Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has owned a Lance

Lance Travel Trailer that is. If you have owned one I would like to hear about it, and how it compares to Grand Design. Not the Lance truck camper though, been there done that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I'm qualified to respond...

My own experience goes back nearly 10 years while still living in SoCal. A good neighbor friend shopping for a new Lance TT couldn't find the model desired, so I went online searching (this being before Google etc) and "found" that model shown at an LA area dealer which actually was still at the Lance factory in Lancaster just a few hours away. That friend arranged for him/us to go see that TT at the factory wherein Lance's then/current GM provided us a personally guided tour. In the end, he bought that TT while the model I really preferred was Lance's first ever dual axle slideout model 1685. Loved that but too wide for my narrow concrete pad along side house garage, so, ended up with Casita 17 as acceptable compromise.

Nearly 4 years later after moving from SoCal to central AZ, I bought my first Lance which not so ironically was very same 1685 model. That one was a chore to back into my backyard from a busy neighborhood street, so bought a Lance 1475 (their first non-slide single axle model) which I subsequently replaced with newer updated 2017.5 1685 last Spring (all of those being used from private party original owners). Used that last Fall as 2nd home in AZ's White Mtns during which concluded that (or any) Lance TT too small for my intended purpose as a 2nd home kept in same RV park full-time as an "apartment on wheels".

OK so now with not much desire to "travel" with "trailer", started searching for something larger for this season and beyond and ended up buying the (sig) 337RLS (again, used from private party original owner) as very same model my local friends own which will be moved to that White Mtns RV park when a site is available long term. I've been an active member on Lance Owners of America with same username, thus believe I have a good grasp on things related to Lance travel trailers. Ask questions here or PM me as preferred...
    Current RV: 2017 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Former RVs: 2017 Lance 1685, 2017 Lance 1475, 2011 Lance 1685, 2010 Casita 17SD

Tow vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 S-Cab FX4 6.2L MaxTow (obviously, not for current RV)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    I believe I'm qualified to respond...

My own experience goes back nearly 10 years while still living in SoCal. A good neighbor friend shopping for a new Lance TT couldn't find the model desired, so I went online searching (this being before Google etc) and "found" that model shown at an LA area dealer which actually was still at the Lance factory in Lancaster just a few hours away. That friend arranged for him/us to go see that TT at the factory wherein Lance's then/current GM provided us a personally guided tour. In the end, he bought that TT while the model I really preferred was Lance's first ever dual axle slideout model 1685. Loved that but too wide for my narrow concrete pad along side house garage, so, ended up with Casita 17 as acceptable compromise.

Nearly 4 years later after moving from SoCal to central AZ, I bought my first Lance which not so ironically was very same 1685 model. That one was a chore to back into my backyard from a busy neighborhood street, so bought a Lance 1475 (their first non-slide single axle model) which I subsequently replaced with newer updated 2017.5 1685 last Spring (all of those being used from private party original owners). Used that last Fall as 2nd home in AZ's White Mtns during which concluded that (or any) Lance TT too small for my intended purpose as a 2nd home kept in same RV park full-time as an "apartment on wheels".

OK so now with not much desire to "travel" with "trailer", started searching for something larger for this season and beyond and ended up buying the (sig) 337RLS (again, used from private party original owner) as very same model my local friends own which will be moved to that White Mtns RV park when a site is available long term. I've been an active member on Lance Owners of America with same username, thus believe I have a good grasp on things related to Lance travel trailers. Ask questions here or PM me as preferred...
    Thanks Dirt Dog, we are still on the fence between a Lance 2375 and the new Imagine 22RBE xls. It sounds like you were very happy with your Lance trailers and the only reason you switched to GD was the size? I see you live in cooler country but we live in Tucson where it gets plenty hot. Even though the goal is to get to cooler country when camping that is not always possible, and in summer it can get blistering hot almost anywhere so one major concern of ours is the insulation in the roof and the AC. The Lance does not have ducted AC and although they claim 4 seasons I don't believe the insulation is as good as the R-40 in the ceiling that GD claims on the Imagine.
    Last edited by bigb56; 03-15-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For clarification, I prefer a smaller RV if towed. The 1685 model I had (twice) was an ideal compromise for me with single slide for living area, storage and maneuverability. The single axle 1475 was even easier to handle, yet much smaller inside plus smaller capacity tanks. There is an older factory tour video on the Lance Camper website (won't link it here) that shows how they're built.

My home-base is in Payson whereas the Reflection 5'r will be kept in an RV park at the base of eastern AZ's White Mtns and used as 2nd home while I (with good friends and forum member Yattr0 and his DW) enjoy off-pavement exploration in jeeps and side-by-sides several times each week. At that location, no need to haul our dirt toys to staging points but instead, simply hit FS trail access points just a few blocks away. Said friends have owned their own Reflection 337RLS for a few years since new while I got "cabin fever" and "Reflection envy" in my smaller RV not equipped with comfortable recliners nor sat TV service. All that changes this season!

Tow vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 S-Cab FX4 6.2L MaxTow (obviously, not for current RV)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be nice to hear your comments and quality comparisons once you get the new rig, if you are inclined

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ The "new rig" is parked in my RV driveway until a suitable site opens at the RV park (see avatar image). In the meantime, I've been doing small projects but haven't slept in or used it in a normal way yet. My objective in responding was to answer any questions about my prior Lance TT units. I'm much less qualified than others here to compare at this point to any Grand Design models...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    ^^^ The "new rig" is parked in my RV driveway until a suitable site opens at the RV park (see avatar image). In the meantime, I've been doing small projects but haven't slept in or used it in a normal way yet. My objective in responding was to answer any questions about my prior Lance TT units. I'm much less qualified than others here to compare at this point to any Grand Design models...
    Fair enough, my only questions were really how good the thermal insulation really is in the Lance, and if the non ducted AC does a good enough job in the desert although I realize you don't camp in the desert, and your Lance trailers were smaller than the 2374 which means they probably would keep plenty cool. I am already convinced of the Lance build quality which does come at a higher price.