Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM Rear Auto Leveling Suspension

Good Afternoon-

I know this has been discussed before and I have read all of the post and searched the internet but still a bit confused on the proper way to setup the rig and trailer with the RAM rear auto leveling suspension and Equilizer weight distribution hitch w/4 point sway control.

Just bought my 1st weight distribution system the Equalizer with 4 point sway never needed one before always just hooked up and took off the truck controlled the weight and never felt a need for WD. Now that I dropped $650 for the Equilizer WD hitch, 2 1/2 Shank I need to try and figure out how to correctly adjust the weight distribution with the rear auto leveling suspension on the truck. Every time I hook up the truck it wants to auto level so not sure if I am correctly setting the weight distribution.

If I take my measurements with the auto leveling off and the truck off then connect the trailer and WD hitch the truck auto levels once I start the truck. If I leave auto leveling on and hook up the trailer it auto levels once the weight is applied.

I have really enjoyed the rear auto leveling and want to continue using it just not sure of the correct way to take the measurements and ensure I am distributing the weight correctly.

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks

Brian
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, try asking your question on Ramforumz.com. It's a Ram only forum with a separate section for 2500/3500 models.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is a way to disable the auto level function, do it.

Then adjust your Equalizer to get desired ride height.

The auto level should be used as a back up to the hitch. You want the Equalizer to do the work.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think mine will adjust the ride height unless the truck is running or the key is in the on/run position. Have you tried turning off the truck before you apply the weight of the trailer?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mraplx; 03-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure which system you have 2500/3500 rear suspension only... 1500 has 4 corner air like a semi. The 1500 you have to put it into tire jack mode so the suspension is off and locked prior to hooking up.

Don't forget to do your front wheel well measurement before putting trailer on ball. Hook up and install your bars. After that turn it back on and hit tow/haul. Drive away and enjoy the ride.

If you can't dodge it... Ram it
    If you cant dodge it, RAM it.:jaw:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    I went out and messed with my 2015 3500 dually and I wasn't able to turn off the auto leveling. I have a manual switch for the ride height adjustment along with the screen entry. When I try to turn the switch on it says not enough payload on the dash screen (the truck is empty and no trailer attached). I think once you attach the trailer that function would work but I'm not sure of how you would use it. Perhaps lower the truck for ease of hitching then raise it up?

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate all of the responses. Once the ground thaws out and I can get the trailer on some level ground I will try the different options and pull the trailer after each one the post my findings
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going by how I've watched the Rear Auto Level act when hitching up the 5th wheel.
    As I understand the system, it's uses the position levers mounted from the frame to the springs to maintain normal or alternate trailer height depending on the load in the back of the truck.

If I had a TT, I'd probably try setting up by turning on the truck, set trailer weight on the hitch, set to air level to normal height or alternate trailer height that you'd normally tow with, let the truck auto level.

Leave truck running, set the Tire Jack mode so it won't auto level, remove trailer weight from hitch, take measurements, put trailer weight back on hitch and make WD hitch adjustments.
    Turn off Tire Jack mode.
    Then some testing of the setup as Howard did https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...g-My-Rig/page4
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank