User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a side note to the above critter issues, we've used "Bay Leaves" to keep the ants away in our sticks & bricks with great success. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    Thanks Dan! Yes I agree that the cotton balls with peppermint had a lot to do with our success. I also have to give GD a lot of credit for building such a tight RV. Out of all the campers we’ve owned, the Grand Design is by far the best built. If the rotten critters can’t get, we’re way ahead of the game! Cheers...
    I absolutely agree with you on that, the GD units are built tighter than most & if it stops even one rotten critter it's a win!
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    I don’t want to ruin the party but around here we tend to have mice problems in the early part of spring vs dead of the winter. Last year was a perfect example, out of six families four of us (myself included) had critters even though all winter all the campers had no visible signs of activity. I’ve been in my current trailer a few times a week for the last month as we get ready to trade it in for our new 290BH & have not seen anything but last year was exactly like this, once April came I found droppings everywhere. It took two weeks & many traps to get rid of them. We use peppermint oil, steel wool & spray foam to seal any opening underneath. Our friends had one shoot out of the AC duct over Father’s Day after camping in the unit multiple times prior from Memorial Day on last year!

I’ve spoken to a few people & most who have had this problem agree that it seems to happen in spring even though there is no activity in the dead of the winter. Seems the mice around here want to go inside to have their babies & make a mess of our campers. I refused to buy a Jayco & Keystone product since all the front storage areas on those units are wide open making them susceptible to mice intrusion. The Grand Design units I looked at are much better sealed which will HOPEFULLY prevent those nasty varmits from entering & making a mess again.
    I agree with everything you said, hence the title “Possible Victory”. We are not completely out of the woods yet. I am cautiously optimistic though and keeping a close eye on things. The critters tend to infiltrate in both fall and spring On a brighter note, later today we’re going to make reservations for Memorial Day weekend camping. Yaaaaa!
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything you said, hence the title “Possible Victory”. We are not completely out of the woods yet. I am cautiously optimistic though and keeping a close eye on things. The critters tend to infiltrate in both fall and spring On a brighter note, later today we’re going to make reservations for Memorial Day weekend camping. Yaaaaa!
    I agree & didn't want to be the wet blanket at the party, I thought I won last year only to be beaten in the end by those rotten little.....you know what's!

Spring is coming for us northerners, camping reservation's are the first sign, congrats!
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    We pick up our trailer April 15 from an indoor storage area. I can let you know about effectiveness of the copper and the viability of re-use. In the meantime, I can report that oils (balsam/peppermint) have been truly effective over the winter in keeping mice out of our home. Placed at every floor opening for baseboard heat and the stove’s gas supply, and refreshed once in January, we’ve seen no evidence of activity. We also put spider traps at these locations and we’ve had no cobwebs this year, at all!
    N
    Positive update! Picked up the trailer yesterday. Lots of evidence that mice were in the surrounding area, but no droppings found in the trailer. Have to conclude that the essential oil (balsam or peppermint) works to deter entry. The copper mesh is intact and is reusable. In fact, given the point made above re: timing of intrusion, early spring activity, we’re just leaving it in place. There’s certainly room in the hose entry port for the mesh to share the space with the hose. I’m anxious to purchase and install some of the mesh vent covers mentioned in another thread.
    We sprayed the essential oil on all the stabilizers, in openings under the slide, and around vent openings. Tossed oiled cotton balls in and behind all drawers and closets.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did all except number 4 and 7. No mice.
    2018 Reflection 367 BH
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD Laramie LB 4x4
    2014 Adventurer 910 DB Truck camper

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all...

I am on my 4th RV while living on this property, with the latest being our 2018 303RLS. We have had mice and or chipmunks every winter in all the RVs except the 303! When we brought the 303 home I instantly went in to panic mode, thinking "those little SOBs are going to come after our new baby!!" I am happy to report, with a sprinkle of caution, that upon careful, thorough inspection there is *zero* sign of my arch enemies! I have employed (waged war) many strategies and methods, some of which I read on this, and other forums. I can't say which method did the trick, on the contrary, I think my apparent success is due to a combination of all these things, carefully implemented. I will share them all here in this post in hopes that it will save my fellow Grand Design owners from a RV full rodent poops and half eaten acorns in every drawer.... It was a bit of work, but well worth it. Probably spent less than $300 all together. Cheers, Neil

1) Location

I moved my storage location from the edge of the woods, to a spot more out in the open in my yard. I think this helped.

2) Cleanliness

We cleaned and cleaned some more. No food crumbs. Vacuumed everything. Cleaned fridge thoroughly. etc, etc....

3) Filled any opening where they could get in. Steel wool, foam insulation

I used an expanding spray foam insulation with a critter additive and filled any nook and cranny outside, slide mechanism, belly cover area, spare tire was lowered and plugged all the gaping slits in the belly membrane where the cable goes through. I used steel wool on the inside plugging where pipes and drains come up through and alond the bottom of the pantry.

4) Mouse Free

Great product. Followed mfg instructions. Went on nicely. Pricey, but worth it. I believe this was a great component to success.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro...n%2C148&sr=8-5

5) Refrigerator vents, furnace intake / exhaust

Part of plugging the hole strategy...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6) No RV Cover

I had visions of them shimmying up between the cover and the side, then getting into the AC unit, so I opted not to cover.

7) Sonic Deterrents

One in every room

8) Pepperment extract on cotton balls

In drawers, cuboards and slide corners

9) Fresh Cab

10) Storage of loose items.

Stored bedding, dishes, and loose stuff in plastic tubs.
    Most timely! The Battle Begins!

We have used the peppermint. I especially liked the spider traps someone mentioned, will look into that as we have a problem here in south central Texas with all manor of critters including spiders, scorpions, and fire ants. Found a black widow yesterday on our home front porch. We have 2 acres and have someones adjacent 5 acre property to ours that has never kept it maintained. Its all over grown to the point that you can't even walk through the property. All manor of critters live in there.

The critters are the only thing that really bugs me about living here in Texas (also the horrible drivers). I constantly have to fight off the critters, and ugly ones at that. Rattle snakes, corral snakes. We also have those big tarantula spiders, ugly suckers! It is the one thing that we will not miss about Texas when we go full time.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve said, “ I especially liked the spider traps someone mentioned,”

That would be me, and I did see different sizes to choose from. Seems like the taller, triangular shaped ones would catch all those creepy crawlers you listed! Check Amazon - “sticky spider traps”.
    Nancy (OkSU grad.)Our office space was in an old renovated dorm, and when we threw books at the palmetto bugs, they tossed ‘em back at us! Brrrrggrrrggg
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all...

I am on my 4th RV while living on this property, with the latest being our 2018 303RLS. We have had mice and or chipmunks every winter in all the RVs except the 303! When we brought the 303 home I instantly went in to panic mode, thinking "those little SOBs are going to come after our new baby!!" I am happy to report, with a sprinkle of caution, that upon careful, thorough inspection there is *zero* sign of my arch enemies! I have employed (waged war) many strategies and methods, some of which I read on this, and other forums. I can't say which method did the trick, on the contrary, I think my apparent success is due to a combination of all these things, carefully implemented. I will share them all here in this post in hopes that it will save my fellow Grand Design owners from a RV full rodent poops and half eaten acorns in every drawer.... It was a bit of work, but well worth it. Probably spent less than $300 all together. Cheers, Neil

1) Location

I moved my storage location from the edge of the woods, to a spot more out in the open in my yard. I think this helped.

2) Cleanliness

We cleaned and cleaned some more. No food crumbs. Vacuumed everything. Cleaned fridge thoroughly. etc, etc....

3) Filled any opening where they could get in. Steel wool, foam insulation

I used an expanding spray foam insulation with a critter additive and filled any nook and cranny outside, slide mechanism, belly cover area, spare tire was lowered and plugged all the gaping slits in the belly membrane where the cable goes through. I used steel wool on the inside plugging where pipes and drains come up through and alond the bottom of the pantry.

4) Mouse Free

Great product. Followed mfg instructions. Went on nicely. Pricey, but worth it. I believe this was a great component to success.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro...n%2C148&sr=8-5

5) Refrigerator vents, furnace intake / exhaust

Part of plugging the hole strategy...

6) No RV Cover

I had visions of them shimmying up between the cover and the side, then getting into the AC unit, so I opted not to cover.

7) Sonic Deterrents

One in every room

8) Pepperment extract on cotton balls

9) Fresh Cab

10) Storage of loose items.

Stored bedding, dishes, and loose stuff in plastic tubs.
    Wow, you did go to war! And you won! Thanks for the list. Steel wool is great and we us the peppermint oil. Iam going to try the sonic deterrent as well. We have been ok so far, but we always worry. Good job!
    Pino and sherry
    2019 GD 303 RLS
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson hitch
    Champion 3400 dual fuel generator
    “Out ‘n About, Eh”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slauretani View Post
    Wow, you did go to war! And you won! Thanks for the list. Steel wool is great and we us the peppermint oil. Iam going to try the sonic deterrent as well. We have been ok so far, but we always worry. Good job!
    Thanks.. It is a war that never ends, but we did win the winter. Quick update. Still looking good and getting ready for camping. Woohoo!
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123