User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    Can you get an accurate tongue weight at the CAT scale? I'm too cheap to buy a Sherline scale for one measurement.

Would if be work to place the tongue jack on the CAT scale and level the trailer to weigh it?
    Weight the truck Sans trailer, hook up trailer and pull truck only on the scale. with the trailer hooked up. Weigh it. The difference is the tongue weight.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ 2x. Easy to do and the second (re)weigh within a 24 Hr(?) time period is only a couple of dollars. The weigh masters are used to this. Do not unhook/hook up on the scales. It takes to long and ties up the scales.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfish View Post
    Trying to get real world tongue weights for TTs is difficult. Manufacturers post the dry weight (which I hear is often understated). Many posts say use 10 to 15% of GVWR of the TT as a maximum. But what are the actual tongue weights of the various models that users have measured? Would be interesting to see what the actual 'average' weights are and where they fall between the 2. I'm particularly interested in the 2400BH and the 2800BH but others who are trying to figure their payload before buying might be interested in actuals as well. If you've measured your tongue weight, mind sharing?
    I weighed mine with a Sherline scale a couple of times last year. On my 2018 Imagine 2600RB, tongue weight is about 1,025 lbs, which is just a hair over 15% of GVWR. It's not really that we carry that much stuff, it's just that all the storage is in front of the axles. Refrigerator, closet and TV is right over the axles. Both gray tanks and fresh tank in front of axles. The only thing behind the axles is the black tank and small cabinets in the bathroom. Basically, the only way to offset any tongue weight is to fill the black tank, which I don't want to do. So, I decided I can get by with tongue weight just a little over 15% of GVWR.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Vortec 6L V8, 4.10 Rear Axle
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000# Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertised weight of the 2600RB (from GD website) says:
    UVW: 5,725 lbs| Hitch Weight: 594 lb
    With an advertised hitch weight of 594lbs and actuals hitting 1,205lbs no wonder it makes it hard to shop for people to make a proper buying decision with a TV they already own. I'd be curious to know what the actual Hitch Weights are off the assembly line. Honestly, there are few options available, it would help everyone if GD would update their specs. Just my opinion.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertised weight of the 2600RB (from GD website) says:
    UVW: 5,725 lbs| Hitch Weight: 594 lb
    With an advertised hitch weight of 594lbs and actuals hitting 1,205lbs no wonder it makes it hard to shop for people to make a proper buying decision with a TV they already own. I'd be curious to know what the actual Hitch Weights are off the assembly line. Honestly, there are few options available, it would help everyone if GD would update their specs. Just my opinion.
    Greyfish

This is why its always best to use the GVWR of the trailer and to use 15% for a good estimate of a heavily loaded trailer. The max GVWR is constant so this is a solid number that can be relied on.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2019 2800BH tongue weighs 890 ready to camp. Empty tanks. That's measured with a tongue scale and trailer level.
    Now when taking weight as payload added to my expedition I'm closer to 1000 once you throw in the hitch. So I'm under my 920 max tongue capacity per the Ford sticker on the hitch and im under max payload per the door sticker once the 1000 is added on to myself, wife, 2 little ones, dog, and a little gear (most gear goes in the trailer). Close, but safe and in limits. Tows well at 65 unless I get a crosswind of over 20.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Actual Tongue Weights

My pin weight averages about 1,600 lbs (18%).
    I have the 26’ Reflection 150 series GVWR is 8995.
    Pin weight is on the heavy side because we full time and have a lot of mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-16-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    My 2019 2800BH tongue weighs 890 ready to camp. Empty tanks. That's measured with a tongue scale and trailer level.
    Now when taking weight as payload added to my expedition I'm closer to 1000 once you throw in the hitch. So I'm under my 920 max tongue capacity per the Ford sticker on the hitch and im under max payload per the door sticker once the 1000 is added on to myself, wife, 2 little ones, dog, and a little gear (most gear goes in the trailer). Close, but safe and in limits. Tows well at 65 unless I get a crosswind of over 20.
    out all
    Sounds good. No issues with big rigs passing? I'm purchasing a unit this winter and trying to find out all I can. Never towed anything over 3500 lbs before (boat).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    My pin weight averages about 1,600 lbs (18%).
    I have the 26’ Reflection 150 series GVWR is 8995.
    Pin weight is on the heavy side because we full time and have a lot of mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would have loved to have done that. Too old now though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out all
    Sounds good. No issues with big rigs passing? I'm purchasing a unit this winter and trying to find out all I can. Never towed anything over 3500 lbs before (boat).
    If I'm hugging the same side of the lane there are passing on I'll feel it but if I'm riding the outside of the lane then no. I think anything in the light truck/SUV range will feel that pull so you just have to pay attention while driving and not drift close to the other lane. That or upgrade to a 350 I guess.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast