not using.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil, Excellent post, thorough laundry list. Even though we have steel wool in the house, we opted for the copper mesh, sold in varying lengths on Amazon. More costly, but can be reused. Any damp will cause rust on the steel wool (can’t stand the smell of it). The copper mesh is easily cut with household scissors.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give a lot of the credit to your use of peppermint oil - we have been using it along with moth balls for 8 or 9 years and several trailers.

...VTX-Al

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the peppermint oil on cotton pads all around the inside of our rig. It works and smells nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    I have one solution that works and not to expensive. Buy large boxes of moth balls from Walmart with individual bags inside. I throw these underneath my camper, tractor, and anywhere that I want to keep squirrels and mice away. Seem to work for me. Also put some in Glad container and put underneath camper at camp ground to keep snakes and varmints away. Caution, can't be used inside and must be keep in sealed container when not using.
    Yes I’ve heard of folks having some good results with the moth balls. I opted out of this option due to the smell and the chemicals..
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Neil, Excellent post, thorough laundry list. Even though we have steel wool in the house, we opted for the copper mesh, sold in varying lengths on Amazon. More costly, but can be reused. Any damp will cause rust on the steel wool (can’t stand the smell of it). The copper mesh is easily cut with household scissors.
    N
    I’ll have to check that out. Like you say, steel wool is fine as long as it doesn’t get wet.
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTX-AL View Post
    I would give a lot of the credit to your use of peppermint oil - we have been using it along with moth balls for 8 or 9 years and several trailers.

...VTX-Al

Quote Originally Posted by slauretani View Post
    We use the peppermint oil on cotton pads all around the inside of our rig. It works and smells nice!
    I totally agree. The active ingredient of the Mouse Free is peppermint. Also I believe that denying them access by plugging entry points is key.

Now we just need some warm weather so we can get camping!! Soon! Thanks for your thoughts..
    Neil and Sheila

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We agree. We have the itch to get out there. We just booked two weeks in May to head south. Seems so far away.
    Happy camping!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast