User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 18cf door flap not closing properly

We’re on our second fridge in our months-old Solitude. The door flap on the first would not close properly and eventually the dealer had to replace the fridge because its floor had buckled up and made flap closure impossible. For a couple of months the new fridge worked well but then the flap started sticking again, jamming against the floor just like the first one. Lots of other people have had this problem. Grrrrr!

I bought a brass washer with a 5/16” hole. Opened the left hand door and pulled the upper hinge cover off - it just slides forward easily. Removed the three screws on the upper hinge and then lifted the entire door off its lower hinge pin. Placed the brass washer on the lower hinge pin and reinstalled the door and hinge cover. Easy peasy.

The washer raises the door slightly and the flap no longer rubs against the floor of the fridge so it closes properly. For now. Fingers crossed.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    We’re on our second fridge in our months-old Solitude. The door flap on the first would not close properly and eventually the dealer had to replace the fridge because its floor had buckled up and made flap closure impossible. For a couple of months the new fridge worked well but then the flap started sticking again, jamming against the floor just like the first one. Lots of other people have had this problem. Grrrrr!

I bought a brass washer with a 5/16” hole. Opened the left hand door and pulled the upper hinge cover off - it just slides forward easily. Removed the three screws on the upper hinge and then lifted the entire door off its lower hinge pin. Placed the brass washer on the lower hinge pin and reinstalled the door and hinge cover. Easy peasy.

The washer raises the door slightly and the flap no longer rubs against the floor of the fridge so it closes properly. For now. Fingers crossed.
    ^^^ Yup^^^

I did the same thing. Not a hiccup since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't put anything in the left-side door. If it's like ours the entire bottom where the hinge pin is will give out. They just can't take the weight. We ended up getting a replacement door. The factory was out (wonder why?), but we managed to find one reseller that had some in stock.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have said "where the hinge pin hole is"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue.
    Fortunately, all it took was silicone sprayed in friction points to get the hinged mullion freed up and moving as it should.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your solution working. My fridge just started having the same issue. We have to pull it into position each time we close the left hand door.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slhicks View Post
    Is your solution working. My fridge just started having the same issue. We have to pull it into position each time we close the left hand door.
    It's not clear who and who's solution you're asking about. When responding to someone here, click on the "Reply With Quote" link in the post you're responding to so the author of that post gets a notification of your response and it's clear to everyone what you're asking about.

If you are responding to me and the washer/hinge pin mod that started this thread then yes, it's still working fine months later.

We've taken the advice of @[email protected] (and others in this forum) and now keep only a few light-weight things in the left-hand door to minimize the load on that lower hinge and the too-weak door base that it connects to.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the bronze/brass washer fix on the left hand door, worked like a charm....for one month. Door flap started sticking again. Argggh.
    Jim & Sandy
    Lambo (Lamborghini) Silver Labrador
    Sadie (Mercedes Hildegaard) German Shepherd
    2019 351M Momentum
    2017 F350 CC SRW LWB KR (Copper Ox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the bottom of the door. You may find that portion of the door is collapsing.

We found the only safe recommendation to be NOTHING stored in the left door, and a few light items on the right (ketchup, mustard, that sort of thing). Once the door is broken, the only fix is a replacement. When we did ours we found ONE dealer with a few in stock.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Look at the bottom of the door. You may find that portion of the door is collapsing.

We found the only safe recommendation to be NOTHING stored in the left door, and a few light items on the right (ketchup, mustard, that sort of thing). Once the door is broken, the only fix is a replacement. When we did ours we found ONE dealer with a few in stock.
    We have had the same door flap issue twice now. Also, the wire plug at the midway point keeps unplugging. Just had a meltdown in the fridge and lost all food before discovering the plug unplugged. Can someone tell me how significant this door flap close issue is to keeping it cool? What is the plug in the door running to? I will report tomorrow after a 8 hour run after the plug was reconnected.
    Jim & Deb
    Littleton, CO
    2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Long Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2019 Solitude 380FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast