Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pin box

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin box

I'm debating on new vs used Reflection 29rs fifth wheel. I've never owned a fifth wheel and have questions about the king pin. If I have something like a Anderson hitch, can I not pull right up to the lot and drive off with a new trailer with existing pin? I see a lot of after market ads for the MOryde pin box, etc. Are these required?

2nd question. I am looking at a very nice used fifth wheel but they added the Reese sidewinder king pin. Is that particular kingpin even compatible with a goose connection such as the Anderson? I don't want to have to use a very heavy hitch just to be able to use the upgraded sidewinder pin on the used one.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
    I'm debating on new vs used Reflection 29rs fifth wheel. I've never owned a fifth wheel and have questions about the king pin. If I have something like a Anderson hitch, can I not pull right up to the lot and drive off with a new trailer with existing pin? I see a lot of after market ads for the MOryde pin box, etc. Are these required?

2nd question. I am looking at a very nice used fifth wheel but they added the Reese sidewinder king pin. Is that particular kingpin even compatible with a goose connection such as the Anderson? I don't want to have to use a very heavy hitch just to be able to use the upgraded sidewinder pin on the used one.

Thanks
    The 3 5th wheels that I have owned, I always use the standard original pin box with the Reese 16k slider hitch without problems... ever. (Knocks on wood). So answer to your #1 I believe is yes. #2 I have no idea.
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcard View Post

Thanks
    The Anderson hitch, being a goose ball hitch , you will need the adaptor for on the fifth wheel king pin, so yes with the adaptor you could hook up to any fifth wheel and take it home.

The Reese sidewinder I believe is not compatible with the Anderson or any other goose ball conversion, if doing this it would allow for 2 turning points, not ideal.

If possible have the dealer replace the sidewinder with a standard king pin box.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The Anderson hitch, being a goose ball hitch , you will need the adaptor for on the fifth wheel king pin, so yes with the adaptor you could hook up to any fifth wheel and take it home.

The Reese sidewinder I believe is not compatible with the Anderson or any other goose ball conversion, if doing this it would allow for 2 turning points, not ideal

If possible have the dealer replace the sidewinder with a standard king pin box.

Brian

After looking furtheryou are right. Would need to have the original king pin installed.