User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beware of the Tail Swing!

As the title says, BEWARE of the tail swing in tight places!

Audrey and I spent the weekend at a Thousand Trails campground in Palm Desert CA. The campground was very tight with palm trees in the worst locations imaginable. The campground itself was okay, nothing special, but it is NOT big rig friendly. Had we known this we would have never booked a spot there. I pride myself on my ability to maneuver the 5'er in seemingly tight quarters but even I had a heck of a time getting in to the space. On a side rant, Thousand Trails (we got a 1 year free membership when we bought the 5th wheel) campgrounds are first come first served. You cannot reserve a specific spot. There were many small campers and camper vans set up in huge pull-thru's. People, leave those for people who need them... Anyway, as we were leaving, I was trying to make a right hand turn to exit the campground. I positioned myself as far left as I thought I needed to be, pulled forward as far as I could, and started my turn. I was so close to the tree on my left, I has to back up a little, cutting my wheels to the left to keep the trailer positioned. As you can see from the tire marks in the pics below, I still darn near hit the tree on my right. As we pulled forward, a fellow camper started flagging us down. Yep! My tail swing hit a parked car on my left.

Of course, we were very apologetic and gave them my insurance information. We also filed an insurance claim as soon as we arrived home and forwarded this on the the other party. He was very understanding, although a bit upset (who could blame him). He told my wife that this happens often in this park because it is so tight. What really scared me was the fact that I didn't hear or feel the impact. Had the other camper not stopped us I would have never known I hit somebody. If I do something to damage your property, I want to make it right. This could have easily been an unintentional Hit and Run! That scares the bejesus out of me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190310_115851_resized.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	18240

If you look closely at this pic, you can see how close my tires were to the tree on the right. Also, look on the ground in front of the tree on the left and you'll see marks where I turned my wheels from hard right to hard left to back up a bit.

Name:	20190310_115836_resized.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	18241

You can see how close I was to his car when I started my turn. I should have paid more attention to how far left I was, but at the time, I was more concerned about the trees.

Name:	20190310_115817_resized.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18242

The damage to his car is significant, unfortunately.

Name:	20190310_115920_resized.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	18243

Very minor damage to the left rear corner of my Momentum.

Name:	20190310_115902_resized.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	18244

Just another pic to show the perspective.

Lesson learned, when in such tight areas, have someone walk me out and keep an eye on clearances.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 03-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John

Great write up, and plenty will learn a lesson from this.(sorry it had to happen to you).

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in the civilian world, a ground guide is always a good thing.

Sorry to hear about the accident.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up and pics. I'm still a newbie at this towing stuff and am also afraid of tail swing. This is a good lesson/reminder for us to use spotters in tight places.
    I'm sorry for your accident, but am grateful that you shared it with us. Thanks
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this with us John. Having an extra long RV does make things much more challenging.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Thanks for sharing this with us John. Having an extra long RV does make things much more challenging.
    Not only an extra long RV but also an extra long truck. Crew Cab Long Box makes me extra extra long.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Not only an extra long RV but also an extra long truck. Crew Cab Long Box makes me extra extra long.

John
    Yep! I'm in the same boat. 5th wheel is 42' 6". Truck is CC LB. Turning radius is horrible.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can happen to anyone. I have been in this situation a few times in our many years full time. Fortunately the occasional things I've bumped or grazed weren't owned by anyone and didn't cause any damage but the potential is there for sure and every single one of us can have this happen.

I try and take every inch the road gives me because of how long we are and the back end lagging towards the turn. Our owned lot is in a very tight park. I'm kind of grateful I got broken in moving in and out over here. It was a PIA to get used to but it has helped build my comfort up now that i'm used to it.

Fortunately it was minor damage. Now I'm going to go knock on some wood and hope I don't ding anything on our next trip.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, while coming into a truck stop in Denver a fellow in a TT was blocking the in side of an RV gas island, I tried to thread my way past him and get into the gas island without hitting anything, didn't work. I had a MC rack on the back of my 5th wheel, it caught the guys TT, another 3 inches and I would have cleared, but I didn't. The guy was totally cool about it, he knew he was parking in the incorrect spot, his wife, not so much. Doesn't matter, I hit their trailer with mine. We exchanged information, he was quite apologetic about blocking the incoming fuel lane, I was apologetic about clipping his trailer. Insurance fixed his trailer.

Events occur.

You do need to look out for tail swing.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious, even if you had a spotter, would there have been a way to approach that turn any differently?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast