User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    I'm confused as to where I can fit ground bar and power distribution, along with wiring box inside the hitch cavity ??

Michael
    Hi Michael - A common connection point can be used for all ground wires if there is not room for a buss bar.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...268812822&th=1

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground Post.jpeg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    It appears your installation is on your new TT chassis ?? Correct ? Lots of room.
    I'm confused as to where I can fit ground bar and power distribution, along with wiring box inside the hitch cavity ??
    Michael - I found a lot of room along the A-Frame that is underneath the front cap of the trailer. You could even mount a disk brake controller under there if desired.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duh. About 6 months ago I replaced my "rats nest" in my pin box. It did not know a commercial box was even available so I used an ordinary terminal strip.
    I also replaced some wires to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190127_143149.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	18566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 Pin.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	18568

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2825Matheny View Post
    Duh. About 6 months ago I replaced my "rats nest" in my pin box. It did not know a commercial box was even available so I used an ordinary terminal strip.
    I also replaced some wires to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190127_143149.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	18566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 Pin.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	18568

Jamey, you do some fine work! Your schematic should be standard equipment on all GD trailers. Would be so helpful for owners to T-shoot or improve the stock wiring.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Jamey, you do some fine work! Your schematic should be standard equipment on all GD trailers. Would be so helpful for owners to T-shoot or improve the stock wiring.
    I can't seem to escape.
    You see, I'm a recovering engineer and I just can't get away from AutoCAD and the desire to document stuff.
    I've tried various things, but Sam Adams Boston Lager seems to work best.[emoji6]

Peggy and Jamey Matheny

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to escape.
    You see, I'm a recovering engineer and I just can't get away from AutoCAD and the desire to document stuff.
    I've tried various things, but Sam Adams Boston Lager seems to work best.[emoji6]

Come on out to WA and document my trailer and I'll keep ol' Sam on tap for you the whole time!

I suppose as a retired electrician I could do it myself but where's the fun in that?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    Personally, I think there's no real right or wrong way to do this - well, within reason. I'm sure some EE will scold me for saying this, however, we're not talking about moving around 1000's of electrons and high amperage. If you do a look up, you'll see the recommended wire gage for each of the pins in a 7-pin conductor. So to simplify things, I went with the recommended gage size. - i.e. the Blue brake wire is recommended 12AWG. I can assure you that each of those three wires in that 3M mashed together connector was NOT 12AWG. So I stripped them back, twisted all three together, inserted them into a yellow (10 to 12 AWG) butt splice, and crimped. On the other side of the butt splice I crimped a single 12AWG Blue wire and that went to the Blue wire post.

Again.....we're talking about moving around anywhere from 12VDC to 14VDC and less than ??maybe?? 25amps. That being the case 12AWG and 14AWG is sufficient. But hey - I could be wrong. I'm no electrical expert either. But I do know my sh....uh....stuff when it comes to Moonshine. LOL

Tom
    The only 7-pin circuit I have tested the amps on is the brakes. I have a tandem (4 brake assemblies), when I pulled the break-away switch I measured 13 amps of current. (a #12 AWG would do, but GD uses a #10 AWG).
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only 7-pin circuit I have tested the amps on is the brakes. I have a tandem (4 brake assemblies), when I pulled the break-away switch I measured 13 amps of current. (a #12 AWG would do, but GD uses a #10 AWG).
    I should clarify.....I did use 10AWG for the brake conductor and, at the risk of repeating, I used the recommended AWG of the typical 7-pin schema for each of the wires. Not sure that make sense (I hope so). Thanks for the info/input.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123