User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry camp power

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking out loud.... Wouldn't it be nice if you had a diesel generator that would plug into the aux tank in the back of your truck? My 8000 watt runs .25 gals per hour at idle and .50 gals per hour on half load. Couple cons would be weight and if the truck had to be at the RV to run the generator. The pro would be being able to run 75 to a hundred hours on a 50-gallon tank aux tank in the bed of your truck.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run a Champion 3500 watt generator as needed. Stored and run in the truck bed.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    We run a Champion 3500 watt generator as needed. Stored and run in the truck bed.
    Geoff

Have you had a chance to run it and load various stuff on AC, etc to see what it will do?

Thanks
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich T View Post
    Geoff

Have you had a chance to run it and load various stuff on AC, etc to see what it will do?

Thanks
    Rich
    Rich,
    Runs everything we need. I put and easy start on our 15k AC.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,
    Thanks, I was also thinking of the soft start for our main unit, I have the 15K also and a 13.5K in bedroom.

Rich
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,
    Geoff

One last question for you, do you happen to have the info on the soft start, model. brand or anything?

Thanks
    Rich
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich T View Post
    Geoff

One last question for you, do you happen to have the info on the soft start, model. brand or anything?

Thanks
    Rich
    Rich,

Here’s the one that has the best ratings. https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Rich,

Here’s the one that has the best ratings. https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

Jerry
    Thank you very much
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    Hi all. I am looking at dry camp power options for our 2017 303RLS. I'm thinking I can use the onboard 2-40lb LP tanks to run 2 30amp generators hooked up in series. Then attach 2-20lb LP tanks to the RV. Could also carry 2 additional 20lb tanks for spares. Then maybe add a cargo tray to the back hitch to carry the 2 100lb each generators. Probably add a cover for weather and lock down.
    I did something very similar to what you are proposing using my Honda EU2000 generators. You can see my solution here:https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...erator-Install

You cannot put that much weight on the cargo hitch, so you will need to do something like I did above to stabilize the platform. It says those hitches can carry 300 pounds, but there is no way I would trust it with two generators sitting on a cargo tray. The generators will apply too much moment on the hitch and it will sway back and forth and will eventually fail.

I tapped into the trailer propane system back by the grill hookup. You will also need to install additional propane regulators as the generators will not run on the trailers propane pressure. My fiver has 30lb propane bottles and I am able to get two or three days out of them. I usually run one tank at a time and swap over when one tank runs out and refill. That way the tanks are always rotating. I also carry a 20lb spare in the back of my truck which has saved us a time or two.

You also say you will connect the generators in "series". I think you mean parallel.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I did something very similar to what you are proposing using my Honda EU2000 generators. You can see my solution here:https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...erator-Install

You cannot put that much weight on the cargo hitch, so you will need to do something like I did above to stabilize the platform. It says those hitches can carry 300 pounds, but there is no way I would trust it with two generators sitting on a cargo tray. The generators will apply too much moment on the hitch and it will sway back and forth and will eventually fail.

I tapped into the trailer propane system back by the grill hookup. You will also need to install additional propane regulators as the generators will not run on the trailers propane pressure. My fiver has 30lb propane bottles and I am able to get two or three days out of them. I usually run one tank at a time and swap over when one tank runs out and refill. That way the tanks are always rotating. I also carry a 20lb spare in the back of my truck which has saved us a time or two.

You also say you will connect the generators in "series". I think you mean parallel.

DAN
    Nice job Dan, you thought of everything and made it very user friendly. They are not running wide open but I have been very surprised
    at how long my propane is lasting, I have been running a variety of power tools, 13 amp worm drive skill saw, compressor, table saw etc and am getting several days out of a small (7 lb ? grill size) bottle. Thanks for details.

Rich
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast