User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyear Marathon comes apart

I spent the day today helping a friend to get new tires on his horse trailer after a 3.5 year old Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 E-Rated Tire blew. It tore up the fender on the trailer.

We took our Reflection to meet and camp out with several friends in North Florida for the weekend.

He was towing his horse trailer with his Winnebago motorhome diesel bus.

He lost his confidence in Goodyear tires and E-Rated tires. I towed his trailer with the spare mounted 50 miles to a tire dealer to put G-Rated tires on it.

This is what the tire looked like. He had his 2 horses on board when it blew. He didn’t have a jack or any tools to remove the tire. I was already at the horse ranch, about 50 miles from him and I offered to drive over with my Jack, Andersen Roll on Ramps, Makita Impact and torque wrench.

Fortunately 2 kind Florida State Employees at the Florida Agricultural Inspection station https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Bus...ction-Stations jacked up the trailer and changed the tire for him. Now that’s Service.

Here’s the tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D61E264F-200A-47B0-9D7A-71AE29C531FD.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 03-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Goodyear Marathon tires were just another inexpensive (cheap) Chinese tire with a horrid reputation. The Goodyear Endurance tire is manufactured in the USA, a d so far is demonstrating a good record.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    The Goodyear Marathon tires were just another inexpensive (cheap) Chinese tire with a horrid reputation. The Goodyear Endurance tire is manufactured in the USA, a d so far is demonstrating a good record.

Jim
    Yep.
    Completely different tires.
    The Endurance is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I spent the day today helping a friend to get new tires on his horse trailer after a 3.5 year old Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 E-Rated Tire blew. It tore up the fender on the trailer.

We took our Reflection to meet and camp out with several friends in North Florida for the weekend.

He was towing his horse trailer with his Winnebago motorhome diesel bus.

He lost his confidence in Goodyear tires and E-Rated tires. I towed his trailer with the spare mounted 50 miles to a tire dealer to put G-Rated tires on it.

This is what the tire looked like. He had his 2 horses on board when it blew. He didn’t have a jack or any tools to remove the tire. I was already at the horse ranch, about 50 miles from him and I offered to drive over with my Jack, Andersen Roll on Ramps, Makita Impact and torque wrench.

Fortunately 2 kind Florida State Employees at the Florida Agricultural Inspection station https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Bus...ction-Stations jacked up the trailer and changed the tire for him. Now that’s Service.

Here’s the tire.
    Was a TPMS system used? At least this tire kept most of its tread attached where for a failure it looks better than the Westlakes I've seen that have failed.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering why a tire that's made in the USA is suppose to be so much superior? I think any tire built to the same specs & ply rating coming from other countries would be just as good.
    After all does any one remember Firestone tires flying apart on Ford Explores a few years back? Weren't they made in the good old USA? When we were running Mitchelin tires on 627 Scrapers some of the tires came from Canada, others we bought came from Spain. Made no difference in the end. As they were all out standing tires. A few years back, my 97 Holiday Rambler had Goodyear tires, don't remember the name on them, one exploded going down the road & blew the tire well apart. So you just never know. That's just my 2 cents worth.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Just wondering why a tire that's made in the USA is suppose to be so much superior? I think any tire built to the same specs & ply rating coming from other countries would be just as good.
    After all does any one remember Firestone tires flying apart on Ford Explores a few years back? Weren't they made in the good old USA? When we were running Mitchelin tires on 627 Scrapers some of the tires came from Canada, others we bought came from Spain. Made no difference in the end. As they were all out standing tires. A few years back, my 97 Holiday Rambler had Goodyear tires, don't remember the name on them, one exploded going down the road & blew the tire well apart. So you just never know. That's just my 2 cents worth.
    Any tire can fail. Underinflated, overloaded, road hazard, no monitoring via TPMS and more. A little history on the Firestone tire issue. These tires were the same in name as on other manufacturers products but only on the Fords did they have issues. This was because Ford had spec'd them to just barely meet the federal mandate and under normal inflation. Once this tire was ran underinflated, they came apart. While this was a travesty, it ultimately lead to all cars today having TPMS and its even more important to have TPMS on trailers as well.
    A quality product can be built anywhere but I will always do my best to support American workers. Goodyear Endurance tire is the latest development in trailer tire technology so its a win win in this case. US engineered and made. To your point, I use Michelin on my TV where I believe those to be the best for that application. My Michelins are at least made in the US, so again supporting US workers.
    When I see the Westlakes completely shedding their treads and still remaining fully inflated, I think yeah I will stay away from China tires.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 03-16-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Any tire can fail. Underinflated, overloaded, road hazard, no monitoring via TPMS and more. A little history on the Firestone tire issue. These tires were the same in name as on other manufacturers products but only on the Fords did they have issues. This was because Ford had spec'd them to just barely meet the federal mandate and under normal inflation. Once this tire was ran underinflated, they came apart. While this was a travesty, it ultimately lead to all cars today having TPMS and its even more important to have TPMS on trailers as well.
    A quality product can be built anywhere but I will always do my best to support American workers. Goodyear Endurance tire is the latest development in trailer tire technology so its a win win in this case. To your point, I use Michelin on my TV where I believe those to be the best for that application.
    Mitchelin are the best tires all around. I have had on pickups, Lincoln Aviator and as I said on heavy equipment. Including road graders. They also seem to keep proper air pressure the best.
    As you said, under inflation is the biggest enemy of trailer tires makes you wonder if the air pressure had been checked since the tires had been on the trailer. Or even in the last few months.
    As far as the Westlakes they are on my new GD. I guess that I will be finding out. And I hope that the good old USA work force building these USA tires gives a ******** a lot more than the good old USA work force building these GD's. Just saying.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Mitchelin are the best tires all around. I have had on pickups, Lincoln Aviator and as I said on heavy equipment. Including road graders. They also seem to keep proper air pressure the best.
    As you said, under inflation is the biggest enemy of trailer tires makes you wonder if the air pressure had been checked since the tires had been on the trailer. Or even in the last few months.
    As far as the Westlakes they are on my new GD. I guess that I will be finding out. And I hope that the good old USA work force building these USA tires gives a ******** a lot more than the good old USA work force building these GD's. Just saying.
    Russ,
    The Westlakes on your GD are sourced from China. At a minimum, you should have a TPMS system on board. Its sad to state that Jayco (not known for the best quality) is bragging up selling RVs with US made Goodyear Endurance tires. I wish GDRV would pay attention to what folks want out there and raise the bar on the entire chassis in addition to the tires.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of the time that happens because the tire lost air. You’ll never know a trailer tire has gone flat until it starts to fall apart. TPMS is the only way to go.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Goodyear Marathon comes apart

Personally, if a Korean company came out with a better tire for a competitive price I’d buy them. I buy the best I can afford of any product, regardless of country of manufacture.

I had no idea where my Goodyears were made, just that my research showed they were the best tires for my trailer.

Also, the vast majority of tire failures I’ve seen here on this forum and online happened so quickly they couldn’t have been prevented or detected using a TPMS.

Plus, I’ve had one flat tire in 33 years of driving, so my view may be skewed.

So I just check my tire pressure prior to every departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-16-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast