User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closed Rest Areas?

I have several routes planned over a couple of weeks. I've programmed in stops at major rest areas. On my last trip I was surprised by one that was closed in Georgia, just prior to the Tifton exit. I also know the rest area on I-10 east of Tallahassee is closed, too, courtesy of Hurricane Michael.

Question
    Is there one website (or app) that lists the open or closed status of rest areas in the US? Hard to be spontaneous in a DRW towing a 38' trailer.

Notes
    http://restareas.appspot.com/ shows the rest areas but not their status.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/map-of-rest-areas/ also shows the rest areas but not their status.

Even Florida's https://fl511.com website doesn't even show the closed rest area on I-10! (The one east of Tallahassee.)

I've looked through the Play Store and all I found is similar to the websites linked above.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about every state but I was able to access the AZ site for this type of info. I would suspect most states have similar info available.

https://www.azdot.gov/business/highw...ehabs-closures
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I have several routes planned over a couple of weeks. I've programmed in stops at major rest areas. On my last trip I was surprised by one that was closed in Georgia, just prior to the Tifton exit. I also know the rest area on I-10 east of Tallahassee is closed, too, courtesy of Hurricane Michael.

Question
    Is there one website (or app) that lists the open or closed status of rest areas in the US? Hard to be spontaneous in a DRW towing a 38' trailer.

Notes
    http://restareas.appspot.com/ shows the rest areas but not their status.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/map-of-rest-areas/ also shows the rest areas but not their status.

Even Florida's https://fl511.com website doesn't even show the closed rest area on I-10! (The one east of Tallahassee.)

I've looked through the Play Store and all I found is similar to the websites linked above.
    I use the app Rest Stops, super helpful when you need to know when a rest stop is coming, select state then highway, then cardinal direction. Lists all rest stops and miles away based on your location. Shows the status as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that sure beats my option :-)
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lot of them in mass closed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are heading down south in May and we are looking for somewhere to stop twice before arriving in Florida. We normally stay in rest stops and just sleep in our truck. But we would like to actually sleep in our rig. Most rest areas won’t allow this.
    Has anyone stayed at a cabela’s or Cracker Barrel over night in their rig?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have stayed at Cabela's once, in WV. It was no different than any other parking lot overnight. We have also slept at Wal Mart, Different truck stops, and in rest areas. Rest areas are the worst with trucks entering and leaving and Reefer units starting and stopping all night long. Truck stops are a little better, and Wal Mart has gotten as bad as truck stops with trucks coming and going making noise. I wish trucks could stick to using truck stops and rest areas and leave Wal Mart for RV's but I realize there aren't enough spaces for that to happen.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slauretani View Post
    We are heading down south in May and we are looking for somewhere to stop twice before arriving in Florida. We normally stay in rest stops and just sleep in our truck. But we would like to actually sleep in our rig. Most rest areas won’t allow this.
    Has anyone stayed at a cabela’s or Cracker Barrel over night in their rig?
    Yep and even Wall Mart. Been OK but noisy at times. I always check inside if it will be ok or safe. The Wall Mart at Amarillo even had night security checking the lot. I had to stop there due to extreme ice fog. I have also stayed in a few rest stops and never had an issue. That was with my old rig where I did not need to put the slide out to get to the bed room. I have talked to a lot of State Troopers and they moistly say OK for up to 8 hours as long as you don't put the tent out and fire up a grill outside....I,E look like your camping. I know they are not around any more but Stuckies (sp) was always a good place to park. My dad stooped a lot there back when.

Also look for city parks and city camp grounds. There are several along 287 and 84 in Texas that were free for the night, I have seen others in other states too. Some with power and dump stations. Just keep an eye out or ask if you stop to eat.

On edit - Many states are closing rest areas due to operation costs and tight State budgets. Colorado closed about a dozen 10 years back and has never reopened them.
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-17-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have done Cracker Barrel a couple times and find it to be quieter than the rest areas are. We always call first to verify its okay and where they want us, and have breakfast there the next morning.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    We have done Cracker Barrel a couple times and find it to be quieter than the rest areas are. We always call first to verify its okay and where they want us, and have breakfast there the next morning.
    We are hoping to stay at Cracker Barrel’s if possible. This way we can have dinner and than ask for permission to stay overnight. Starting our next morning off with breakfast before we pull out. Almost like harvest host.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast