User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verizon Jetpack and Phone Canadians & US

I hope this is the right spot for this post.

I picked up a Verizon Jetpack yesterday at a Verizon store in Lakeland Florida. The cost was 199.00 plus 70.00 for one month of internet. If you don't have a Verizon account the first month is 70.00 and the next month will be 65.00. We are headed home April 15 but wanted to get and test the unit. They activate the unit right away and turn it on you need to connect anything to it that uses wifi to connect to the Verizon towers. What they didn't tell me was you need to turn the unit off then on once you connect through your Wifi device.
    We went to the campground in Bartow Fl that we plan on staying in next winter great signal 5 bars. We went to about 5 RV parks and the biggest issue we found was no Wifi or really bad wifi 1 park you had to get a contract with local company cost 55.00 no TV or phone and you are subject to speed and throttling.
    My solution the Jetpack. This gives us internet unlimited no throttling and a good speed getting 55mbps download and 15mps upload where we are in Auburndale. We have an android box with a paid service that gives us over 5000 TV stations including Canada even has Barrie Ontario. We have 2 Magicjacks one with a Canadian number for Barrie Ont and one with a Florida 863 area code (less than 70.00 a year for both). With the Magicjack running and the TV watching Barrie news and weather we had no buffering and everything worked perfect. Verizon has coverage everywhere we will be staying at and traveling to get there at 65.00 a month with no contract for TV, internet and phone with no buffering is a bargain. Your Canadian cellphone on airplane mode works while traveling using the magicjack and Jetpack for making phone calls.
    We facetime every day with our 2 grandsons 3 and 6 in Winnipeg it was important to us to be able to keep this up over our RV travels.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    I hope this is the right spot for this post.
    No worries! I moved your post to the Electronics section. The subject is of interest to many forum participants due to their mobile lifestyle so it is "on topic".

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very interested in this topic. It is on my list to figure out for next winter as it will be our first as a snowbirds.

I found that Bell has a Canada - US plan, $115/month and then you add the data package that you want. $25/month for 4GB and up to $60/month for 11GB/month. You can use your existing mobile phone # seamlessly between the 2 countries, no roaming fees. The downside is the Data cap, we would be over very quickly if we were to stream content.

Another option is Roam Mobility, you have to switch SIM cards and the plan throttles you down after you hit 4GB in a month.

A lot of members on this forum us the Verizon jetpack and for good reason. Your solution looks great!

Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up on my purchase of my Jet Pack.
    The good and the bad.

My subscription had run out with Verizon and I need it active for 10 days in the states. I tried to add 70.00 for 1 month but it said my account did not exist so I spent over a day trying to get a live person what a nightmare there system is. I finally get through and the lady tells me she can renew my account provided the cell number for my Jet Pack has not been reissued oh oh. I ask her what if it has she says I will need to go to a Verizon store or they can mail one to me....I need this in a week not going to make it to Canada by mail in a week. Lucy for me the number can be activated again, they activate it buy I need to pay for it Verizon will not let you pay for it through their automated system without a zip code. I had to change my zip code on my credit card. Once I did that I was able to pay 70.00 for 30 days. Once we crossed at Sarnia I turned the Jet Pack on and we had wifi in the car. We already had our magic loaded on our cell phones so we were good to go. All the way down I75 we had service except 1 small area in TN. My wife video chatted with her mom, our daughter in Winnipeg and our grandsons without any problem. We are in Locust Grove Ga tonight and am very pleased with how the jet pack is working. Bell in Canada has the same Jet pack and I am hoping that we can buy a 1 month unlimited for use in Manitoba when we head there in August. Even if I lose my number by next winter I would still be happy with the Jet Pack and how this works for us.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly attest to how horrible Verizon wireless customer support is. I had so many issues with my prepaid hotspot, I nearly quit and sold it. So many calls and so many promises and lies. Ended up getting a new unit. Had to return it to the store, wait 3 days to get it only to find they don't ship it with a battery and they took mine at the store. Ended getting some used battery from the store. I still have issues with dropping internet but it's much better than it was. Still not totally satisfied but I enjoy the portability.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    I can certainly attest to how horrible Verizon wireless customer support is. I had so many issues with my prepaid hotspot, I nearly quit and sold it. So many calls and so many promises and lies. Ended up getting a new unit. Had to return it to the store, wait 3 days to get it only to find they don't ship it with a battery and they took mine at the store. Ended getting some used battery from the store. I still have issues with dropping internet but it's much better than it was. Still not totally satisfied but I enjoy the portability.
    I had a nearly-identical experience with Verizon. However after a month of extreme frustration I got a replacement device and was very pleased with it.
    @iproff1 I'm a Canadian like you and I've recently picked up the MiFi 7700 from Rogers; they won't sell or support the MiFi 8800 we have from Verizon.

Whereas we got unlimited data for US$65 from Verizon, in Canada Rogers is charging me CDN$60 for FIVE gigabytes (!!!) and another CDN$20 for every additional 10Gb used. Canada's cell phone providers, who have decades of experience giving Canadians some of the highest cell phone costs in the world, have only just started to talk about "unlimited" data. I'm hopeful I'll be able to move to a better plan in the coming months.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch