User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running propane generator from BBQ port

Is anyone running their propane powered generator using the BBQ supply port on their rig? Any reason why I shouldn't been able to? We haven't purchased a generator yet but looking at the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel.

Thanks!
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The propane BBQ port on the trailer will pass thru the regulator on the RV before going to the BBQ port. If the generator requires a low pressure regulator then this should work.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The propane BBQ port on the trailer will pass thru the regulator on the RV before going to the BBQ port. If the generator requires a low pressure regulator then this should work.

Brian
    So just like the Blackstone grill, the regulator that comes with the unit is not used in this scenario, right?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So just like the Blackstone grill, the regulator that comes with the unit is not used in this scenario, right?
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    If the generator requires a regulator and it comes with the generator you will not use it if you hook to BBQ port on the RV. If you use 2 regulators in the same line the pressure will be to low.
    On any propane device that is plugged into any port on a RV that comes from the on board regulator it does not need to have another regulator in line.

Brian

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering this as well. I found this thread that explains the process, but have not done it myself yet (do not yet own the generator).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/champ...em-344289.html
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed a couple of propane conversions on my home generators.
    Hope I don't mangle this explanation too much.

The generators will have a low pressure regulator and a demand regulator.
    Looking at the Champion 3100 dual fuel owners manual and images, it looks like the low pressure regulator is connected right onto the demand pressure regulator, then hose to the carb on the generator.
    The larger Champion's show to have the demand regulator mounted on the generator itself.

The low pressure regulator is for propane tank connections, reduces tank pressure to 11" water column.
    The demand regulator is the one that feeds propane/LP into the generator's carb.

Connecting the generator to a low pressure propane/LP line requires the demand regulator.
    The RV's regulators at the propane tanks are the low pressure regulator.
    I expect the RV's bbq QC has already had pressure lowered.
    This would be the same as connecting to your house's natural gas line say at the patio, it's already had it pressure reduced by the main house regulator.

If you connect the generator directly to a propane tank, you'll have 2 regulators.
    Low:
    http://www.propaneproducts.com/propa...ion-24-13.html
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro.../dp/B000BQUQEI

Demand:
    Garretson KN Demand Fuel Controller Regulator https://www.propanecarbs.com/garrets...regulator.html
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Looking at the Champion 3100 dual fuel owners manual and images, it looks like the low pressure regulator is connected right onto the demand pressure regulator, then hose to the carb on the generator.

If you connect the generator directly to a propane tank, you'll have 2 regulators.
    Wow--great post, Gene (as usual). I now realize it is important to understand the regulator setup on the generator I purchase.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this on my Reflection. I converted my Honda EU2000's to propane using the Hutch Mountain Propane Conversion kit. I then tapped into the fiver propane system back where the grill hooks up. I installed the necessary propane regulators behind the skirts of the trailer. It is all hard wired, I never have to connect or disconnect either propane or the electrical connection. I summarized my setup here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...erator-Install

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just completed the Champion dual-fuel hookup. It is true that the Champion generators will work on our BBQ outlet, but it floods the propane carburetor. The pressure is right, the flow is too much.

I found on some other forums that the propane thing that Champion sends is actually 2 components. It has the connector for a propane tank, then it has a pressure regulator. That is as we would expect to run on a tank... but then it has this 4x size thing, that is the flow regulator.

What I did was to unscrew the common pressure regulator from the flow part. I ordered a quick connect from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o01_s00

Then I went down to ACE Hardware store and got an adapter from the brass parts area (I don't have a number for that, just take the 2 parts with you and test what you find, about $5).

Here is the other forum where I found the information. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/cham...em-344289.html

Now, I can use the same hose on my FlameKing grill and on my Champion generator (one at a time).
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS