User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    ".... I usually carry about 20 gals fresh water (more fresh water = less pin weight), empty grey tanks (more water = heavier pin) and about 3~5 gallons in the black tank (more water = heavier pin)...." Chris
    Chris, Can you please explain a bit more about 'the more fresh water, the less pin weight'? I'm guess from this statement that the fresh water tank is behind the axels? Thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Chris, Can you please explain a bit more about 'the more fresh water, the less pin weight'? I'm guess from this statement that the fresh water tank is behind the axels? Thanks.
    Correct. On the Solitude 310GK (at least on mine), the fresh water tank is behind the axles. You can see the fresh water dump outlet well behind the street side rear tire. So more water, being heavier and behind the axles will take weight off the pin. The kitchen grey tank is right in front of the axles. The black and bathroom grey tanks are side by side and in front of the kitchen grey tank so as they have more water they will add more weight to the pin.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not count on the fresh water tank being behind the axels. Although the dump valve is behind the axels the fresh tank and the kitchen grey tank will be over the axel. These will add pin weight when used , albeit a small amount compared to the front black and grey tanks.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of makes me wish we all had a diagram of exactly what GD is doing under the floor. And a set of scales for a day for lots of testing.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I would not count on the fresh water tank being behind the axels. Although the dump valve is behind the axels the fresh tank and the kitchen grey tank will be over the axel. These will add pin weight when used , albeit a small amount compared to the front black and grey tanks.

Brian

OP was asking about Solitude 310GK. On our trailer, the fresh water tank is completely behind the rear axle. The front of the tank is roughly even with the rear of the rear tires. The kitchen gray tank is completely in front of the front edge of the front tires. Both of these tanks are mounted side-to-side. The black and bathroom grey tanks are mounted fore and aft. None of the tanks on the 310GK are mounted above the axles. I looked at this very closely in the factory when the trailer was build (great factory tour - but that is another thread).

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    The answer is, it depends to some extent on what you have (gen set, washer, dryer, dual pane windows, full or empty water tanks, etc.) and how you load it.

On our 310GK, I average about 2850# pin weight. Lowest was 2820# and highest was 2934# pin weight. Trailer (not axle) weights between 13,300 and 14,040#. Pin weight of 20 to 22%. Measured 6 times last year. (first year with trailer). Weights were with 1 stock battery 30~60# propane. Our 310GK has the queen bed and basically no options (no gen set, solar, etc.). We pack fairly heavy on food and light on clothing and "stuff" (tools, etc.) for 4~5 week long trips. I usually carry about 20 gals fresh water (more fresh water = less pin weight), empty grey tanks (more water = heavier pin) and about 3~5 gallons in the black tank (more water = heavier pin). I pull this with a 2017 F-350 SRW (see sig) and a payload rating (yellow sticker) of 3,253#. I am right at my weight limit with about 800# in the truck (2 adults, tools, hitch, tonneau cover, cooler). The truck pulls find and I am comfortable in the Colorado Rockies (steep hills, sharp turns and WIND), but would not want any more weight on the truck.

For more details on MY weights, see https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...285#post160285 Using the search function (box above the "advance search " buttom near the top right of each page) type in "310GK weight" and you will get some additional threads.

Good luck. We really love our 310GK. Love the finish, pulls great and large enough living area but small enough I have gotten it into every camp site we have wanted (but sometimes it is tight - like older Oregon coast state campgrounds ).

Chris
    Chris,
    Great info and overall great info from the forum about towing. I’m not new to towing heavy loads (grew up in CO and used to haul firewood out of the mountains back when people had wood burning stoves), but the 310 GK is the first fifth wheel.
    We upgraded last year to the 310 from our Imagine 28BH.
    I’ve had the 310 out twice pulling it with a ‘16 Ram 2500 Diesel. I love my truck, 3:73 axle with the Cummins has a tow rating of 17.3k. Hooked up, my truck barely notices the load and I thought I might be a little over the GVW. Thought I’d be good until I started the research and went to the scales.
    My truck has a few options that make it a little more capable than a regular 2500. It has a rear GAWR of 7500 and a front GAWR of 7000. On the scales with a regular camping loadout I’m below both limits. 6120 on the rear and 4100 on the front. However, GVW came in at 11,060. As we all know a truck with a 2500, or 250 badge can only have a 10k GVW by law. So, I’m over.
    Thanks to everyone on here for the good info. Now actively seeking to up-gauge my truck and get a 3500. Think I’ll go big early and get the new Ram with DRW’s and never worry about it again. I’m comfortable towing it with my truck, but I live by the rule if there’s doubt, there’s no doubt- it’s time to get a beefier truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted correct my last post- my truck GAWR’s are 6500 rear and 6000 front. Numbers are starting to run together now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris is right. Was under (coroplast down) my unit last month and the fresh tank is about 24 inches aft of second axle. Yes a full tank of fresh water will take some weight off the pin, but not as much as you would think. The lever (arm) is to short, but water in the waste tanks will really run the pin weight up
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Chris is right. Was under (coroplast down) my unit last month and the fresh tank is about 24 inches aft of second axle. Yes a full tank of fresh water will take some weight off the pin, but not as much as you would think. The lever (arm) is to short, but water in the waste tanks will really run the pin weight up
    Yep, and the "lever effect" doesn't work as well when there is a suspension that gives at the pivoting point(s).
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to give a first hand account of how much of an effect fresh water has on a 310GK. Last January I needed to make a quick trip to CA from Wyoming. It was COLD! I always leave home with a full tank of fresh water and I always run across a WYDOT scale that is very easy to use and has a large digital readout that I can see from the driver's seat to weigh my axles. My wife told me when we left that we were leaking water, I told her that it was just coming out of the over flow. I was wrong, there was some ice in the drain valve for the fresh water tank that kept the valve from fully closing. What really got my attention was my rear axle weight! I typically have 7000 lbs on my rear axle full of fuel, extra 60 gallons in the bed, and 5500 watt onan quiet diesel also in the bed of the truck, but this time I was at 7500+. Later in the day I found out I had zero fresh water and that was the cause of the increase in pin/rear axle weight. So it does have a pretty big effect.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12