Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

290BH second A/C

Has anyone installed a second A/C unit on a 290BH? I would like to but I have a few concerns. It is wired for a second one so no issue there. It came with a Airxcel unit so I'll stick with that brand. I'd like to do it myself because I'm that kinda guy, I just want as much info as I can get before I start.
    Does it have to be a low profile model?
    Would the second one be ducted in with the main unit?
    Is a 13.5 big enough?
    Will I need to 'shim' it so it sits level on the roof?
    Do I need the second thermostat or can I get a unit with the controls right on it?
    I went to my dealer & the person I talked to was kinda fuzzy on the details.
    Thanks for the help! Can wait to get out again, it was a crappy winter here in Wisconsin.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBob View Post
    Has anyone installed a second A/C unit on a 290BH? I would like to but I have a few concerns. It is wired for a second one so no issue there. It came with a Airxcel unit so I'll stick with that brand. I'd like to do it myself because I'm that kinda guy, I just want as much info as I can get before I start.
    Does it have to be a low profile model?
    Would the second one be ducted in with the main unit?
    Is a 13.5 big enough?
    Will I need to 'shim' it so it sits level on the roof?
    Do I need the second thermostat or can I get a unit with the controls right on it?
    I went to my dealer & the person I talked to was kinda fuzzy on the details.
    Thanks for the help! Can wait to get out again, it was a crappy winter here in Wisconsin.
    I just did this on my 28bh, so assuming it is prepped the same way I will try to help.

No it does not have to be, but it will become the highest point on your roof. If you are okay with the new height then do not worry about it. We wanted to keep the height down, so went with the low profile Mach 8 Plus.
    Yes
    I went with another 15k because the cost was not much more and I figured if my main unit died it would do better at carrying me until I got it fixed.
    Yes I had to do so.
    My understanding (and my experience) was you need a thermostat if you want it tied to the ducting. You need to buy the AC unit, a ceiling fixture, and thermostat (for ducted). The ducted ceiling fixtures do not have the controls on them and instead include the control board for the thermostat. I went with the chillgrille and the digital thermostat and was happy with it.

You did not ask, but I also got the heat pump model and the electric heat element. I am in northern Illinois and thought it would be nice to have some additional heat that does not run on propane. When you select your ceiling fixture you need to choose whether it has heat or not, so keep that in mind. I did research with both Coleman (Airxcel) directly and the place I bought the equipment before buying.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but I am really happy so far (admittedly have not camped with it yet).
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    I just did this on my 28bh, so assuming it is prepped the same way I will try to help.

No it does not have to be, but it will become the highest point on your roof. If you are okay with the new height then do not worry about it. We wanted to keep the height down, so went with the low profile Mach 8 Plus.
    Yes
    I went with another 15k because the cost was not much more and I figured if my main unit died it would do better at carrying me until I got it fixed.
    Yes I had to do so.
    My understanding (and my experience) was you need a thermostat if you want it tied to the ducting. You need to buy the AC unit, a ceiling fixture, and thermostat (for ducted). The ducted ceiling fixtures do not have the controls on them and instead include the control board for the thermostat. I went with the chillgrille and the digital thermostat and was happy with it.

You did not ask, but I also got the heat pump model and the electric heat element. I am in northern Illinois and thought it would be nice to have some additional heat that does not run on propane. When you select your ceiling fixture you need to choose whether it has heat or not, so keep that in mind. I did research with both Coleman (Airxcel) directly and the place I bought the equipment before buying.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but I am really happy so far (admittedly have not camped with it yet).
    Thanks a bunch for the reply ncitro! That was very helpful! I did as much research as I could & was starting to feel like I was the only one who wanted to do this. I do have a few more questions but I need to check out a few things first. If I ever see you out camping, I owe you a cold one already!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, let me know. I would say it was not difficult, but took some time to figure out where the control box gets mounted inside. The instructions were not the best, definitely aimed at professionals who had done it before. Also while the ducting is all in place it needed to be sealed up with HVAC tape, and I also sealed up the foreword and aft facing “attic” spaces as well.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, let me know. I would say it was not difficult, but took some time to figure out where the control box gets mounted inside. The instructions were not the best, definitely aimed at professionals who had done it before. Also while the ducting is all in place it needed to be sealed up with HVAC tape, and I also sealed up the foreword and aft facing “attic” spaces as well.
    I'm looking at a Mach 15 unit 08-0054 for $735 all prices are from Amazon
    Ceiling fixture 84306321 chill grill $95.88
    Airxcel control package 8330752 &58.50
    Do I need a gasket kit or temp sensor?
    Did you have to shim yours because of the roof line to make it level?
    Again, thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBob View Post
    I'm looking at a Mach 15 unit 08-0054 for $735 all prices are from Amazon
    Ceiling fixture 84306321 chill grill $95.88
    Airxcel control package 8330752 &58.50
    Do I need a gasket kit or temp sensor?
    Did you have to shim yours because of the roof line to make it level?
    Again, thanks for the help!
    I went with the Mach 8 to save some height, but thats a choice.
    I got this grille, but with the heat option. The one you have should be good for the AC you selected. Mine included the control box, but I see that does not so you will need the one you have linked below.
    This looks correct, but mine was included in the grille so I am not positive.
    No gasket or temp sensor were needed for my install. The gasket came preinstalled on the AC, and my grille included the control box and temp sensor.
    Yes I made shims out of an old rubber boat bumper to support the back half. About 3/4" as I recall.
    You will also need a thermostat. I purchased the digital one because it was cheaper than the analog for some reason. I think yours would be: 9430-3402 but verify that. Mine had heat as well for the heat pump and electric heat.

I got everything from RVUPRGRADE store and was really happy with them. They were knowledgeable about the product and answered my emails regarding which parts I needed. My first unit was damaged by the carrier (had to come by freight company) and they sent me out a new unit before they even picked up the damaged one at no charge. I got it the next day (may be a function of geography more than how they shipped it but still). That kind of response was worth the additional cost to me.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes
    Yes I had to do so.

You said you went with the heat pump model, do you need the heat element with that? My understanding is, if it's a heat pump, the valve reverses everything & pumps heat in instead of out. I thought the heat element was for 'heat ready' units that are not heat pumps.
    I was also wondering how yours sealed up to the roof if you shimmed it 3/4 of an inch.
    Thanks again for the help!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat pump will only run above certain temperatures. I added the electric so that would run when the heat pump would not. It does not put much out, but was not much money so I figured sure why not.

The shimming was because the roof curved away from the opening. The rear feet of the unit needed something between them and the roof because the distance was greater than it was in the front. This didn't affect the seal around the opening, do no issue there.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat pump will only run above certain temperatures. I added the electric so that would run when the heat pump would not. It does not put much out, but was not much money so I figured sure why not.

The shimming was because the roof curved away from the opening. The rear feet of the unit needed something between them and the roof because the distance was greater than it was in the front. This didn't affect the seal around the opening, do no issue there.
    So your 2nd unit is mounted with the nose down I assume(was it mounted in the front bedroom?). According to Coleman the nose of the A/C unit can't be pointed down, not sure why. If I mounted mine right to the roof it would be pointed about 4 degrees down. Probably the same with yours. Probably not enough to make a difference, but there must be some reason they state that in the directions.
    Is your 2nd thermostat connected to the furnace, sounds like if the heat pump(I got the heat pump too) isn't heating enough or whatever, then the furnace kicks on. But there is no thermostat wire that goes to the furnace. I thought about moving the original A/C to the bedroom & putting the heat pump in the main area because there is for sure a wire to the furnace there because thats how we turn it on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is slightly nose down, but does not seem to be an issue. I thought I read it could no more than some amount nose down and I was less than that but I forget. Yes it’s in the bedroom. No connection to my furnace, it just does it’s own thing. Was in Port Huron last weekend, down to the low 40s and just ran it and the fireplace and keep the rig comfy with no issue.

I too thought about swapping it with the main unit, but decided it was too much work. I do think the heat pump would work better in the middle of the rig. I think it would heat the bunkhouse better, less time for the air in the ducts to cool down.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast