User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It's static and nothing to do with your electrical system. 100% certain. The walking generates the charge on you and the spark happens when you touch metal. Going barefoot, with just cotton socks or leather soled shoes will fix it. Rubber soled shoes and any kind of wool garments make it the worst possible shock.
    So I think you are right. I just disconnected the battery and shore power. As a test I walked back and forth with my shoes and after touching the faucet got shocked. Took shoes off and no shock. So it seems that it is static. It can't be hot skin or any other electrical issue if the battery and power are disconnected. Is there any other source of power that might cause something like this?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the rapid fire updates. Grand Design contacted my dealer and they want them to look it over. According to Grand Design it should not be constantly causing static discharge. So off to the dealer it goes.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 311Snow View Post
    So I think you are right. I just disconnected the battery and shore power. As a test I walked back and forth with my shoes and after touching the faucet got shocked. Took shoes off and no shock. So it seems that it is static. It can't be hot skin or any other electrical issue if the battery and power are disconnected. Is there any other source of power that might cause something like this?
    I’m an electrical engineer and could not be more certain it is static.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I’m an electrical engineer and could not be more certain it is static.
    That's a shocking statement!
    sorry couldn't resist.

Brian

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest getting a hot skin test done on it. There are several you tube videos on how to do this and here is just one of those videos.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8h64X33aKg

We are full time for 18 months in our Momentum and neither of us have ever been shocked.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my dealer stated they can not reproduce the issue. I am heading down there tomorrow to show them what's going on. Several folks have mentioned they have never had any static shock in their RV. I am really wondering what the issue is and I am concerned that its something that can't be fixed or will not be root caused. Anyway I hope the trip to the dealer tomorrow produces some result.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my dealer stated they can not reproduce the issue. I am heading down there tomorrow to show them what's going on. Several folks have mentioned they have never had any static shock in their RV. I am really wondering what the issue is and I am concerned that its something that can't be fixed or will not be root caused. Anyway I hope the trip to the dealer tomorrow produces some result.
    Where do you live? Static generation is very much dependent on weather conditions and clothing. If they are wearing work shoes with leather soles, it won't happen. A change in humidity is all it takes to start or stop it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came back from the dealer with 5th wheel in tow. It is static and its related to my shoes. They could not recreate the issue at all. I get in there with my shoes and I get shocked. If I walk back and forth in the living area others that touch the faucet or any metal in the camper will get shocked. We tested a brand new Reflection they just received today. I walked back and forth in that one, and I get a shock. The flooring material and my shoes must be very conductive to each other, but it clearly is not an issue with the electrical in our rig. Its an issue with my cheap New Balance shoes.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came back from the dealer with 5th wheel in tow. It is static and its related to my shoes. They could not recreate the issue at all. I get in there with my shoes and I get shocked. If I walk back and forth in the living area others that touch the faucet or any metal in the camper will get shocked. We tested a brand new Reflection they just received today. I walked back and forth in that one, and I get a shock. The flooring material and my shoes must be very conductive to each other, but it clearly is not an issue with the electrical in our rig. Its an issue with my cheap New Balance shoes.
    That's it your grounded no more camping for you.

Glad you got something figured out, still kind of weird though.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome--so glad it was nothing to worry about (tip of the hat to @jkwilson).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast