User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Houston

We just purchased our first RV. It's a 2017 Reflection Model 303. Very happy with it and are eager to get out there. I am pondering generators as we intend to do some dry camping on occasion. Any recommendations regarding size? Seems the 50amp ONAN 5500 watt will not fit into the front compartment. The 3600 30Amp may fit, but I am wondering if 30amps is adequate. I know we couldn't run both AC units at he same time. So.... will a 3,000 running watts / 30 amp generator work well for our RV? What's your experience please.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. Congrats on the new camper. Being your first RV there is lots to learn.
    Some folks use 1 big generator like you are talking about others use 2 small ones. A 30 amp will only run one a/c and you might have some trouble running 1 a/c and the microwave , not sure though. These units are wired for 50 amp which is only really needed if you run 2 a/c's. Plenty of folks with generator knowledge that will add more help than this.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    We just purchased our first RV. It's a 2017 Reflection Model 303. Very happy with it and are eager to get out there. I am pondering generators as we intend to do some dry camping on occasion. Any recommendations regarding size? Seems the 50amp ONAN 5500 watt will not fit into the front compartment. The 3600 30Amp may fit, but I am wondering if 30amps is adequate. I know we couldn't run both AC units at he same time. So.... will a 3,000 running watts / 30 amp generator work well for our RV? What's your experience please.
    Welcome to the forum, Larryl. I don't have any experience related to your specific question, so I'll leave that to others to address.

I assume the trailer is used? I noted this is your first RV. If you want a few suggestions on things to check before your first road trip ask away. I think half of this forum owns a 303.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy,
    I have used our generator once so far for dry camp & we still couldn't use it during quiet hours.... You may want to jump the generator & get some solar power if you plan on camping where sound could be an issue. As for the generator we have a Honda EU3000IS, while it is a quiet one, it still isn't quiet....It is also VERY heavy, & we can't close the top of our TV top when we have it going with us. It did work for our AC in our last TT a Jayco Jayflight 22FB (30amp) did not try to use the microwave.... we used it to have some AC & charge devices for several hours each day. (would have loved to have ac at night!) - There has been lots of good info on Solar in this forum & wish I would have done that instead of the generator. Good Luck! Lorna

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hello from Houston

Speaking as someone with a large expensive RV solar setup, I can say solar is not the way to go if you need to run multiple roof air units... unless you’re willing to spend “a lot” of money.

I know people that can run all three roof air units all day and all night without ever running a generator. It is possible to do this, just expensive.

We’ve been dry camping since November in the desert, and can run everything in our rig without the generator, but since we follow the weather we rarely need air conditioning, so our setup is a bit more modest.

I guess my point is solar is awesome, but if your goal is to run your roof air without using a generator, it’s going to cost you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-13-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    Welcome to the forum and welcome from Austin, there are several of us here from Texas.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Speaking as someone with a large expensive RV solar setup, I can say solar is not the way to go if you need to run multiple roof air units... unless you’re willing to spend “a lot” of money.

I know people that can run all three roof air units all day and all night without ever running a generator. It is possible to do this, just expensive.

We’ve been dry camping since November in the desert, and can run everything in our rig without the generator, but since we follow the weather we rarely need air conditioning, so our setup is a bit more modest.

I guess my point is solar is awesome, but if your goal is to run your roof air without using a generator, it’s going to cost you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, that's weird...

I have apparently lost the ability to edit my own posts?
    Attica! Attica! Attica!

Anyway, to answer the OP's main question, I doubt a 3,000 or even 3,600-watt generator will run 2 roof air units at the same time.
    But I'm sure there's plenty of folks here that can tell you what size they use.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Well, that's weird...

I have apparently lost the ability to edit my own posts?
    Attica! Attica! Attica!
    I've seen the edit post limit on another forum, so assumed it has kicked in here now.
    Looks like I can edit mine here for a couple of days.

Other forum is like:
    There are limits on how long you can edit posts.
    The limits are set as we don't want someone to go back to older posts and either remove all their content, which would really damage a thread, or even worse, add bad content, spam and so on.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    There are limits on how long you can edit posts.
    The limits are set as we don't want someone to go back to older posts and either remove all their content, which would really damage a thread, or even worse, add bad content, spam and so on.
    Gene's statement is basically correct for this forum as well.
    If you have an older post that really needs to be edited for some reason, please contact a moderator.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS