User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grand Design and 5th Wheels

My wife and I are relatively new to camping, starting with a TT/Toy hauler last year and ordering a Solitude S-class 3350RL a few months ago. We took 5 trips and spent about 2 months with the trailer last year and loved it. The people we’ve met, the places we visited, the scenery, the freedom, the pace of life, it’s all great. And.. the dogs love it.

I have recently retired, Jen a few years ago and we are wanting to travel the country, without kenneling the dogs. We have a half dozen trips scheduled so far this year and looking to plan a western trip for this fall. Tips on favorite places to go and things to see would be greatly appreciated.

Researching the trailer brands led me to this site and I can honestly say that this is the most civil and helpful community I have been associated with. I truly think there are lots of special people here. The depth of knowledge is extraordinary.

Needing a larger tow vehicle, I heeded advice and honestly looked at the truck manufacturers sites with open eyes due to the information I have gleaned from this site. Real world weights and capacities that I never expected, because I was schooled by the manufacturers’ data that was... well let’s say optimistic.

Well, the new F350 and 5th Wheel are finally here. We need to put a few more miles on the truck before bringing the rig home from dealer storage. We’re getting excited and looking forward to that first trip.
    Chip & Jen Snow - Dogs: Gracie & Gryff

2019 F-350 6.7L DRW
    2019 Solitude S-Class 3350RL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Great choices
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new and exciting adventure! We are close to those exciting years too. We have been camping for close to 35 years and love it. We just purchased our first 5th wheel. And love it!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group. Thanks for becoming a sponsor and looking forward to your input.
    Your dog picture is cool, although I think he is still staring at me(haha).

Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewchip View Post
    My wife and I are relatively new to camping, starting with a TT/Toy hauler last year and ordering a Solitude S-class 3350RL a few months ago. We took 5 trips and spent about 2 months with the trailer last year and loved it. The people we’ve met, the places we visited, the scenery, the freedom, the pace of life, it’s all great. And.. the dogs love it.

I have recently retired, Jen a few years ago and we are wanting to travel the country, without kenneling the dogs. We have a half dozen trips scheduled so far this year and looking to plan a western trip for this fall. Tips on favorite places to go and things to see would be greatly appreciated.

Researching the trailer brands led me to this site and I can honestly say that this is the most civil and helpful community I have been associated with. I truly think there are lots of special people here. The depth of knowledge is extraordinary.

Needing a larger tow vehicle, I heeded advice and honestly looked at the truck manufacturers sites with open eyes due to the information I have gleaned from this site. Real world weights and capacities that I never expected, because I was schooled by the manufacturers’ data that was... well let’s say optimistic.

Well, the new F350 and 5th Wheel are finally here. We need to put a few more miles on the truck before bringing the rig home from dealer storage. We’re getting excited and looking forward to that first trip.
    What a great first post. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your site sponsorship. As you probably know by now, as individual members our sponsorship keeps the ads off of this site. Some of us also think that having skin in the game has a direct impact on creating and sustaining what you accurately describe as a "civil and helpful community".

I hope you'll be a regular contributor, sharing your (inevitable) mods and experiences, both the good and the not-so-good.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and welcome. Great choices. Hope you have many years of great adventures and please share. This is a great group of people.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to our little corner of the interwebs, and congrats on the new rig and truck. I'm new here also...about a month or so. Like you, totally new to 5ver towing also. I've been towing various size trailers for 48 years, but never a fifth wheel until March 1st, when we bought our Momentum 394. Pretty intimidating initially, but I'm sure I'll get comfortable fairly quick. And I have to agree with you about what a great community this is...lots of welcomes and so far, all my questions have been answered.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the friendly welcomes.

Country Campers: That picture is Gryff, he looks at everybody like that . As long as you don’t have feathers he’s your best friend.

Howson: Some of those mods are already percolating in my head; new batteries/DC distribution, disc brakes, house water filter are a few so far. Planning to research and share experiences here.

xrated: We must be of similar age as I also have experience with trailers, but not the 5ver type. Congratulations on your new Momentum, I see you jumped into the deep end of the pool with respect to weight and length of the new rig. Interested to hear what you intend to carry in the garage and where you ride.
    Last edited by Brewchip; 03-12-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Chip & Jen Snow - Dogs: Gracie & Gryff

2019 F-350 6.7L DRW
    2019 Solitude S-Class 3350RL

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Chip & Jen, we have the same unit taking possession 3 weeks ago. Prior to the 3350RL we had an Imagine 2950RL. We hope you will love the 3350, we do. I know the giddy and exhilaration you are feeling having a new RV and TV. Living here in central Texas, the gulf coast is only 4 hours away and we love taking our RV to the coast and waking up to the sun rising over the gulf, taking long walks on the beach. it doesn't get any better than that for us!
    There are great people here on the forum, willing to lend a hand and advice. Welcome Aboard!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewchip View Post
    Thanks to all for the friendly welcomes.

Country Campers: That picture is Gryff, he looks at everybody like that . As long as you don’t have feathers he’s your best friend.

Howson: Some of those mods are already percolating in my head; new batteries/DC distribution, disc brakes, house water filter are a few so far. Planning to research and share experiences here.

xrated: We must be of similar age as I also have experience with trailers, but not the 5ver type. Congratulations on your new Momentum, I see you jumped into the deep end of the pool with respect to weight and length of the new rig. Interested to hear what you intend to carry in the garage and where you ride.
    I turned 64 this past Nov. And my wife is two years older than I am. We both ride motorcycles, she's got a Yamaha FZ07, and mine is a FZ09. We also like to ride bicycles, although no mountain biking....just greenways and bike trails that are mostly hard packed or paved. My previous Toy Hauler has a 10' garage and it was a little small, so the 394 should be perfect with a 12 1/2' garage. Most likely the bikes and the motorcycles will not be on the same trip together, but there will be room for both now, if we want to.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"