Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bad Winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Winter

New to the forum...We have been a Grand Design owner since we bought a Reflection 337 in 2016. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Last fall I had an 18 x 40 x 12 foot carport built to keep the snow off the roof of our Reflection. Worked great until we had multiple snow storms...over 3' of snow and a blizzard with gusts of 50+ took it down...It destroyed our camper and the car port. I retired at the first of the year and my wife plans on retiring mid year. We are waiting for our insurance to settle and will be buying a new 5th Wheel and heading south next winter. Looking at the Solitude 344...pricey but looks like a nice unit. Is the 344 large enough for long stays?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    New to the forum...We have been a Grand Design owner since we bought a Reflection 337 in 2016. We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Last fall I had an 18 x 40 x 12 foot carport built to keep the snow off the roof of our Reflection. Worked great until we had multiple snow storms...over 3' of snow and a blizzard with gusts of 50+ took it down...It destroyed our camper and the car port. I retired at the first of the year and my wife plans on retiring mid year. We are waiting for our insurance to settle and will be buying a new 5th Wheel and heading south next winter. Looking at the Solitude 344...pricey but looks like a nice unit. Is the 344 large enough for long stays?
    Welcome to the forum. My friend (Northerner as he's known here but not very active) and his DW love the UP! After your description of the winter I can't imagine why.

I don't have any insight on your question. Hopefully someone with knowledge will be along soon.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for a couple y'all will be ok. We're in a 310 which is 2' shorter , and it's pretty roomy for us we don't full time but do go 2-3 week trips.
    Happy trails.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. What took you so long? ;-). So sorry to hear about your misfortune.

We have members that live full time in smaller Reflection and Imagine travel trailers who do quite will with the available space. The 344 is about a foot longer than our old Reflection 337. We would have been very comfortable living in that rig.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Solitude 369RL and live in it in FL every winter, Jan 1 - mid April. Comfortable for us. Also, the Solitude line is wider than Reflections so a little more knee room around the kitchen island or around the bed. We're in Lakeland, look for us next year.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear about your camper as stated you can replace it good luck and enjoy
    ps i to retire in 10 days happy travels

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your RV! I've had a few folks in between the 310 and 344 for FT time use, and the majority chose the 344 due to the larger pantry/desk area as well as the larger 14' awning on the slide for outdoor use. Good sweet spot for size..

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome o the forum, the silver lining to the bad weather is you get a new camper. Hope you get a speedy settlement.
    You're about an hour away from one of my favorite areas to camp (but not with the 303)
    in the Sturrgeon River Wilderness area. Next trip up we'll likely scout out some forest lands on the western side that hopefully can fit us. Years ago we dabbled with the idea of moving to the UP in the Bessemer/Ironwood area , but once we saw the largest building around was a mental health facility (and a lack of jobs) we decided the winters were to tough for us even back then.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The west end of the UP is a well kept secret...
    Is beautiful and a lot of public land. Lots of federal forest campgrounds, state parks, state forest campgrounds, public utility rec sites, etc.. also state and fed land open to remote camping but check land use rules. Got our settlement from insurance and will be looking at new rigs this week.