User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    As Howard mentioned I had a hard time with the hydraulic crimpers and found this one very easy to use and provided a solid crimp. It is similar to a hammer crimp but has an adjustment for the wire size. Because of this I think it would be more consistent on the crimps vs a hammer crimp. Here is a link on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Lug-Cri...ateway&sr=8-14

Also, another suggestion is to buy more lugs than you think you need for each size. They are not that expensive and easy to buy on Amazon. I ended up for various reasons having to make some extra cables and running around town trying to find lugs is not the easiest.
    Hi Damon,

I have been making battery cables for 20 years with essentially an earlier version of the crimper in your Amazon link, per the attachment in my link referenced in post 5. This is the 'right tool for the job" and costs $55. For anybody who want to do this right . . . just spend the $55 . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Damon,

I have been making battery cables for 20 years with essentially an earlier version of the crimper in your Amazon link, per the attachment in my link referenced in post 5. This is the 'right tool for the job" and costs $55. For anybody who want to do this right . . . just spend the $55 . . .

Rob

I found them directly from temcoindustrial.com for $51 w/free FedEx. They also have a very good selection of ring terminals at reasonable cost also with free shipping!

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Completely agree - it’s a small price to pay for a perfectly crimped cable. I have been making cables as needed for years with my crimper and welding cable. Like many specialty tools in my shop, it doesn’t get used a lot but it’s invaluable when you need it.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper on two camper projects now with good success. https://www.harborfreight.com/hydrau...ool-66150.html The dies on it run small, so start a size or two larger than you're expected to need and then go smaller if needed.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's my first test, using the pound on crimper in a bench vise. Did put a piece of pipe on the vise handle, so I could really squeeze it down. Usable, or do I go buy the "real" crimper discussed above?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3446.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	18596

Name:	IMG_3447.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	18597
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. I recommend heat shrink tubing (the kind with the glue inside) over the place where the cable meets the lug.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Here's my first test, using the pound on crimper in a bench vise. Did put a piece of pipe on the vise handle, so I could really squeeze it down. Usable, or do I go buy the "real" crimper discussed above?

Name:	IMG_3446.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	18596

Name:	IMG_3447.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	18597
    The crimp looks good... since you’re using a vice, it’s almost like using the crimper. As long as you inspect each crimp to make sure it’s good. I think the big question is how many are you doing? The vice method works but might be a PITA if doing several crimps. Heat shrink is always a good idea regardless of how the crimp is made. I purchased the crimpers in my post above and carry the hammer style with me incase I should have to make/repair a cable while on the road.

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim & Deb View Post
    The crimp looks good... since you’re using a vice, it’s almost like using the crimper. As long as you inspect each crimp to make sure it’s good. I think the big question is how many are you doing? The vice method works but might be a PITA if doing several crimps. Heat shrink is always a good idea regardless of how the crimp is made. I purchased the crimpers in my post above and carry the hammer style with me incase I should have to make/repair a cable while on the road.

Jim
    Since the total was only 6, the goal was to keep costs down. If I was doing something like a solar install, I'd buy a better tool without question!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for this thread. It was very timely. I was installing another battery today, and I replaced all the 6 AWG wires with 2/0. I'm very happy with how it came out.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12