User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    You know Rob as usual you are correct. Each person must evaluate their own needs and budget. And yes the maintenance on diesel's cost more. So what I should have said is that I will never buy another gas engine.
    Agreed, but I too am one that will never go back to a gasser for towing.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    You know Rob as usual you are correct. Each person must evaluate their own needs and budget. And yes the maintenance on diesel's cost more. So what I should have said is that I will never buy another gas engine.
    And Dallas . . . if I were towing a Momentum like yours, I would make exactly the same TV choice that you have

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Until you run into all the diesel emission control system issues. DPF regen (and inevitable costly replacement). DEF tank, pump, freeze/thaw durability. And so on. Once every 5000 miles or so, I encounter a grade where I wish I had a diesel. Otherwise, I am pleased with my decision to stay with a gasoline engine. Many different perspectives on this .

Rob
    I once said I would never own a DPF equipped diesel but I went and bought a VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, one of the Dieselgate buyback cars, first generation EA288 2.0 liter with SCR. I love that car, drives like a sports car and mileage is triple what my Powerstroke gets. The SCR technology is amazing and I don't even understand why they though they had to cheat at least on on the EA288. That said the regens are a PITA but I put up with it because the tradeoff is huge for me. They say you don't have to pay attention but I don't like shutting down with EGTs over 1,000 degrees so I monitor it and keep driving if it's in regen, even though the entire clean air system has a 162,000 mile 11 year warranty.
    As far as my tow vehicle I will keep my 2002 F-350 7.3 as long as I can, it doesn't even have an EGR valve! Plenty comfortable enough for me and no problem towing although not the torque of the 6.7. At 175K it still feels like a new truck to me, and living in the desert it still looks new. If anything ever happens to that truck it will be a tough decision what to replace her with.
    Last edited by bigb56; 03-21-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Nick,

If you move up to a diesel, bypass the 3/4-ton and go straight for a 1-ton SRW. The diesel powertrain is much heavier and a 3/4-ton diesel can come in with significantly less available payload than the same truck with a gas motor. The cost difference between a 3/4-ton and a 1-ton isn't what will get you... it's the cost of the diesel motor.

Rob

I second this opinion to go one ton. As far as leftover holes or towing equipment on your trade that should be no problem. As pointed out before these trucks are built for towing. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traded my 17 3/4 gas for an 18 diesel 1 ton SRW. The 3/4 had a huge hole where the B&W companion was, not even a second look from the dealer on trade still gave me more than I expected. Oh yeah, if you aren't a do it yourselfer, 109 for an oil change (Def and all topped off), 136 for a fuel filter change. I am glad I have one more free one left. BUT - never going back to Gasoline for a tugger. Better gas mileage, stupid power and I like the way she sounds when I give her a little lovin... My companion uninstall and reinstall was 200.00. Worth the swap.
    JD
    :boink:
    2019 367BHS
    2018 3500 Silverado SRW Diesel
    B&W turnover with Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll throw my worthless 2 cents in since I used to tow a fiver with a Chevy 8.1 gas and now with a Ram 6.7 SRW. To me, the debate between the two engine choices should include how much towing one is plannng on doing. For the occasional RV’er, the added upfront upcharge for the diesel in addition to the higher fuel and maintenance costs don’t justify the ends. For a full or semi-full timer, then the diesel is the better choice.
    I’m very interested to see this upcoming new Ford 7.3 gas offering. Scuttlebut says it could be a gamechanger in the diesel vs. gas wars.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed with a 3/4 ton gasser, then went to a 3/4 ton diesel - virtually the same truck, they were only a year apart. A WORLD of difference towing - I don't think I'll ever tow with a gasser again. When we knew we were going after a fiver, I upgraded to a 1 ton diesel dually. No regrets at all. Actually, the dually rides better than the 3/4 tons did. As it's already been said, these diesels (the big 3) are pulling beasts.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12