User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actual Tongue Weights

Trying to get real world tongue weights for TTs is difficult. Manufacturers post the dry weight (which I hear is often understated). Many posts say use 10 to 15% of GVWR of the TT as a maximum. But what are the actual tongue weights of the various models that users have measured? Would be interesting to see what the actual 'average' weights are and where they fall between the 2. I'm particularly interested in the 2400BH and the 2800BH but others who are trying to figure their payload before buying might be interested in actuals as well. If you've measured your tongue weight, mind sharing?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very tall ask, in my opinion. Actual loaded tongue weights will vary significantly between different owners, depending on ow they load the TT, whether or not they travel with water in their tanks, and how much etc...

Taking a sample size of just a few, and calculating the average, and using that to decide whether or not your application will be the same, higher or lower, is really a crap shoot.

The reason most people use 15% of GVWR is because that will cover far more scenarios (okay, pretty much all scenario's), and be "safer" than trying to take a likely small sample size and making that decision.

Assuming you're searching for this info, in order to make an "informed" purchase decision, you should err on the conservative side. Not sure how I'd feel if I made a decision based on a couple of inputs on real world weights, and ended up making a mistake.

Im sure it's not the answer you wanted to hear, and Im sure someone will post their weights. Just understand, that is in their application. Yours will likely be different

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greyfish,

We have 2018 version of one of the models you mentioned; the Imagine 2800BH. Since you mentioned tongue weight, I'll give you that first: with our trailer loaded for a typical weekend camping trip the hitch weight is about 1,000 lbs. That includes the weight of the hitch itself, and is based on all the trailer's tanks being empty since we always visit campgrounds that have at least basic hook-ups.

Now the context for that tongue weight: with our trailer loaded for a typical weekend camping trip we are nearly at the trailer's GVWR of 7,495 lbs. (GVWR increased by 500 lbs. for 2019). The reason that we're so close to the GVWR is not because we're carrying an excessive amount of gear, but because our trailer's actual UVW is much higher than was advertised in the brochure. The brochure listed the average UVW as 5,885 lbs. which would yeild a cargo carrying capacity of 1,570 lbs. after deducting for the two 20-lb. LP tanks. Our trailer rolled out of the factory much heavier with an actual UVW of 6,564 lbs. (11% over advertised average), resulting in a CCC of only 891 lbs. (43% less than advertised average).

So in our case, using 13% of the trailer's GVWR gets pretty close to the actual tongue weight.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfish View Post
    Trying to get real world tongue weights for TTs is difficult. Manufacturers post the dry weight (which I hear is often understated). Many posts say use 10 to 15% of GVWR of the TT as a maximum. But what are the actual tongue weights of the various models that users have measured? Would be interesting to see what the actual 'average' weights are and where they fall between the 2. I'm particularly interested in the 2400BH and the 2800BH but others who are trying to figure their payload before buying might be interested in actuals as well. If you've measured your tongue weight, mind sharing?
    Absolutely, thanks for the reply. I don't disagree, to be safe always make the buying decision on max. I'm just interested in what others have measured. I often over plan and over research. More information is better than less. Even though I might be safe (within load limits) of my payload, I may not be comfortable. For example, if advertised is 600lbs, Max is 1,200lbs and I have a enough payload to manage 1,300lbs I'd be more inclined to consider this scenario if others are measuring 800-900lbs vs. 1,000-1,100lbs. Also, just plain curious to see what real measurements come out to.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Greyfish,

We have 2018 version of one of the models you mentioned; the Imagine 2800BH. Since you mentioned tongue weight, I'll give you that first: with our trailer loaded for a typical weekend camping trip the hitch weight is about 1,000 lbs. That includes the weight of the hitch itself, and is based on all the trailer's tanks being empty since we always visit campgrounds that have at least basic hook-ups.

Now the context for that tongue weight: with our trailer loaded for a typical weekend camping trip we are nearly at the trailer's GVWR of 7,495 lbs. (GVWR increased by 500 lbs. for 2019). The reason that we're so close to the GVWR is not because we're carrying an excessive amount of gear, but because our trailer's actual UVW is much higher than was advertised in the brochure. The brochure listed the average UVW as 5,885 lbs. which would yeild a cargo carrying capacity of 1,570 lbs. after deducting for the two 20-lb. LP tanks. Our trailer rolled out of the factory much heavier with an actual UVW of 6,564 lbs. (11% over advertised average), resulting in a CCC of only 891 lbs. (43% less than advertised average).

So in our case, using 13% of the trailer's GVWR gets pretty close to the actual tongue weight.
    Wow, that's quite a difference in GVWR! I wouldn't have thought it could be that different. I would think that manufacturers should certainly know (and advertise) these numbers more accurately. Something to consider when researching. Thanks for the information.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfish View Post
    Wow, that's quite a difference in GVWR! I wouldn't have thought it could be that different. I would think that manufacturers should certainly know (and advertise) these numbers more accurately. Something to consider when researching. Thanks for the information.
    I think the significant difference is in the actual UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) vs GD's listed UVW. Many of us have experienced the same result as jw^family.

The UVW (and tongue or pin weight) figure issue is comparable to the payload number issue with the truck manufacturers. The figures in their brochures are only valid for completely stripped, regular cab trucks.

Good on ya for doing your homework. I research, too, but completely missed the part about "the sticker" related to payload (I went by the brochure) thus the reason I'm a member of the TwoTimeTV Club.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was headed down the same road. Looked up the payload capacity from Ford on my truck and it said I had 2050lbs of payload including a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. Actual sticker on the door is 1,458. Almost 600lbs of difference. That's a huge (wonder where it all went as the 2050 listing was for a 4X4 with supercrew cab). I would never have known this without the answers I got on this site. Thanks all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F150 PAYLOAD.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	18312

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I think the significant difference is in the actual UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) vs GD's listed UVW. Many of us have experienced the same result as jw^family.

The UVW (and tongue or pin weight) figure issue is comparable to the payload number issue with the truck manufacturers. The figures in their brochures are only valid for completely stripped, regular cab trucks.

Good on ya for doing your homework. I research, too, but completely missed the part about "the sticker" related to payload (I went by the brochure) thus the reason I'm a member of the TwoTimeTV Club.
    I find it strange that the UVW is so far off on units like the 2800BH, it's not like there are a lot of options to change. Are they basing the UVW on units without the mandatory packages? There aren't many items that you could delete on the unit to get down close to the listed UVW. At least with a truck you might be able to get to the advertised payload with the right options. This seems more like Ford saying you can get the listed payload with a 4x2 XL regular cab truck, but then only being able to order a base 4x4 XLT crewcab.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Sherline tongue or pin weight scale is a good investment. They have different ranges for different situations. http://www.sherline.com/product/sher...-weight-scale/ This scale will allow you to confirm your dry pin weight and measure exactly how cargo is affecting tongue weight.

For those who have a production end-of-line weight document from GDRV with a tongue/pin weight well above the spec sheet . . . GDRV has had problems in the past making sure that all the tanks are completely drained after water system testing and before final station weighing. The Sherline scale can confirm/correct your actual dry tongue weight.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get an accurate tongue weight at the CAT scale? I'm too cheap to buy a Sherline scale for one measurement.

Would if be work to place the tongue jack on the CAT scale and level the trailer to weigh it?
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast