User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    We just purchased a 290BH & a small part of the decision was based on the fact that it has the turning point pin box since we have a 6.75’ bed. During my research for a hitch I decided on the Blue Ox slider since it can be removed easily due to breaking it down into multiple pieces plus it’s supposed to ride great due to the internal springs. Now that I’ve put the deal together at the dealership & had them include the hitch as a part of the deal I finally read the fine print on the part# 7200 version that mounts on the ISR rails, it states that it can’t be used with any pin box that rotates. I saw the warning on the part# 6200 that mounts to a gooseball so I specifically went with the ISR version ASSUMING that it would be ok. To be sure I called Blue Ox & unfortunately it can not be used with the turning point. I neglected to ask them if it’s still safe to use as long as I keep the turning point feature locked out so I will have to call back tomorrow before I assume anything else.

I was pretty excited thinking that I could try to turning point vs using a slider to see which I prefer but now I’m not sure if I can keep the Blue Ox. So at this point I’m thinking I either have to make a decision to go with another hitch or if it’s still possible use the Blue Ox without the turning point feature. How many who purchase a 150 Series are using the turning point? I’m not sure where to go from here so any thoughts are appreciated.
    We use the turning point with it set to swivel, I have also used it in the locked position. There was no noticeable difference so we'll keep using in the swivel position. We have been using to over 2 years now and love it.

The hitch we use is a Curt A16, with a Curt Wedge
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta ask why?

Thanks to all, super encouraging to see actual users happy with the turning point. Unfortunately as much as I want to use the Blue Ox it looks like I’ll need a different hitch to use the turning point. Now I need to find something that works with a wedge that is light & easy to remove, the dealership is covering my hitch up to $2000.
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— —————————————
    Hello, Everyone

I’ve been running my GD 260RD with the turning point locked out, a Pull-rite automatic slider hitch, and the Lippert supplied wedge (properly adjusted and torqued) for a year. After 10,000 miles and dozens of connects/disconnects, everything works great. I’ve made a point of studying all aspects of this pinbox system, and don’t understand why any conventional hitch won’t work, properly configured?
    Just curious, I’ve owned businesses vehicle related, for many years - and consider the hitch the most critical aspect of 5th wheel RVing. Thanks in advance for your time.

Sorry - upon further review I see. The Blue Ox is a gooseneck design, not a conventional hitch.

So next question-what is the advantage/application for a gooseneck? I’ve always wondered?
    Gary
    Last edited by gbucklew; 10-21-2023 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Additional information added

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbucklew View Post
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— —————————————
    Hello, Everyone

I’ve been running my GD 260RD with the turning point locked out, a Pull-rite automatic slider hitch, and the Lippert supplied wedge (properly adjusted and torqued) for a year. After 10,000 miles and dozens of connects/disconnects, everything works great. I’ve made a point of studying all aspects of this pinbox system, and don’t understand why any conventional hitch won’t work, properly configured?
    Just curious, I’ve owned businesses vehicle related, for many years - and consider the hitch the most critical aspect of 5th wheel RVing. Thanks in advance for your time.

Sorry - upon further review I see. The Blue Ox is a gooseneck design, not a conventional hitch.

So next question-what is the advantage/application for a gooseneck? I’ve always wondered?
    Gary
    Gary,

This is a very old thread, so I'm not sure how many of the original participants are still around (the person you quoted hasn't been on the forum since May, 2021). That said, a true gooseneck setup is a bad idea for fifth wheel RVs. The frame on the front end of a fifth wheel RV is not designed nor built to handle the torque forces of a true gooseneck adapter. There are some more modern, dampened gooseneck-style systems (such as the Lippert Goose Box and Gen Y) that change this formula, though. In addition, I'm not sure the Turning Point can be switched out for anything else.

The reason many people go with a Goose Box, etc., is to regain their truck bed more easily when not towing (no fifth wheel hitch to remove).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 295RL for three seasons. One thing to keep in mind is that the Turning Point needs to checked and re-greased each season. Personally, I did not care for the Turning Point. No matter what I tried I could never get it to sit right in the hitch. It would slap back and forth in the hitch going around tighter curves like exit ramps. It was a bit unnerving to feel that clunk. I quickly made a decision to keep it in the "locked" position. As others have mentioned, didn't miss it. I seldom had a situation where I felt I needed that feature. Subsequently we made a decision to downsize to a smaller "tow behind".
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had the dealer order a B&W Companion for my Ford with the puck set up. Picking a hitch was almost as agonizing as picking a camper!
    Good choice. I changed to the B&W from a Reese hitch. It was a vast improvement. I have a Reese Airborne Sidewinder pinbox, (works similar to the turning point). Even though both pinbox and hitch were Reese products they were not good together. The single locking jaw design of the Reese hitch allowed the pin to move side to side even with the locking wedge installed as tightly as possible. This causes significant "clunking" from side to side when I changed from a left to a right curve or vice versa on the highway. (Major pucker factor) The B&W grips the pin tightly between two jaws and completely eliminates this problem.
    I also love the sidewinder/turning point feature. Others say you don't need it. That's true ... until you do. I towed with a short box for years with no problem until one day I had to turn around at a dead end road. I turned into the only available driveway and backed out onto the street in the opposite direction. It didn't feel like that tight a turn, but because the driveway sloped up from the street my trailer came closer to the cab than usual as I made the backing turn. Dented the cab which was an expensive repair. Even though I didn't damage the back glass it had to be replaced in order to repair the cab dent.
    I have two other friends who have had similar unfortunate experiences. No worries with my sidewinder pinbox. I can turn to a complete 90 degree angle even though my 310GK is wider than most 5ers.
    Tom and Jan
    Surrey BC Canada
    2017 Solitude 310GK, new to us Nov. 2020
    2021 F350

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared23 View Post
    Good choice. I changed to the B&W from a Reese hitch. It was a vast improvement. I have a Reese Airborne Sidewinder pinbox, (works similar to the turning point). Even though both pinbox and hitch were Reese products they were not good together. The single locking jaw design of the Reese hitch allowed the pin to move side to side even with the locking wedge installed as tightly as possible. This causes significant "clunking" from side to side when I changed from a left to a right curve or vice versa on the highway. (Major pucker factor) The B&W grips the pin tightly between two jaws and completely eliminates this problem.
    I also love the sidewinder/turning point feature. Others say you don't need it. That's true ... until you do. I towed with a short box for years with no problem until one day I had to turn around at a dead end road. I turned into the only available driveway and backed out onto the street in the opposite direction. It didn't feel like that tight a turn, but because the driveway sloped up from the street my trailer came closer to the cab than usual as I made the backing turn. Dented the cab which was an expensive repair. Even though I didn't damage the back glass it had to be replaced in order to repair the cab dent.
    I have two other friends who have had similar unfortunate experiences. No worries with my sidewinder pinbox. I can turn to a complete 90 degree angle even though my 310GK is wider than most 5ers.
    Wow, I could almost just quote your whole post as being mine, except the truck damage. I run the regular Sidewinder, and this season switched from the Reese hitch (M5), to the B&W Companion, so much better of a ride and a lot less noise. Lots of side to side on the Reese, and it was not unlatching easily. Reese did step up to the plate and replaced the head under warranty, but I still went with the B&W.

My driveway is approximately a 7* uphill from the road, and due to the road being small, I usually end up with about a 60* turn(ish) backing in. What people do not realize, is with the trailer going uphill, and your truck on level ground, the nose of the trailer comes down, the part that is not scalloped back. I wouldn't need the Sidewinder if I was on level ground all the time.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know where to ask this question, so I thought I would ask it here. Do the new 100 series have the Turning Point pin box? I watched some videos of the 22RK and it looks like it has a fixed pin box. Is GDRV getting away from the Turning Point hitch?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567