User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

911 on the hot water system

This is our second time out with our Solitude and I am running into a issue with our hot water system. It has been on since yesterday and the water is barley warm. Yes I know about the switch in the heater. Currently I get about a quart of luke-warm water before it starts to cool off.
    Here is what I have so far.
    1. Both propane tanks are ON ( one is empty and the other half full.) Both gas range and heating work fine.
    2. Both ELECTRIC and GAS switches are on and illuminated RED.
    3. Checked 110 VAC Circuit breaker, did not see a dedicated fuse for any 12 associated.
    4. Noticed when I powered on the system the DSI fault did not flicker then go out like last time, it did nothing.
    5. Pressed reset switch on the heater itself.
    6. My understanding of this system is it can either be powered from propane or electric or both for a fast recovery.
    7. Heater is a Suburban SW-12DEL, no documentation included in the package but I did pull the doc down.
    8. Igniter switched turned off at the end of the last camping trip along with gas all water drained, there is plenty of water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are on the road do you think that Grand Design will send someone out to fix this?

Thanks

Joel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check outside "shower" make sure both valves are closed.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelbjr View Post
    This is our second time out with our Solitude and I am running into a issue with our hot water system. It has been on since yesterday and the water is barley warm. Yes I know about the switch in the heater. Currently I get about a quart of luke-warm water before it starts to cool off.
    Here is what I have so far.
    1. Both propane tanks are ON ( one is empty and the other half full.) Both gas range and heating work fine.
    2. Both ELECTRIC and GAS switches are on and illuminated RED.
    3. Checked 110 VAC Circuit breaker, did not see a dedicated fuse for any 12 associated.
    4. Noticed when I powered on the system the DSI fault did not flicker then go out like last time, it did nothing.
    5. Pressed reset switch on the heater itself.
    6. My understanding of this system is it can either be powered from propane or electric or both for a fast recovery.
    7. Heater is a Suburban SW-12DEL, no documentation included in the package but I did pull the doc down.
    8. Igniter switched turned off at the end of the last camping trip along with gas all water drained, there is plenty of water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are on the road do you think that Grand Design will send someone out to fix this?

Thanks

Joel
    Hi Joel,

Check that the outside shower taps are both turned off. If these are on, it will allow the hot and cold water to mix on the way to the other hot water taps. The water heaters tend to either heat to full temp or not work at all. Partially heated water is usually the outside shower taps left open.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you hear or see the propane burner running while it is turned on? Sounds like possibly a control board to me. Check if you have 12v coming into the water heater to start with. If you do then I would think control board.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the inputs, issue has been resolved.

Thanks everyone for your inouts the issue has been resolved ! Of course it is always something simple.

Yes I did use the outside faucet yesterday for spray down after connecting the sewer hose and did not turn it off. I am suspecting the reason the gas was not firing off is the water in the tank was actually hot enough and the electric is actually working,plenty of hot water now. I now do remember during the PDI the service tech telling me about the mixing if you left the valves open.

I see a couple of check valves in my future to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks everyone !!!