User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Reflection 311BHS Shocks us when ever we touch metal in the camper

Hello all. We just took delivery of a 2019 Reflection 311BHS Saturday March 9th. The PDI went well. While testing the cook top my wife got a "static" shock. Nothing major just a small shock. Toed it home and started moving in. We noticed that every time we touched the faucet it would give us a static like shock. Again, thought it was just normal static. Today I noticed that its 100% reproducible meaning I can walk from the back bunk room across the living room. If I touch the faucet I will get a static shock. It actually arcs from the faucet to the skin. Doing some research it seems like it might be a bad ground. It also seems like it could turn into a more serious situation with out warning. Something known as "Hot Skin" that can cause fatal electrocution. Anyone else with this model run into a problem like this? I contacted my dealer today. We are leaving for our first trip on Saturday so I hope they can resolve it quickly. Should I contact Grand Design? Really like the coach so far, but this is a bit worrisome. It really could be anything. I hope it just a bad ground. But if its a nicked wire then that could take them weeks to diagnose.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-shocking-me!!

There is some good discussion on this issue in the above link. On a side note, welcome to the forum.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to walk the length of the rig for it to happen, it's likely static. Simple test to see if anything is wrong is to see if the shock happens when shore power is disconnected. Without shore power there is nothing in the RV that can shock you.

It's especially unlikely that a grounding issue would be detected inside the RV itself, as the hot skin issue is caused by the metal outer parts of the RV being at a different voltage than the surface you are standing on, usually the ground.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 311Snow View Post
    Hello all. We just took delivery of a 2019 Reflection 311BHS Saturday March 9th. The PDI went well. While testing the cook top my wife got a "static" shock. Nothing major just a small shock. Toed it home and started moving in. We noticed that every time we touched the faucet it would give us a static like shock. Again, thought it was just normal static. Today I noticed that its 100% reproducible meaning I can walk from the back bunk room across the living room. If I touch the faucet I will get a static shock. It actually arcs from the faucet to the skin. Doing some research it seems like it might be a bad ground. It also seems like it could turn into a more serious situation with out warning. Something known as "Hot Skin" that can cause fatal electrocution. Anyone else with this model run into a problem like this? I contacted my dealer today. We are leaving for our first trip on Saturday so I hope they can resolve it quickly. Should I contact Grand Design? Really like the coach so far, but this is a bit worrisome. It really could be anything. I hope it just a bad ground. But if its a nicked wire then that could take them weeks to diagnose.
    While it could be nothing, you are correct that it could also be a serious problem. The thread @FT4NOW linked has an excellent amount of information so I won't repeat it here.

BL: There may be a dangerous electrical problem in your trailer, one that could even be lethal with the right combination of circumstances. I'm not trying to scare you but at the same time I'm not going to sugar coat it, either. Don't ignore what that "inside voice" is trying to tell you.

If the dealer doesn't check the trailer to your satisfaction, by all means contact GD.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link and the welcome!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't just be static. If i just walk back and forth in front of the TV and then touch the faucet I get a shock. Static should dissipate and not be reproducible...right? The symptom is the same on shore power or on battery. There is an issue with the electrical in my coach. We owned a Coachman Chaparral for 9 years and never encountered an issue like this. We had several other issues, but nothing like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't "typically" "feel" a shock from a 12 volt DC system.

Try disconnecting the battery and try everything you previously tried to reproduce the shock.

Definitely a weird situation...
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 311Snow View Post
    It can't just be static. If i just walk back and forth in front of the TV and then touch the faucet I get a shock. Static should dissipate and not be reproducible...right? The symptom is the same on shore power or on battery. There is an issue with the electrical in my coach. We owned a Coachman Chaparral for 9 years and never encountered an issue like this. We had several other issues, but nothing like this.
    It's static and nothing to do with your electrical system. 100% certain. The walking generates the charge on you and the spark happens when you touch metal. Going barefoot, with just cotton socks or leather soled shoes will fix it. Rubber soled shoes and any kind of wool garments make it the worst possible shock.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It's static and nothing to do with your electrical system. 100% certain. The walking generates the charge on you and the spark happens when you touch metal. Going barefoot, with just cotton socks or leather soled shoes will fix it. Rubber soled shoes and any kind of wool garments make it the worst possible shock.
    So this should happen in every 311? I live in Texas the relative humidity today is over 60%. It happens even if we don't have shoes on. This never happened in our last 5th wheel??

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lptxtandem View Post
    You won't "typically" "feel" a shock from a 12 volt DC system.

Try disconnecting the battery and try everything you previously tried to reproduce the shock.

Definitely a weird situation...
    Happens even on battery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast