User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling frustrated

I’m trying to keep a positive attitude here, but, I’m running out of patients. I have had more than my share of problems on a brand new 2019 trailer. Now, the axle is probably going to need to be replaced. I sent an email to Dexter and copied Grand Design. I find it very difficult to recommend GD to anyone. I do like the customer service, however, this is getting ridicules. I’m really down in the dumps here. I went with Grand Design because I THOUGHT that they had a great quality control process. I’m beginning to feel differently now. If I had the email address for GD CEO, I would contact him. Feeling very frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent. Emily, if you read this, help me understand why I shouldn’t be upset. To many things are going wrong with this trailer. Where is the quality control? Why don’t the employees that build these trailers take pride in their work? You may say they do, but, given all my problems I really don’t think so.
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    I’m trying to keep a positive attitude here, but, I’m running out of patients. I have had more than my share of problems on a brand new 2019 trailer. Now, the axle is probably going to need to be replaced. I sent an email to Dexter and copied Grand Design. I find it very difficult to recommend GD to anyone. I do like the customer service, however, this is getting ridicules. I’m really down in the dumps here. I went with Grand Design because I THOUGHT that they had a great quality control process. I’m beginning to feel differently now. If I had the email address for GD CEO, I would contact him. Feeling very frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent. Emily, if you read this, help me understand why I shouldn’t be upset. To many things are going wrong with this trailer. Where is the quality control? Why don’t the employees that build these trailers take pride in their work? You may say they do, but, given all my problems I really don’t think so.
    Looking back over your posts I understand your frustration, Nick1234. I hope you get your warranty issues straightened out soon.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nick,
    Look for my PM . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nick. I see you've made contact with Emily Stahley on Facebook. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Look for my PM . . .
    Rob
    Rob. Thanks for the PM. I was informed by someone on facebook that both bearings have the same id. I did verify that to be correct. So, other than feeling like a real fool/idiot, I am going to disassemble tomorrow and replace the bearing/race with the proper LM67048 bearing. I guess with the different bearing/race installed, it kind of through me for a loop. I guess that's part of learning. I imagine that when Dexter and GD open their emails tomorrow, they will want to know who this idiot is. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dimensions for the race 15245 (bearing 15123) measures outside dia is 2.4409. The dimension for race LM67010 (bearing LM67048) measures 2.328. So LM67010 race won’t work in the same hub. To small
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    I’m at thr GD rally in Vegas. We’re in site 12. I wanted to shake your hand for all
    Of the help I ha e learned from you iber the years. Today you were with the guy from Delaware and his Momentum so I didn’t want to bither you. We’ll be leaving around 10 or 11 to head back to the OC in Cali, Brea actually. If I dont see you, safe travels. Maybe next time. Thank you. Rick Lewis, aka “HawgWild”. Cheers!
    Rick & B
    2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L, LB, SRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS Fifth Wheel
    Pullrite Superlite 20K

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dimensions for the race 15245 (bearing 15123) measures outside dia is 2.4409. The dimension for race LM67010 (bearing LM67048) measures 2.328. So LM67010 race won’t work in the same hub. To small
    The bearings 15123, LM67048 are used in different hubs per weight rating as far as I can tell.
    I remember having a hard time installing the hubs on a new dexter axle, I'd get within an 1" of fully seated, stopped took drum off and measured bearings, spindle again.
    Tried again, had to wiggle the drum left and right before I could get the drum to seat..
    I realize this doesn't speak to your spindles not looking the same.

The Dexter Kits show the Drum and bearings used in each.
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=15

LM67048 Bearing used
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dexter K08-201-97 6K Axle with 008-201-05 Hub.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	18437
    Dexter 008-201-05 https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Dexter+008-201-05
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...e/8-201-5.html
    Application: 5,200-lb Dexter axles with spindles that require a 2-1/8" or 2-1/4" ID grease seal
    Works with both electric and hydraulic brakes
    Drum dimensions: 12" diameter x 2" wide
    Bolt pattern: 6 on 5-1/2"
    Requires bearings, seal and grease cap (sold separately)
    Bearings:
    Inner bearing: 25580 inner
    Outer bearing: LM67048
    Grease seal: 10-1 (single lip seal) or 10-10 (double lip for E-Z Lube axles)
    Grease cap: RG04-080 (E-Z Lube axles) or RG04-060 (standard axles)
    Capacity: 2,600 lbs

15123 Bearing used

Name:	Dexter K08-201-91 6K Axle with 008-201-09 Hub.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	18438
    https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Dexter+008-201-09
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...xle/42656.html
    Dexter Trailer Hub and Drum for 5,200-lb and 6,000-lb Axles - 12" Diameter - 6 on 5-1/2
    Specs:
    Application: 5,200-lb and 6,000-lb axles
    Drum dimensions: 12" diameter x 2" wide
    Works with 12" brake assembly
    Bolt pattern: 6 on 5-1/2"
    Wheel bolt diameter: 1/2"
    Weight capacity: 3,000 lbs

Bearing, Race, and Seal Information
    Bearings (sold separately)
    Inner bearing: 25580 (1.750" inner diameter)
    Outer bearing: 15123 (1.250" inner diameter)
    Races (included)
    Inner race: 25520
    Outer race: 15245
    Grease seal (sold separately): GS-2125DL
    Inner diameter: 2.125"
    Outer diameter: 3.376"
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, mystery solved. I disassembled wheel again and took a close look at the spindles. I see that there is raised metal and scoring marks on the spindle. I took some emery cloth and removed the raised metal and smoothed out the spindle. Bearing LM67048 now slides onto the spindle. I called Dexter to ask if these score marks could compromise the integrity of the spindle. She told me it wouldn't. I explained how the breaks on this wheel were destroyed, and there was different bearing grease in these bearings and opposed to the other 3. She did a vin search and found that during transport from the factory, there was a bearing failure in Roseville Ca. So, I guess the company that fixed things didn't have the correct parts for this axle. That's why the drum/hub is different and bearings are not consistent. I have attached photos of the spindle, after I cleaned it up with the emery cloth. Spindles are very smooth now. Just some scoring marks.

Top of spindle

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	18445

Bottom of spindle

Name:	IMG_2237.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	18446
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is bad news. There was a problem with a bearing on the delivery route, repaired by some shop, delivered to dealer, delivered to you, at this point know one told you what had happened on delivery route.
    That is not good by delivery driver, or the dealer if they knew. I am not sure why Dexter thinks that this is ok, I would want this replaced, those score marks will continue to eat bearings , in my opinion.
    Unacceptable to say the least, I would pursue further if you can.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast