Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just purchased 2019 Reflection 285BHTS - New to forum

Hello fellow Grand Design owners!

My family and I just purchased a 2019 Reflection 285BHTS. This will be our third trailer, and we are graduating up from a 2013 Jayco Jay Feather 23M. We generally squeeze in at least 25, but sometimes as many as 35, nights in the trailer each year; largely, if not entirely, in upstate NY and the Adirondack mountains. We are a family of four with two teenagers, one son and one daughter.

We have not picked up the unit yet and I would love to hear any advice on what we should look for in the walk through, and on/after the first few trips.

Thanks in advance, and happy to be a Grand Design owner!

Eric Hathaway
    2019 GD Reflection 285BHTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric

Welcome to the forum. In our reference library there is an extensive PDI , pre delivery inspection , list of things to check at your walk thru.
    Any other questions feel free to ask, lots of help here.

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Eric and family. Enjoy that new trailer.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ECH325 View Post

My family and I just purchased a 2019 Reflection 285BHTS. This will be our third trailer, and we are graduating up from a 2013 Jayco Jay Feather 23M. We generally squeeze in at least 25, but sometimes as many as 35, nights in the trailer each year; largely, if not entirely, in upstate NY and the Adirondack mountains. We are a family of four with two teenagers, one son and one daughter.

We have not picked up the unit yet and I would love to hear any advice on what we should look for in the walk through, and on/after the first few trips.

Eric Hathaway
    Welcome to the forum, Eric. As Brian mentioned, look in the Reference Library and you should find the Pre-Delivery Checklists.

I also suggest typing in "PDI" into this forum's search engine (white rectangular box, far right near the top) and then clicking the small magnifying glass icon. You'll have many, many threads to read that will yield a lot of suggestions.

If you have any questions about the forum or anything else feel free to post away.

BTW--love upstate NY. Spent my first years in the AF at the former Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. Have many found memories of that beautiful area.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys.

Thank you! Glad to be here...and really looking forward to picking up the new coach. I appreciate your PDI suggestions and things to look for.

I've downloaded the PDI checklist and will be sending it along to the dealer later this afternoon. I hoping to get a warm response to such a comprehensive list.

Howard, I've been to Griffiss AFB long ago and far away with the scouts on several occasions...it was quite an experience to see the bombers etc.

Thanks again guys.

Eric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, what are you using to pull that rig?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ECH325 View Post

Eric Hathaway
    Congratulations on your new RV. We love upstate NY. We were just there in September with our new 2019 303RLS. Had a great time. Happy camping!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Triple Threat.

I am towing with a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.7L Hemi, 8-speed trans., 3.92 axle ratio. Max towing (rated with a standard ball and hitch) is listed at 9,850...with a max payload rating of 1,480.

For weight distribution I use an Equal-i-zer hitch, 12,000 lb.

All up, all in, I am (could be) within 200-300 lbs of max towing capacity and within 250-350 of max payload.

I rarely, if ever, tow the trailer with anything but a few gallons sloshing around in the fresh, grey, and black tanks (mostly for cleaning). I always fill when we arrive at the campground.

With intelligent use of the storage, we should be good. Fortunately, the largest storage area in the 285BHTS is in the rear, so if anything I will need to keep an eye on dropping my effective tongue weight below 10% of gross rather than the worrying about overloading max payload on the Ram.

My total weight is increasing roughly 2,500 lbs over my last rig (2013 Jayco 23M), but as for "all the additional stuff" that gets packed, the "stuff" is merely moving from the bed of the truck into the trailer itself. Oddly enough, the (listed) tongue weight is only increasing by ~95 lbs over the Jayco. I had upgraded the Jayco to 30 lb tanks, so it might actually be closer to the same effective tongue weight when all is said and done.

Why the 285BHTS?>
    When we started the eval on new trailers, I never considered getting one as large as the 285BHTS...as a matter of fact, we are increasing our overall length (over the Jayco 23M) by just about 10'. We've enjoyed the benefits of a short trailer for the last five years, so something this size be new for us. The floorplan on the 285BHTS met every need we had, and then some. Inside storage, kitchen, bunkhouse, and master...is just exceptional. External storage, especially the large rear storage, is a dream. We had VERY little storage in the Jayco 23M.

We required a larger set of bunks, double-width with open ends on them for the two teenagers. My son is 15 and currently 6'-2" and still growing...all boxed end bunks are either 72" or 74" max. He doesn't fit in the bunks of the 23M any longer! Most bunks with open "clipped" ends (such as in the 2600BH) are 74" in length and half the open end is clipped off to something considerably shorter. The 285BHTS is perfect in that respect, and in that the bunks run along the back wall, thereby not "protruding" into the living space as much. Close the pocket door and they are out of sight and out of mind.

The 285BHTS is perfect for our family, and we really looking forward to getting to use it!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last point I forgot to mention.

We learned with the old trailer that the large U-shaped dinette never got used. Couldn't easily fit four, and now my son can't even get his legs under it.

So, we have a unique 285BHTS in that our has the "Theater sofa" sofa rather than the U-shaped Dinette. It is what absolutely sold us on this model, and this specific unit.

The dealer is providing us with the fold down OEM booth dinette table from the Reflection 312BHTS, which we will use as a "coffee table" when collapsed. We'll keep two wood folding chairs under the tri-fold couch, and can extend the table to eating height and use the tri-fold couch and two chairs as our "dinette" when we need to. Given we don't/haven't used our previous dinette for anything other than another horizontal surface to pile stuff...I doubt we will miss having a permanently affixed dinette. We will, however, use the large sofa nearly every day...especially the reclining feature!

Here is a photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Theater Sofa.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	18560

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slauretani View Post
    Congratulations on your new RV. We love upstate NY. We were just there in September with our new 2019 303RLS. Had a great time. Happy camping!
    Congratulations on your purchase! My husband and I grew up in the ADK Mts. Tupper Lake to be exact. Continue enjoying those beautiful mountain vistas and travel safely[emoji258]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg